Metal Gear Solid V

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
High Quality Video Download via Gametrailers (10mb/sec):http://trailers-ak.gametrailers.com/...son_10kbps.mp4

1080p, 60fps. Their shitty webplayer is only using 720p/30fps so don't bother with it.

Difference is pretty big. PS4 version looks amazing. Xbone version is closer to the X360 version than it is the PS4, go go 720p!
Wow. The difference is huge between the PS4 and the rest. Easily as large a difference between the PS4 and the Xbox one as there is from the Xbox One to the 360/PS3. PS4 looks like what I would expect it to be on a higher end PC, crisp without going utterly blurry while in movement.

Sean_sl

shitlord
MGS:GZ : Screenshot Comparison

Xbone (720p native upscaled to 1080p) Vs PS4 (1080p native) picture. Anyone who doesn't see the difference there is blind as fuck.

And here's the Xbone Vs X360 lol:MGS:GZ : Screenshot Comparison

And PS3 to PS4:MGS:GZ : Screenshot Comparison

Also:

vBKXl2y.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh, if you'd claimed the first link was PS4 vs. PS3 I wouldn't have questioned it.

Szlia

While there is a clear technological winner, I am not so sure I prefer the PS4 images. They are so crisp they look artificial, a bit like pictures of a diorama. The 2nd PS3 vs PS4 shot for instance with the rain and the mud works for me a lot better with the slight blur and lesser details of the PS3 version.

It's funny, when MGS got released on the PS1 15 years ago, it made a very daring visual choice: using extremely low resolution textures. It was a stroke of genius, because the brain of the gamer just extrapolated from there and it felt you could count the pens in Otacon's pocket and read the labels of the cardboard boxes. Now on PS4 you can actually do that, but our imagination is no longer needed.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
While there is a clear technological winner, I am not so sure I prefer the PS4 images. They are so crisp they look artificial, a bit like pictures of a diorama. The 2nd PS3 vs PS4 shot for instance with the rain and the mud works for me a lot better with the slight blur and lesser details of the PS3 version.

It's funny, when MGS got released on the PS1 15 years ago, it made a very daring visual choice: using extremely low resolution textures. It was a stroke of genius, because the brain of the gamer just extrapolated from there and it felt you could count the pens in Otacon's pocket and read the labels of the cardboard boxes. Now on PS4 you can actually do that, but our imagination is no longer needed.
Can agree with that. The medal or whatever it is looks more natural on the PS3. Kind of overly saturated or somesuch on the PS4. Too crisp and bright. Would have trouble understanding that it is supposed to be wet with waterdrops on it without having seen the PS3 version image also. As a still image that is, it is clear on the video.

So, from the in game video, I highly prefer the PS4 version overall. And can you imagine if Microsoft, as a defense to clearly having the lower tech, comes out with "Oh yeah, we can see it is less detail, but just squint your eyes and imagine and you will release all the hidden potential! Xbox, the power of your mind, nothing can compete!"
smile.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Visual choice? I don't think the PS1's hardware gave them too many options on how clear the textures would be.

Szlia

No matter the hardware, you have a texture budget that must be balanced between resolution and diversity. Konami for MGS made the unusual choice to go for a great diversity of very low resolution textures (a swan song for pixel art really).

EDIT: Just to be clear, the texture were very low resolution even by the standards of the time.

Chris

Potato del Grande
...and I remember MGS having very good (if mostly green) graphics for the time. Just goes to show that much of the graphics arms race is pointless.

Vaclav

Is it just me or does the non-PS4 stuff look almost doable in EQ Landmark?

Szlia

Photochop time: do you prefer the upper or lower part?

2B4QQbp.jpg

Top part is PS4 original, bottom part is PS4 with 0.3 pixels of gaussian blur. I prefer the lower part

EDIT: I had to host the image on imgur because rerolled recompressed it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I do not understand why you'd want to make stuff look worse dude. Crisp stuff is better, blur is shit.

Vorph

The upper half just needs better AA, not a full-screen vaseline filter.

Vaclav

Besides actually playing it will generate some effective blurring anyhow.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yay:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-xbox-one.aspx

Following furor over the length of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Konami is dropping the price for the new-generation version. The PS4 and Xbox One versions are now $29.99 for physical and digital versions.

No changes have been made to the price of last-generation versions. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions will remain $29.99 for physical copies and $19.99 for digital.

First run retail copies of Ground Zeroes and, for a limited time, digital versions will unlock content for the upcoming Phantom Pain in the form of additional resources for Mother Base. Additionally, anyone who purchases Ground Zeroes can unlock content that will carry over to Phantom Pain, including prisoners, VIPs, and character skins.

Finally, Konami has announced an iDroid app that mirror's Big Boss' in-game communications device. The app will allow players to access the map, call in air support, or play cassette tapes on a second screen. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is coming to Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3 on March 18.