Metroid Prime Remastered

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Switch remake of one of the best games of all time, and my favorite non-Bioshock first-person shooter. Looks like it didn't just get a basic remaster, it got a full-on semi-remake with redesigned textures and so on.

1676007560009.png

1676007596682.png

Looks freaking fantastic. Out now digitally on the eShop ($40), and February 22nd for physical copies (currently available to pre-order on the Best Buy website for $39.99, don't see it anywhere else). I went and preordered it from Best Buy since one retailer set off some "could sell out" alarm bells.

Visual comparison.

Also, one of the best file select themes I've ever heard.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wow Nintendo never cease to be mediocre as fuck. After 20 years you managed to remaster a game from 480p to 720p at 30 frames.

Did they at least hit 60? I take that back not even sure if they hit 60.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wow Nintendo never cease to be mediocre as fuck. After 20 years you managed to remaster a game from 480p to 720p at 30 frames.

It's 60 on the actual system AFAIK but I could be wrong, someone who has it would need to weigh in. 22nd for me.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
it's 60fps and they redid almost all of the assets from what I understand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
runs at 60 fps even on a steam deck under ryujinx with a few frame drops, two crashes in older versions of ryujinx apparently but the devs have fixed that already in latest update. I'm sure there will be crazy patches to do upscaled textures and better AA on a desktop PC soon

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I suggest buying this on Switch rather than doing any shady emulation shenanigans. It's 1080/60 with hugely upgraded textures and lighting effects (comparable to the Demon's Souls remaster). It's important to support this so that Nintendo will remaster the other two in the same way (and maybe get us MP4 after all). Even if you're gonna play it on emulator cause it got a 4k mod or something, support the official release. Metroid has never been a huge seller and needs all the support it can get so Nintendo will get the message that the series is actually popular. That doesn't happen when 25% of the potential buyers are playing it on PC instead. I say this as a Metroid fan who lived through several massive content droughts (1994-2002, 2008-2018) because Nintendo didn't think there was fan interest in the series.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I suggest buying this on Switch rather than doing any shady emulation shenanigans. It's 1080/60 with hugely upgraded textures and lighting effects (comparable to the Demon's Souls remaster). It's important to support this so that Nintendo will remaster the other two in the same way (and maybe get us MP4 after all). Even if you're gonna play it on emulator cause it got a 4k mod or something, support the official release. Metroid has never been a huge seller and needs all the support it can get so Nintendo will get the message that the series is actually popular. That doesn't happen when 25% of the potential buyers are playing it on PC instead. I say this as a Metroid fan who lived through several massive content droughts (1994-2002, 2008-2018) because Nintendo didn't think there was fan interest in the series.

This confuses me. You think Nintendo doesn't understand the massive popularity of Metroid? You think they send lawyers out to hunt down independent Metroid remakes and squash them because it is so unpopular? Nintendo purposefully does this shit and it is hilarious as fuck when it bites them in the ass. All the fans really want are updated versions of the Metroid they love (Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Zero Mission) but Nintendo ignores them to put out total shit. This remake is bullshit because they should have been making Switch sequels to Prime instead of that unfun, soulless abomination they released last year and a remake of a game everyone who gives a shit has already played. They could have been making new Metroid fans out of the youth of the last 10 years, but they continue to bungle it spectacularly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

This is no where fucking CLOSE to the Demon Souls remake. And you can obviously tell from the video grab they did jack shit with most of the assets. At best some particle effects have been reworked.

We have all seen remasters from Nintendo before and how lazy they fucking are. Don't get me wrong, for those that didn't have a Gamecube it's a fun game (With a metric fuckton of backtracking which will confuse anyone under the age of 30) Expect camera issues galore, control should be mapped correctly (Remember the Gamecube controller?) but wouldn't be surprised if they fuck that up.

Metroid Prime 4 is what everyone is waiting for and the series isn't going anywhere but maybe if Nintendo actually had foresight of anything passed 2011, that would already be done.

Thing is Metroid Prime was programmed by Zoid with a solid team at Retro. Now you have a bunch of flakes in development with shit tools from Nintendo.

