Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This isn't relevant at all to Shadows of War who took it into an entirely new direction. D2 was cosmetics, and Forza has been doing this garbage for a decade with cars that don't matter. Apples to Oranges and this article is absolute rubbish
Yeah I agree.

And I think games that are outliers and earn the community's ire and focus still push the Overton window of acceptable MTX in games.

SoW is a funny case because the MTX in the game are pretty tame, it was just the handling of it that was bad and offensive. The Forthog dead dev DLC was a good case of it. If they bungle the PR of a free DLC release to honor a beloved developer so badly, how the hell are they going to sell the idea of p2w in a game?

Gamers shying away from SoW and then buying games with more clever infiltration of MTX is telling game devs, "You can fuck me, just be discreet about it."

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I paid 49 a year ps plus on ps3 before requiring payment for online games because it was before gamers club and amazon prime game discounts, so they offered a lot of sales and a lot of free games as well every month. AAA games. If they hike the price even more, people won’t pay it unless there is value. But there is more than just online value there with a lot of other features and constant updates and improvements.

I'm assuming PS plus was a thing before it was mandatory to play your multiplayer console games online? Yes? And then Playstation decided they could milk $50 a year out of the millions of people who played Call of Duty and all the other big multiplayer games on their system who didn't partake in the "value" that PS plus had as far as sales and shit? That's ok though I guess because pay to play isn't the same as pay to progress... oh, wait...

BTW pay 2 win multiplayer games have been around for a long time, they aren't some new creation spawned by the green of the shadows of war developers MTX implementation.

• 4Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
ssWpkTg.jpg

ImlmTHC.png

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm assuming PS plus was a thing before it was mandatory to play your multiplayer console games online? Yes? And then Playstation decided they could milk $50 a year out of the millions of people who played Call of Duty and all the other big multiplayer games on their system who didn't partake in the "value" that PS plus had as far as sales and shit? That's ok though I guess because pay to play isn't the same as pay to progress... oh, wait...

BTW pay 2 win multiplayer games have been around for a long time, they aren't some new creation spawned by the green of the shadows of war developers MTX implementation.

I’ll reply to this when I get back home.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I'm at level 8 of the shadow wars. I'm slicing through them pretty well, I have a very versatile build I'm running (2pc marauder, 2pc warmonger, 2pc vendetta) that enables me to roll over enemies, and all my regions are kitted out in pretty tough opponents.

But I think I'm done with the game. My technique is perfect. Outside of farming for specific legendaries, trying some weird builds or generally leveling up I've seen everything there is. I hope they release compelling content for me to do a re-play through in a year or two.

As I've said before and basically everyone has corroborated, the RMT in this game is totally futile. You're drowning in orcs, can easily get high quality orcs ingame, can buy high quality orcs via ingame currency. I've got like, a hundred orcs. The idea of spending $$$ to buy more orcs is totally laughable. It'd be like if you could buy alchemy reagants in Skyrim with $$$. Even if you paid $$ for orcs, they're randomly generated and are likely to get unmemorable orcs. If I could buy super-hero grade orcs like Az-Laar the Destroyer, it'd be different. But I can't.

Now on to Assassin's Creed: Origins, I just got my paycheck so I'm ready to buy some XP boosts.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I got the gold super version of Shadow of War and ended up deleting the orcs given to me because I had no tie to them at all. The whole draw of the nemesis system is having memorable orcs to play with, not random ones that you got out of a box.

Last edited:

goishen

Macho Ma'am

*double facepalm*

• 1Solidarity

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
So I'm at level 8 of the shadow wars. I'm slicing through them pretty well, I have a very versatile build I'm running (2pc marauder, 2pc warmonger, 2pc vendetta) that enables me to roll over enemies, and all my regions are kitted out in pretty tough opponents.

But I think I'm done with the game. My technique is perfect. Outside of farming for specific legendaries, trying some weird builds or generally leveling up I've seen everything there is. I hope they release compelling content for me to do a re-play through in a year or two.

