Men's Fashion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I used to measure mid-thigh, but read that you are actually supposed to just go at the largest part. And I was wrong, it's a touch over 23 inches.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
Speaking of jeans, does anyone know of any good brands for someone with big legs? Been back at the gym a lot lately and my quads have blown up. It's business casual here, but today I'm wearing jeans and holy crap they're tight! I don't want fat people jeans (I'm 165), just something that might fit better in the upper legs. I want to say I'm at 24" legs at the moment.
Levi's 569 series have served me quite well for the last couple of years. They're loose enough around the thighs without looking "baggy". But I guess it depends on the person really.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I really like Naked and Famous jeans, They're raw denim like mentioned above though which isn't everybody's thing.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know a good comfortable sandal that isn't the toe thong style?
A couple friends swear by Birkenstocks. Never worn them personally. I've had a few pairs of athletic sandals over the years that are super comfortable, but they're definitely not fashionable.

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
A couple friends swear by Birkenstocks. Never worn them personally. I've had a few pairs of athletic sandals over the years that are super comfortable, but they're definitely not fashionable.
second this, don't think such a thing exists...
wink.png

Gauss_sl

shitlord
Got a decent suit from jos a bank. Had to be tailored to fucking hell. Looked like mc hammer pants
I went there and left empty handed because everything is way too frumpy for a guy of a normal BMI. Ended up buying a suit from Express, and it is stylish as hell, tapered at the midsection, and required no tailoring save for the cuffs. I will only be wearing this suit for very special situations, so I wasn't concerned about it wearing out, as Express clothes seem to do.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I went there and left empty handed because everything is way too frumpy for a guy of a normal BMI. Ended up buying a suit from Express, and it is stylish as hell, tapered at the midsection, and required no tailoring save for the cuffs. I will only be wearing this suit for very special situations, so I wasn't concerned about it wearing out, as Express clothes seem to do.
If you are looking for a good quality suit at a decent price check out Nordstrom's Rack. I picked up a Ben Sherman suit there for ~$250, they will even tailor it for free if you buy a suit from them.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought some shirts at brooks brothers, should I go back there to get them tailored to fit better or is that the kind of thing anyone competent can do.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought some shirts at brooks brothers, should I go back there to get them tailored to fit better or is that the kind of thing anyone competent can do.
I've never had a problem with shirts from Brooks Brothers fitting me so I've never had to have them tailor them... but if they will tailor them for free, you might as well. I've always had good results when they've tailored my suits that I bought there.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah after wearing the suit a few times, I'll probably not buy there again. It really had to be tailored to hell and most likely not worth it. I'm not obese but of a bigger than average frame. Jacket fit like a champ, pants were like MC hammer pants and made for someone 8 foot 3 inches tall.

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
Depending on what your issue is with Brooks Brothers shirts Charles Tyrwhitt might fit you better. I've basically moved away from Brooks Brothers to CT shirts because CT shirts are much more tailored, and I don't have to spend $170 to get a shirt without a pocket. The other upsides include being able to pick your cuffs, spread collars, and metal collar stays. The only downside to CT is that I like instant gratification, and shipping from England doesn't help with that. Anyhow, they are almost always running a 4 for $200 special on shirts. I've also managed to pick up gift card coupons on sites like Living Social for 1/2 off and then use them on the shirts.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Where do you guys buy shoes?

I'm a big fan of Johnston and Murphy and just bought a couple new pairs last night but I'm wondering if there are other shoemakers with similar quality but a lower price point. I'm redefining my wardrobe right now and have been spending probably more money than I should be so I'm looking for alternatives. To me a shoe can really make or break an outfit so I spend a lot of time looking for the right shoe.

Here is the black pair I bought, very traditional, classic look:
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...1372&pid=22178

Here is a brown pair I bought:
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...1215&pid=85232

And I have a nice pair of darker brown wingtips. It was a spur of the moment thing, but I'm feeling like I may have overpaid for the black ones, though they are really comfortable. All leather soles are pretty tricky to walk in, I slide everywhere.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depending on what your issue is with Brooks Brothers shirts Charles Tyrwhitt might fit you better. I've basically moved away from Brooks Brothers to CT shirts because CT shirts are much more tailored, and I don't have to spend $170 to get a shirt without a pocket. The other upsides include being able to pick your cuffs, spread collars, and metal collar stays. The only downside to CT is that I like instant gratification, and shipping from England doesn't help with that. Anyhow, they are almost always running a 4 for $200 special on shirts. I've also managed to pick up gift card coupons on sites like Living Social for 1/2 off and then use them on the shirts.
Nice thanks, i'll check them out.

As an aside I've gotten a lot of compliments on my BB shirts so I suppose they look fine. Although it could be that it's just an upgrade from my usual boring look.

Shoes I had luck with Rockport. Comfortable and looks good. Not crazy expensive.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
allen edmonds are among the top made american dress shoes. I tend to favour italian shoe makers - ferragamo, artigiano, magnanni, all make excellent oxfords, some I have had over a decade and still look as good as the day I bought them. I have not had good experience with church's, I felt the quality was inferior. The holy grail of british shoes is john lobb, which are too rich for my blood. Its best to get a classic oxford/wingtip/cap-toe, you can look in the 50% off sale racks for past seasons and these types of shoes never go out of style. Stay away from monk strap, loafers, heavy brogue etc. at first until you have built up at least 3-5 pairs of more traditional styles.

A good shoe will last a long time, but only with proper care. If you are buying a 400+ USD shoe, invest in a (cedar) shoe tree, leave the shoes unworn two days for every day you wear it (this means you will need at least 3 pairs of shoes to get you through a week), and polish the shoes once a month or every 8 times you wear them, whichever occurs first. If you aren't prepared to take care of the shoes, then it will be a waste of money - keep buying your cole haan's or whatever every 2 years.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
allen edmonds are among the top made american dress shoes. I tend to favour italian shoe makers - ferragamo, artigiano, magnanni, all make excellent oxfords, some I have had over a decade and still look as good as the day I bought them. I have not had good experience with church's, I felt the quality was inferior. The holy grail of british shoes is john lobb, which are too rich for my blood. Its best to get a classic oxford/wingtip/cap-toe, you can look in the 50% off sale racks for past seasons and these types of shoes never go out of style. Stay away from monk strap, loafers, heavy brogue etc. at first until you have built up at least 3-5 pairs of more traditional styles.
Ferragamo seems to suffer from the "Buy my name, not my quality" syndrome. Don't get me wrong, the shoes look great but... ~900 USD for a wingtip? ~300 USD for a polo shirt? Gimme a break. The Magnanni stuff seems a lot more reasonable. I almost threw up when I saw the prices on the John Lobb lines.

I think I'm going to start buying Allen Edmonds as everyone says the same thing "Great quality, last forever, can get them repaired whenever needed".