Where does it say we are at 1080p Rajaah Rajaah ?

Last edited:

vGrade

Potato del Grande

You'll play it and you will fucking like it

• 1Double Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You'll play it and you will fucking like it

If I played through it again I would download the mod and do what Spronk did. Why would I buy it on Switch and pay 40 dollars for a half assed remaster. Shit, I could just plug in my Gamecube if I still had component inputs anywhere :p

• 1Truth!

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Hope they do the other two. 3 might be a bit hard, though, as it was built for the Wii's motion controls.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This confuses me. You think Nintendo doesn't understand the massive popularity of Metroid? You think they send lawyers out to hunt down independent Metroid remakes and squash them because it is so unpopular? Nintendo purposefully does this shit and it is hilarious as fuck when it bites them in the ass. All the fans really want are updated versions of the Metroid they love (Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Zero Mission) but Nintendo ignores them to put out total shit. This remake is bullshit because they should have been making Switch sequels to Prime instead of that unfun, soulless abomination they released last year and a remake of a game everyone who gives a shit has already played. They could have been making new Metroid fans out of the youth of the last 10 years, but they continue to bungle it spectacularly.

I mean, I agree with literally everything you said, and I still don't think people should rip the game off en masse. Same thing happened when Dread launched.

This is no where fucking CLOSE to the Demon Souls remake. And you can obviously tell from the video grab they did jack shit with most of the assets. At best some particle effects have been reworked.

I mean it's closer to the Demon's Souls style remake than it is to a standard remaster. Particles and lighting particularly stand out. It can't actually touch Demon's Souls, easily the most advanced remake I've ever seen.

They sold the entire trilogy on the Wii U store for $10 at some point.

It was $20 every time I checked. I think it's still on there for digital purchase, and I have a Wii U in a closet somewhere. F playing the originals on a 65'' TV at this point though, they aren't gonna look like what I remember.

I was hoping we'd get an MP Trilogy remaster set, so when it was rumored that it'd be one at a time, I figured that meant the remasters would have a lot more oomph involved and that seems to be the case.

Hope they do the other two. 3 might be a bit hard, though, as it was built for the Wii's motion controls.

Yeah, MP3 might be iffy because it used the patented Wii Waggle Motion(tm) controls that every goddamn game of the era had to use. They'll need to substantially overhaul the controls. Then again they already did that with MP1 here, as it went from Gamecube controls (have to hold a button to look around while stationary) to Halo controls (use second stick to look around). The control change alone is a huge upgrade.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Modern Vintage Gamer likes it, and this guy knows a lot about the technical aspect of games having ported some games professionally. This is not a bad/cheap remaster.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what else is in the pipeline for Metroid remakes. MP2 and 3 probably. What about MP Hunters? Game was on DS and wasn't exactly good, but it was MP 2.5 basically. Not worth the effort to remaster, but I could see it happening. Also, Hunters supposedly ties directly with MP4. As I understand it MP4's apparent villain first appeared in Hunters and 3.

Since Metroid 1 and 2 have been remade, is Super in line for that? I hope not, it's one of those few games that doesn't ever need to be remade. Like LTTP or Chrono Trigger. Though modern "2D-HD" has been pretty impressive and MAYBE a Super remake would serve a purpose if it added new Ori-type light effects and whatnot. A first-person Prime-style version of Super would be really cool as an experience (not as a replacement). But I don't think that's in the cards.

The devs that made Samus Returns and Metroid Dread are supposedly working on a remake of Fusion, so it's likely they're just skipping right over Super. A good move. Fusion could use a remake, though I am a bit concerned that they'll muck it up with SR/Dread controls.

Hell at this point a remake of a remake (Zero Mission Remastered) might actually make sense.

Funny, I used to despise remakes and thought they were redundant and an excuse to not do new things. Now I'm finding "the new" so much lamer than the old that I'm all about remastering old things to breathe some new life into them.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Meant to post this elsewhere, but LLTP has been fully reverse-engineered. It can now run natively on many platforms, in widescreen, with a ton of additional options.

Super Metroid is next.

• 1Galaxy Brain