Metal Gear Solid V

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So this is the free game on PS+ this month and I am finally checking it out, couple hours in, Fultoned(sp?) a few dudes, did some RnD chilled out in the chopper listening to audio tapes and I don't get it. The menus and menu controls are fucking terrible and game play isn't doing it for me. Did I miss the boat, does it get better as I unlock more stuff?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd give it some more time. I still think MGS4 is the worst game I played on PS3 (or at least tied with Star Ocean 4), but I absolutely loved MGSV even with all its issues due to the Kojima/Konami fallout. Unless you really don't like the stealth gameplay at all, I'd at least give it to a couple missions beyond where you find Quiet.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
And then the story just gives the fuck up and progression makes no sense, but you're 95% complete at that point.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The plot to this game is some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen. Even for Metal Gear standards.

That being said the open word gameplay is pretty fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There is nothing like having your Chopper come in knowing down dudes to Asia's Heat of the Moment blaring in their speaker system.

Or.... This...

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Sept 2015 was a different era, we were all so young and innocent and thought MGS 5 was a pretty ok game

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I played the entire series in the lead up to 5's release. I never even came close to finishing 5.

3 was probably my favorite and maybe just because that theme song was so amazing. I had tried to play 4 many many many times and could never get very far into that either, but the last time I forced myself to keep going. I think by the end I had decided I enjoyed 4 as well, it's just a slog to get into.

• 1Solidarity

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
4 and 5 are the only ones I personally played all the way through. I wasn't allowed to have a console as a kid when 1 and 2 were released so I just played small bits at friend's houses. 3 I only ever watched streamers play.

SeanDoe1z1

I bought a PS4 for FXV, was looking to try some of the other games I missed on ps platform...probably glad I read this thread.

Loved the shit out of the older MGS games. MGS4 i shelved fast but I still wanted to give this a go...probably not.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Eh plenty of people loved it. Maybe I was just burnt out on the entire thing by the time I got to it.

spronk

FPS noob
I bought a PS4 for FXV, was looking to try some of the other games I missed on ps platform...probably glad I read this thread.

Loved the shit out of the older MGS games. MGS4 i shelved fast but I still wanted to give this a go...probably not.

MGS 5 is the free PS+ game this month so if you have PS+ ... even if you don't, its still an ok spin for the $5-10 it goes on sale for, regularly

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I played the entire series in the lead up to 5's release. I never even came close to finishing 5.

3 was probably my favorite and maybe just because that theme song was so amazing. I had tried to play 4 many many many times and could never get very far into that either, but the last time I forced myself to keep going. I think by the end I had decided I enjoyed 4 as well, it's just a slog to get into.

3 was my absolute favorite as well. I played the story line of MGSV and enjoyed it a lot. The story definitely has its wtf moments though

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i wanted to resume playing after i had stopped earlier for reasons forgotten

could not get past menu, remembered why i quit it, uninstalled

gg ez

Sulrn

Deuces
So this is the free game on PS+ this month and I am finally checking it out, couple hours in, Fultoned(sp?) a few dudes, did some RnD chilled out in the chopper listening to audio tapes and I don't get it. The menus and menu controls are fucking terrible and game play isn't doing it for me. Did I miss the boat, does it get better as I unlock more stuff?

The game play does improve with more unlocks, but only to a certain point. My suggestion is if you aren't enjoying the bat shit insanity/absurdity of the story to just quit. I absolutely loved the game, but I won't sit here and say it doesn't have issues. To me it was a themed amusement park with some rides being better than others and having to deal with some dumb queues before getting on the next one.

I also have a weird association between it and ME3. - every time I think of MGS5 I cry internally about how far ME3 missed the mark by the potentially easy conversion from MGS5 highlights (base assaults w/ Quiet/D-Walker, vehicle use, blackhawk rides, and sound tracks). I felt like I was let out of the closet after years of playing an NES and interacting with a PS4 for the first time. Even for a separation of three years, the tactical game play quality is outrageously staggering.

Probably because I wish a quality studio would take over the SOCOM IP and bring back a real squad-based tactical shooter. I don't think we've had a real one since SOCOM 2? Even if MGS5 was pretty close.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
its solo not squad but I really enjoyed the tactical elements of Hitman 2016, especially with literally hundreds of ways to assassinate targets per level. The stealth stuff was my favorite part of MGS5 too, although I absolutely hated the timer.

Hitman is on sale on PSN/xbox/steam this week too

Sulrn

Deuces
its solo not squad but I really enjoyed the tactical elements of Hitman 2016, especially with literally hundreds of ways to assassinate targets per level. The stealth stuff was my favorite part of MGS5 too, although I absolutely hated the timer.

Hitman is on sale on PSN/xbox/steam this week too

I bought it while I was deployed. Still haven't gotten to it or Absolution yet -getting there though. Raises the point that the only good tactical stealth games are solo missions now because no one has put serious effort to recreate or improve what Zipper Interactive started. Looking out how we went from a solid game like SOCOM on PS2 to an utter fail of GR:W on PC makes we want to burn places like EA/Ubisoft/Sega to the ground.