Military Thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea they have a special review board for direct commissions of IT-adjacent people.

I'd still have to go to OCS but would graduate at captain before ever going to job training or a post.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Yea they have a special review board for direct commissions of IT-adjacent people.

I'd still have to go to OCS but would graduate at captain before ever going to job training or a post.

That's pretty baller then. BAH rates wherever you go will be super nice and 30 days paid vacation a year.... good lord didn't realize how much I'd miss that.

edit: You'd be looking at like 2500+ easily for BAH in most major metro areas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That's pretty baller then. BAH rates wherever you go will be super nice and 30 days paid vacation a year.... good lord didn't realize how much I'd miss that.

edit: You'd be looking at like 2500+ easily for BAH in most major metro areas.

Yea the actual commissioned path looks pretty fucking lucrative. It's a long commitment but if the paperwork backs up what they claim and I can leave OCS at a decent rank it seems like it could be a cool opportunity.

I've got no wife or kids to worry about currently either, so could end up going someplace a fair bit more interesting than the midwest as well.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yea the actual commissioned path looks pretty fucking lucrative. It's a long commitment but if the paperwork backs up what they claim and I can leave OCS at a decent rank it seems like it could be a cool opportunity.

I've got no wife or kids to worry about currently either, so could end up going someplace a fair bit more interesting than the midwest as well.

I couldn't imagine going in at almost 40. Assuming you want to retire, you'll be like 59 just to hit the minimum 20. BUT it's the Chair Force, so they get all the budget, and decent living arrangements I hear!

In another 10 ish years, our VA budget will get out of hand. I'm not in the military, and 0% disabled, but work with one, and every fscking day I hear more and more people trying to game the system to get that sweet 100% disability. "I managed to get a PTSD diagnosis finally to bring me over the top, so no more car and property tax for me and a fed-tax freee $4500 a month for life, thanks taxpayers!" This is just about everyone now, even the boots who have been in only one enlistment period. Blech.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I couldn't imagine going in at almost 40. Assuming you want to retire, you'll be like 59 just to hit the minimum 20. BUT it's the Chair Force, so they get all the budget, and decent living arrangements I hear!

In another 10 ish years, our VA budget will get out of hand. I'm not in the military, and 0% disabled, but work with one, and every fscking day I hear more and more people trying to game the system to get that sweet 100% disability. "I managed to get a PTSD diagnosis finally to bring me over the top, so no more car and property tax for me and a fed-tax freee $4500 a month for life, thanks taxpayers!" This is just about everyone now, even the boots who have been in only one enlistment period. Blech.

Yea its weird to think about given my age, but my sister convinced me to look in to it and I think she's right? She joined a couple years ago as a flight nurse under a similar program for medical professionals - she's two years younger than me, but got commission as a captain immediately and has been making fucking BANK being on deployments at various bases.

With the impending collapse of social security having access to more 'stable' fed benefits, tricare etc, seems just fine to me. And it's not like doing shitty IT infrastructure for any random company is really filling my life with meaning currently ya know?

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy

Yeah guy I work with who's the same age as me got 100% and he did the same job I did in the AF but in the Navy. He brings home nearly as much from the VA as I do from working.

• 2Rustled
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to MEPS in two weeks and looking pretty likely I'll be signing up for a 6 year dear with the air force this year

I'm almost 40 but they need cloud infrastructure and infosec people so badly they don't really seem to care how old I am?
Hope you are in decent shape bro.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yeah guy I work with who's the same age as me got 100% and he did the same job I did in the AF but in the Navy. He brings home nearly as much from the VA as I do from working.

I try not to let it bother me when I see how much car/home tax I'm paying and missing out on free monthly $$$. Take solace in knowing you aren't a drain on society lol

There are specific doctors who will put you down for PTSD if you answer yes to "Do you check your door locks at night".

Fadaar

That guy
I try not to let it bother me when I see how much car/home tax I'm paying and missing out on free monthly $$$. Take solace in knowing you aren't a drain on society lol

There are specific doctors who will put you down for PTSD if you answer yes to "Do you check your door locks at night".

That's some bullshit. I would never want PTSD anywhere on my record anyway, that's fast track to government overreach if those chucklefucks ever do start going door to door. I have multiple high school/college buds that are doctors now so I could probably up my rating pretty easily but whatever. If anything I'd just want enough to cover a car payment or a mortgage, right now I just got the basic bitch 10% for tinnitus which I most definitely do have.

Edit: Also the guy I was talking about, I'm not even shit talking him. He just put in for asthma and tinnitus and whatever claims assistance service he used somehow got him to 100%. He wasn't going for it at all, it was just a happy little accident that worked out in his favor.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Im the only guy from my 15 man section back when I was in that isnt on some kind of disability.

None of us saw combat and as far as Im aware of only one person suffered any injury of note, had his shoulder dislocated(doing fucking mcmap lawl) in Iraq and was sent home 2 months early.
Edit: Also the guy I was talking about, I'm not even shit talking him. He just put in for asthma and tinnitus and whatever claims assistance service he used somehow got him to 100%. He wasn't going for it at all, it was just a happy little accident that worked out in his favor.
Bruh you have no idea. Guy from my section that I talked to last year said back during 20/21 when everyone was going full retard with corona, all VA assessments where virtual and they just approved anything. Dude spent an hour trying to convince me to talk to the VA and basically tell them im suffering from the effects of aging and id get something.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Can't imagine being in the military in 2024. I went through 2011-2017 and that was clown world enough under Obama. I actively encourage people not to join until the pendulum swings back (if it ever does).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Im the only guy from my 15 man section back when I was in that isnt on some kind of disability.

None of us saw combat and as far as Im aware of only one person suffered any injury of note, had his shoulder dislocated(doing fucking mcmap lawl) in Iraq and was sent home 2 months early.

Bruh you have no idea. Guy from my section that I talked to last year said back during 20/21 when everyone was going full retard with corona, all VA assessments where virtual and they just approved anything. Dude spent an hour trying to convince me to talk to the VA and basically tell them im suffering from the effects of aging and id get something.
The Covid times were a crap shoot. I know people who got 100% for not sleeping well. I know another guy who they didn't even read half his claim. Normally you either get a rating or get denied for stuff you submit. They didn't even address it. Its like the person only read half the packet.

I have a friend of a friend who reviews claims. Single mother, stays at home and she is in charge of reviewing packets that the lower tier of worker has done. Apparently, its a work from home gig where they just send these packets out to the people via computer to review and approve. So, your mileage may vary highly, all depending on who you get as a doctor and who you get as a reviewer.

I know doctors and reviewers who are ex military who call everyone pussies. I know guy who has legit, broken bones in his neck and they claim there is 'no evidence of injury.' He has xrays. I know other people who get 100% for, as I said, trouble sleeping at night and not the PTSD style, but some other condition that causes restlessness. I'll have to ask.

Its a pure crapshoot.

As to the PTSD, don't want it on your record. Sorry. That isn't going to matter in the slightest when they come for vets. The rule now is you either have ptsd, or you are denying it and if they want they will come for you anyway. Before I retired, I sat through enough 'homegrown domestic terrorism' briefs where it is clearly painted that vets are the biggest domestic threat to the US today. I guess MAGA and Trump has kinda taken some of the heat off the ex military types for the time being, but they've already laid the ground work to come visit via wellness checks and concerned citizen stuff to deal with vets whenever they feel the time has come.

• 1Like