Military Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Uhh pretty sure those technical programs arent just 3 years.

Honestly who the hell knows. Some deep cuts incoming to the military in the coming years. Marine Corps has gone from 220k to 170k in the past 3-4 years.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I would give my right nut to be an psychologist in the Air Force. I see no downfalls to joining the Air Force in any capacity as an officer or enlisted. Spend it as a doctor at a nice Air Force base? Ok. What's the worst thing that will happen? Have to sign up for 6 years, make at least 50k a year and having your housing/power/water bill paid for if living on base?

Unsure if the Air Force would be inline for your education. From what I understand they are more on the lines of tech stuffWelcome to The Air Force Institute of Technology. The Marines and Army will most likely be the best bet in that area. Knowing you from your posts you will either be punched in the face a lot or be killed by a marine.

Then again you can go through ROTC, have it set up so you can continue for your PHd after you are commissioned. I know this is how it is for the Army. They give you 3 years to finish, but then they pretty much own you for a good chunk of time.

Fadaar

That guy
Oh ya, we had our infrared taken away since someone claimed it ruined their night vision (not goggles).
What the fuck? Do people seriously not know the difference between IR and NV? That might be the dumbest thing I've heard today.

Edit: Aren't most all officer commissions 8 years?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Psychology is different, because you need a bachelors alreadybeforeyou even apply (so ROTC wouldn't be a factor) you get your PhD or PsyD at a regular college (they pay for the last two years of your program) get your license,thengo to officer training school and whatever military specific healthcare training school(s) then serve for 3 years.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't do it, your mother needs you to keep being her slave at her prison of a home.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mean, it's not much of an escape, it's just a job commitment. I'd still have to finish my PhD before ever going. They'd pay me a stipend for the last 2 years of my PhD program ontop of it.

For many psychology students, a military post is financially attractive. Across all three services, interns receive the pay and benefits of an officer at the military's O-3 rank, with salaries at some locations exceeding $70,000 a year. Interns receive a tax-free housing allowance, free medical and dental care, moving expenses, 30 days of paid leave, and commissary and post-exchange privileges.

The Army and Air Force also offer the Health Professions Scholarship Program, which pays for tuition, books and fees for the final two years of a doctoral program, plus a monthly stipend of $1,900 for participating students. In a bid to compete, the Navy starts offering the scholarship next year. In exchange, Navy and Air Force psychologists must serve at least three years on active duty after their internships are complete. For Army psychologists, the three-year commitment starts following licensure.
I mean, this sounds like a pretty fucking good deal. I'm not seeing the downsides.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not like there's a lack of cute dykes around campus either.

I do wonder which are crazier, campus dykes or air force dykes.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I'm trying to get some UFC fighters to come to my work at Ft. Campbell next week before their event in Nashville next Saturday and 3 of them and a social media person are sounding pretty positive about it. I live off-post and have only taken my wife on post and we both have military ID's. If they just have a drivers license should I be able to get them through the gate or is it more difficult than that?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just a random small visit, or going to demo or what? Sounds like you may need to be going thru official channels not just winging it. Some of your command at the least.

I don't know about bases, esp yours, but if it's at all like the fed center where I've worked at, civs need actual business to be allowed on. Depending on the gate people you giving a tour may not fly.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I talked to a guy in S2 and he asked his NCOIC and they said it would be fine. I was more so curious about actually getting on post since it's FORCECON Bravo right now. As far as what they would do there I don't really know. I just wanted them to go to PT with us or something but they may want to go to the USO to meet other folks. It's not written in stone or anything and I'm just a lowly radio operator trying to make something cool happen.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I talked to a guy in S2 and he asked his NCOIC and they said it would be fine. I was more so curious about actually getting on post since it's FORCECON Bravo right now. As far as what they would do there I don't really know. I just wanted them to go to PT with us or something but they may want to go to the USO to meet other folks. It's not written in stone or anything and I'm just a lowly radio operator trying to make something cool happen.
lol conditions. I remember in Iraq we brought the local internet guy into camp with us to fix out fucked up internets, he drove his on car no less too haha.

Titan_sl

shitlord
Try to work with a business on the base, i'm sure you have an Exchange or atleast a FMO center somewhere. Have them "sponsor" it, and even with it being Bravo, they would have 0 issues having a single person sponsor on up to 10 people. I believe they just have to clear it with Base Command, but maybe not even that.

Fadaar

That guy
So apparently the Air Force has been mailing out letters to recently separated people asking if they want to come back. My roommate at my old apartment got mine in the mail and called me to tell me about it. I laughed and told him to enjoy burning it.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So apparently the Air Force has been mailing out letters to recently separated people asking if they want to come back. My roommate at my old apartment got mine in the mail and called me to tell me about it. I laughed and told him to enjoy burning it.
Yea, certain AFSC's are doing that (mine included). No surprise, they cut way too many people in the slim down last year.