Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Vid of me fucking up my last chance attempt and getting saved by one of my captains
alhm61bw7mtz.gif

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's good to see Sloth getting more work after Goonies

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Nah, my argument is that the MTX is some tacked on bullshit that all the pearl clutchers assumed the game was designed around. Obviously we won't get this data, but I'd love to see the number of people who paid for more than $15 worth or so of gold. It just makes so little sense to dump $$$ into this game.

My opinion is pretty unchanged from pre-release about this. The people who are grabbing pitchforks because of MTX are useful idiots: they're dead wrong about the usefulness of MTX, but it's useful that they're waging their war anyway for the reasons you stated.

It's tragic in a way, Shadow of War is a really great game for what it tries to do and the nemesis system is actually innovative, but its commercial success was irrevocably totally stunted because of the MTX noise that, in the end, probably doesn't earn them shit.

Shadow of Mordor was abandoned fairly quickly post-release because Monolith wanted to just rebuild their prototype from the ground up and call it Shadow of War. I think they had big plans to support it with DLC, regular events etc, but the well has been poisoned so hard that it's probably impossible. The only thing they could do really is completely remove all MTX and generate a few decent patches/ free content additions. But there's no way their corporate masters will allow for that, and will probably shitcan the support team and put the game on life support.

Well said! I have started to post this exact sentiment a few times but got lazy.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You must not care how it only begins here. To get you adjusted to seeing MT’s in single player games.... that’s only the first step. After that is complete, slowly design games around requiring it to advance. And before you know it, it’s too late. I mean do you honestly think the likes of EA and Activision wouldn’t flip the switch right now if it was more accepted? This is the first step of conditioning.

Cmon you know the industry better than that to think it stops here.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You must not care how it only begins here. To get you adjusted to seeing MT’s in single player games.... that’s only the first step. After that is complete, slowly design games around requiring it to advance. And before you know it, it’s too late. I mean do you honestly think the likes of EA and Activision wouldn’t flip the switch right now if it was more accepted? This is the first step of conditioning.

Utnayan is normally an insufferable blowhard, but he's not wrong about this MT shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol just read a summation of the plot of Shadows of War, and in trying to make it fold neatly into existing LotR canon they took a big steaming dump on it instead.

Nah bro, it's so shitty that I can't even bring myself to write it down. Google it yourself.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol just read a summation of the plot of Shadows of War, and in trying to make it fold neatly into existing LotR canon they took a big steaming dump on it instead.

Nah bro, it's so shitty that I can't even bring myself to write it down. Google it yourself.
It's not even consistent within its own plotline. You tag-team a bunch of missions with this saucy blonde chick who is all like, "Yeah I don't trust this Celebrimbor guy, he's def going to try to be the next Sauron." in every cut scene. Then at the end she wordlessly goes against her entire character and joins with Celebrimbor. Meanwhile the guy who you spend two games conjoined with, who has given no reason to think he wants to take over middle earth, suddenly betrays you and decides to become the next Hitler. Additionally, he's the smartest most knowledgeable dude ever, makes all the right choices and is super strategic in his thinking. However as soon as he turns heel he rushes in to fight the big bad and take him over? lol.

It's like they made the entire game up until the end of Act II, couldn't figure out how to end it where Sauron wins and the player doesn't lose, and then outsourced the writing to some guy who saw one of the LotR movies once in the theatres, but wasn't sure which one it was.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not even consistent within its own plotline. You tag-team a bunch of missions with this saucy blonde chick who is all like, "Yeah I don't trust this Celebrimbor guy, he's def going to try to be the next Sauron." in every cut scene. Then at the end she wordlessly goes against her entire character and joins with Celebrimbor. Meanwhile the guy who you spend two games conjoined with, who has given no reason to think he wants to take over middle earth, suddenly betrays you and decides to become the next Hitler. Additionally, he's the smartest most knowledgeable dude ever, makes all the right choices and is super strategic in his thinking. However as soon as he turns heel he rushes in to fight the big bad and take him over? lol.

It's like they made the entire game up until the end of Act II, couldn't figure out how to end it where Sauron wins and the player doesn't lose, and then outsourced the writing to some guy who saw one of the LotR movies once in the theatres, but wasn't sure which one it was.

That's just traditional shitty video game writing. My major beef?

ISILDUR WAS NOT ONE OF THE FUCKING NAZGUL! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT NONSENSICAL BULLSHIT?!?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's just traditional shitty video game writing. My major beef?

ISILDUR WAS NOT ONE OF THE FUCKING NAZGUL! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT NONSENSICAL BULLSHIT?!?

officially? We don't know that. Tolkien only named one nazgul (besides the witch king). There are problems with the games story, but it does make a compelling enough reason for isildur becoming a wraith

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
officially? We don't know that. Tolkien only named one nazgul (besides the witch king). There are problems with the games story, but it does make a compelling enough reason for isildur becoming a wraith

lolwut

All 9 Nazgul were already running around 1000 years before Isildur was even born.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
This is the crux of the argument made by people who haven't played the game. Act 4 is the only part of the game that this is even remotely arguable. The first 3 acts which are really the meat of the game is like 20-35 hours depending on how much side stuff you do. Act 4 is much better described (game play wise) as post game. So artificially inflating the post game is kind of a meaningless concern

Do you rage at all the Final Fantasy games that used to include dozens of hours of post game grind content?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well, I'll be a well intentioned fool then because as you stated, the noise is a good thing in that they will consider not moving progressively forward as it will hurt their main sale. Doesn't mean I cannot play the game either. With Gamefly, I do not give them a red cent because the game was already sold and I am a secondary user. Or, better yet, buy it used. It's to the point I won't give publishers like WB a purchase price whether it is 5-60 bucks. I can just rent it, play it, beat it if I want, and they don't see a dime. I'll be doing this with CoD WW2 now because of their patent fiasco and then lying about their involvement to the general public (One look up on Linked in and these guys worked within Activision and were not an independent team). The same will probably go to Battlefront 2.

