Mikhail and Hodj's Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So what is your end goal for a career (sorry if you have already answered this)? I assume from your education, you want to get into a field of archaeology and be able to do gene analysis on humans, animals or plants?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
come on over and dig up my yard, hodj.

i need someone to get rid of the weeds

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Pretty much. Paleopathology and paleodemography. Osteological research, which paleopathology is rolled up into. There's a lot of limits on certain remains in the US (Native Americans) in terms of destructive analysis, unfortunately, but those limits aren't so prevalent in Europe and South America, etc.

My professor's research focuses on violence in this region of the states, where there is less NAGPRA related problems because so many of the tribes were wiped out or driven west they don't know who the remains belong to, for instance, all the thousands of skeletal remains they have at our universities' archaeology museum are basically unclaimed Native Americans, so she does a lot of research on the types of physical wounds and diseases that affected different groups in the area.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
With the amount of energy you have for it, I'm sure you will be able to get into it.

I was lab partners in a functional genomics lab with a Yale Archaeology professor who wanted to learn how to do DNA Analysis on mummies. What he was telling me made it seem like an interesting field

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Well you do live in Chicago, so there is a very high chance there might be human remains under that yard...
exactly.

plus, Kang noggins and indian arrowheads

wow, try saying nignig noggins 5 times fast

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Lol too bad Egypt is a hellhole now.

At least South America has some mummies too I guess.

There's a lot you can do in the field chemistry wise, not just DNA analysis. You can do stable isotope analysis for carbon and nitrogen, and use that to make inferrences about health status in a community, of course carbon dating and the like. All sorts of neat shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It'll be a good change of pace to dig up and examine dead bodies instead of digging up retards to argue with.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
did you get this idea after watching Bones on FOX since 2005?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No, actually that's a great question because a lot of students DO actually think about this type of a career after watching something like Bones and CSI.

Honestly you, of all people, may understand this better than most, since you have a degree in history. I've always been really interested in history, mythology, past cultures and civilizations. This is a way to be a part of that, to help learn more about it. Its just something I've always wanted to do, so I figured I'd do it.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I got a degree in history because I watched Indiana Jones too many times.

My yearbook quote was "That belongs in a museum!"

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah Indiana Jones is generally a highly cited reason for being an archaeologist and there's definitely some of that in my reasoning as well.

I dunno man, starting in 4th or 5th grade I was really heavily into mythology, read a huge amount on the greeks, romans, norse, egyptians, read a large portion of the bible because was going to church all the time and it seemed to have stories about history and then once I had kids and stuff I spent a good chunk of my time reading a lot of history books and shit. It just kinda eventually felt like the natural direction to move in once I decided to stop being lazy and go to school.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I liked history since I was a kid. I learned to read when I was 4 and I was already reading greek/roman/norse history and mythology by the age of 5 and 6. As I got older and began to understand politics better I became very interested in medieval/renaissance era and 20th century/cold war/world war II and then it just kinda snowballed from there

I went to college for IT/Computer Science to make money like a good russian jew programmer but realized it wasnt for me after 3 years and went back to my one true love.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah my parents read to me constantly as a kid because this was before video games lol. I could read really well early. But the school library had all these mythology books that I didn't have at home that I could check out, that was where it started. Then I moved over to fantasy and sci fi for awhile and then moved heavily into history.

The first time I went to college I was going to do something in the IT/CS area because back in the late 90s early 2000s that was all the rage. I had absolutely no passion for it at all

I like building personal computers but not enough to do it for a living.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
What do parents read to their kids in Kentucky? The warning label on their skoal can?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dr Seuss bro.

I read every single Dr Seuss book more times than I can count.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I read this textbook about an excavation of some ruins of Babylon as a kid and it fascinated me. It would have been so awesome to see some of those ancient cities in their splendor. Babylon at its height, Constantine, Pataliputra, Samarkand.

Great stuff and fascinating shit. No thanks on digging up corpses in the fucking desert though. Ill sit in my office writing on a chalkboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.