Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You are correct. Didn't notice because it was posted as a plain archive rather than renamed to what it actually was. If I missed it, maybe others did too. Seems worth leaving there.

I didn't even read the link you posted and assumed you were disgusted because so many dumbshits bought this game.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't even click on that link. Dude's not even an entertaining troll

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
ESRB and PEGI both said publicly that they can't label games as having "gambling" unless they are legally labelled as gambling by the government, which seems like a cop-out to me but they probably don't want to draw unneeded fire to themselves. Giving games the gambling tag would make them 18+ I believe which a bunch of publishers would not be happy about, even in the increasingly digital market where it's irrelevant.

What kinda surprises me is the countries that do have laws about loot boxes or gacha games are very very limited in their regulation. Basically only stopping the worst of the worst possible kinds and having no effect on anything we're seeing today. And honestly I think it'll take a bigger global gaming market than the UK to bring loot boxes into the realm of reasonableness.

Sulrn

Deuces
You're right that it would take a larger market, but you also have to admit that having one of the major markets regulate it would be a good jumping off point to get the others to do the same. It also forces smaller publishers to kill the idea to save money on having to alter versions of the product for the different markets. I mean sure, it's as easy as turn them off or not offering them in the loot store, but it also ensures they aren't inherently tied into the game as we see with SoW. No more Act 4 built around the boxes because otherwise you have to redesign Act 4 for the fog breathers or suffer a major market crying about how the game was poorly designed / not actually getting sold in that market period due to the 18+ shackles.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm loving this lootbox craze. It's saving me money and allowing me to finally put a hurtin on that backlog。

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Act 1 spoilers:
Really impressed with the ending to act 1. The father betraying everything his daughter holds dear to save her by making a deal with the devil and then he himself being betrayed by a guy named "Witch King" is so fresh and compelling that SoW is a shoe in for whatever plot-related awards are given at the venerable VGA event next year. I can't wait to meet the daughter again and hopefully develop the love-plot which, like the collection quests, provide a nice break from all the fun things there are to do in this game.

Here's a video re-enactment of how I was feeling at the culmination of this epic story:

Additionally, the fight with the Nazghul also reminded me of the heights of tangential-mechanics in a random boss fight that Deus Ex: HR was able to reach. I really hope they make a phone game out of casually hitting three buttons to fight the entire cadre of the toughest fighters in the Tolkien universe.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Act 2 gets the party started by introducing Bruz the Chopper, here's his intro:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just hit level 32, fun game. I found a way to cheese followers, siege the fort ASAP gathering intel along the way, have maybe one or two dudes as body guards/siege leaders. Attack the fort and just proceed to find and/break/recruit/fight by your side every capatain/boss/warchief. The game literally groups them all up for you :) I enslaved 90% of the map in one fight.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ps suck my ass you piece of shit industry!

• 1Like