As I've said before and basically everyone has corroborated, the RMT in this game is totally futile. You're drowning in orcs, can easily get high quality orcs ingame, can buy high quality orcs via ingame currency. I've got like, a hundred orcs. The idea of spending $$$ to buy more orcs is totally laughable. It'd be like if you could buy alchemy reagants in Skyrim with $$$. Even if you paid $$ for orcs, they're randomly generated and are likely to get unmemorable orcs. If I could buy super-hero grade orcs like Az-Laar the Destroyer, it'd be different. But I can't.

Now on to Assassin's Creed: Origins, I just got my paycheck so I'm ready to buy some XP boosts.

Thanks for your review. Makes the RMT seem fairly reasonable, even if still totally unnecessary and ill-advised. I'll probably check it out over the holidays when I get time.

• 1Like

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thinking about picking this up on PC. Are you PC players using a controller to play?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
*double facepalm*

I'll take that to mean you're just a schmuck who is going to gamefly/pirate this game that they despise the existence of while raging about "mandatory RMT to progress in single player game!!1!" who doesn't actually have an argument as to how MTX in this game is in any way worse than Playstation deciding to force $50 a year to play your console games online.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'll take that to mean you're just a schmuck who is going to gamefly/pirate this game that they despise the existence of while raging about "mandatory RMT to progress in single player game!!1!" who doesn't actually have an argument as to how MTX in this game is in any way worse than Playstation deciding to force $50 a year to play your console games online.
Can’t believe you are sitting here bitching about mandatory ps plus at $50 a year. Your mandatory Taco Bell is like $5 per day, and you need that to LIVE. Get perspective

• 1Worf

goishen

Macho Ma'am

Okay, look you douchebag asshat fucknugget.

First off, I don't like the game. I didn't like the first game. I have zero plans on downloading it, be it cracked/hacked/or generally unsafe. I also have no plans of buying the game either.

Secondly, I don't even own a console, you fucking douche nugget.

Thirdly, if I did, I'd imagine it to be a plethora of "try before you buy" games, that lasts all month long. I dunno about you, but to me, a month is a fuck load of time.

Fourthly, piss off, you piss ant. I'd imagine Utnayan is coming back to crush you.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

khalid

Unelected Mod
So yeah, way behind the curve here, but I just picked up the first game, absolutely loving it.

Really seems to do a great job of making you feel like a half-aragorn/half legolas badass without making you feel invincible either. The enemy immunity shit can get pretty frustrating, but at the same time it encourages you to fight enemies in different ways and can lead to some epic fights.

• 2Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Why draw the line here? Did you draw lines when you started having to pay $50 a year or whatever it is to play online games on your playstation or xbox? What about when they decide PS online or XBOX online should be $19.99 a month? The same price as your internet bill?

how many kpbs do you get with a $20/mo internet connection?

So yeah, way behind the curve here, but I just picked up the first game, absolutely loving it.

Really seems to do a great job of making you feel like a half-aragorn/half legolas badass without making you feel invincible either. The enemy immunity shit can get pretty frustrating, but at the same time it encourages you to fight enemies in different ways and can lead to some epic fights.

I've been playing the first one on PC (with 360 controller) currently as well. Definitely a fun game if a bit shallow. I did all the side shit/collectibles on the first map so was super OP before I started really progressing the story. I'm on the "Brand 5 Warchief" mission right now. Think I'm going to brand and level all the captains to 20 before I go take over their warchiefs, then probably just rush through the rest of the game. Got a lot of stuff to play from years ago now that I've kicked my mmo habit for awhile.

I definitely felt invincible after I saved up and bought the legendary sword skill before anything else, though. Every major skill (like double executions, etc) after that just was invincibility++

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Picked this up for $25 from Gamestop. Slaying orcs is great.

Having not played the first one, the game doesn't do a great job explaining the mechanics and combat buttons.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Picked it up from GS as well...little girl at the beginning is annoying. Let me just go murder death kill some orcs damnit.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Rental from Gamefly has shipped. I'll be damned if I give these cocks any money what so ever.

I should have deleted the thing before it shipped but it's too late now so I may as well boot it up to see how terrible the story is, and return it by the end of the weekend.

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users