For games that institute it properly or without the idea of future malice/conditioning, like say Rocket league, I will reward them with cash for the game, and also use their cash shop.

I like how you can't stop talking about how badly you want to play this game as long as the studio doesn't see any actual money from you instead of just not playing it and going on with your life.

• 2Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Utnayan is normally an insufferable blowhard, but he's not wrong about this MT shit.

Why draw the line here? Did you draw lines when you started having to pay $50 a year or whatever it is to play online games on your playstation or xbox? What about when they decide PS online or XBOX online should be $19.99 a month? The same price as your internet bill?

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yeah. The new South Park game also has a, "buy merch and DLC" right on the main menu. I dislike the coming trend immensely.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why draw the line here? Did you draw lines when you started having to pay $50 a year or whatever it is to play online games on your playstation or xbox? What about when they decide PS online or XBOX online should be $19.99 a month? The same price as your internet bill?

I paid 49 a year ps plus on ps3 before requiring payment for online games because it was before gamers club and amazon prime game discounts, so they offered a lot of sales and a lot of free games as well every month. AAA games. If they hike the price even more, people won’t pay it unless there is value. But there is more than just online value there with a lot of other features and constant updates and improvements.

Now, wise ass, please tell me where the fucking value is in adding MT’s in games and slowly conditioning The market to accept those for an ability to artificially stall single player progress to the point you get frustrated and use the shop. Or get a pay to win advantage in Multiplayer games which we are seeing RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lolwut

All 9 Nazgul were already running around 1000 years before Isildur was even born.
Don't they get replaced? I figure they have some kind of retirement package. And obviously they can be destroyed.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion:

The gruesome Slaughter tribe invades Mordor introducing new missions, Epic and Legendary Orcs, tribal showdowns and fierce battles, brought to life through the Nemesis System. New Slaughter tribe fortress with Overlord throne room, monuments and outposts. Players can hunt down Legendary Slaughter tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges. Slaughter Orcs are the most bloodthirsty in Mordor, capable of ambushing players at any point, creating a deadly new challenge for players. Available November 2017.

Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion: The proud Outlaw tribe arise within Mordor introducing new missions, Epic and Legendary Orcs, tribal showdowns and intense battles, brought to life through the Nemesis System. New Outlaw tribe fortress with Overlord throne room, monuments and outposts. Players can hunt down Legendary Outlaw tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges. The Outlaw tribe is home to the most rebellious warriors in Orc society, outcasts who have a deep contempt of all those who would rule them, be they foreign invaders or Lords of Mordor (whether Dark or Bright). Available December 2017.

Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion: Play as Eltariel, an elite assassin known as the Blade of Galadriel, and go head-to-head with the newest addition to the ranks of the Nazgûl. Wield Eltariel’s dual Elven blades and harness the Light of Galadriel with a host of deadly new combat abilities, skills and gear. Encounter memorable new Nemesis characters, such as Flint and Tinder and the Slayer of the Dead, while battling the Nazgûl and learning more mysteries of their past. Gain eight unique Legendary Orcs who can return to join your forces in the main story campaign with new abilities added to the Nemesis System. Unlockable Eltariel character skin for the main story campaign. Available February 2018.

Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion: Play as Baranor, the Captain of Minas Ithil and survivor of the city’s demise, in a new story expansion where players will command the forces of Man against a new Orc threat to the East. Unite with Torvin, the Dwarven Hunter, to craft powerful new combat gear, including the shield, gauntlet, chain and glider. Hire mercenaries to create a human army and conquer the all new desert region of Lithlad. Fight to survive in Mordor as a human without the power of a Ring or a wraith to cheat death in a new rogue-like campaign mode. Unlockable Baranor character skin for the main story campaign. Available May 2018.

Really can't get excited about being Boringnor or Eltariel. Especially after
Eltariel betrays you and her character development

Only thing I could really get excited about is them fleshing out some of the online features ex:
1. Co-op play
2. Fort PvP
3. More content for the current online fort battles

Along with:
1. Improving the Nemesis system such that the game tries a little harder to build nemesis opponents for successful players
2. A harder difficulty level
3. New Game +

And as far as a story expansion, the only thing I'd want is
A quest to go whip Sauron's ass on the Maury Povich show and force Celebrimbor inside me like a power bottom

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
This isn't relevant at all to Shadows of War who took it into an entirely new direction. D2 was cosmetics, and Forza has been doing this garbage for a decade with cars that don't matter. Apples to Oranges and this article is absolute rubbish