Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn that looks cool, built for edge highlights. Maybe drybrush em on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn that looks cool, built for edge highlights. Maybe drybrush em on.
I did a relatively quick painting session today. I tend to think more about how it should look, rather than just get right to it and paint it.

Used Army Green and dry brushed some silver on the edges, does not show all that well in the picture.

Went and subbed to their patreon so got a bunch more to paint up now.

20220913_230502.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Aazrael

Finished another one and tried edge higlihting.

The prints are a bit rough with textures, not sure why. Maybe I need to print them with a better setting than 0.5. They look much better in person, the camera finds lots of imperfections I can't see normally.

Ultramarine blue was very hard to paint as well, took 3-4 coats.

20220917_172105.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Finished another one and tried edge higlihting.

The prints are a bit rough with textures, not sure why. Maybe I need to print them with a better setting than 0.5. They look much better in person, the camera finds lots of imperfections I can't see normally.

Ultramarine blue was very hard to paint as well, took 3-4 coats.

View attachment 433775
Got some talented mofos in here!

guy on the left looks like a super Tau.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I saw this in Fauxhammer’s discord (great discord for rules etc too)

BA79D324-FDD9-40FC-9AD6-60AF8CC97C41.jpeg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So trying to find old world fantasy Dwarf models are a pain in the ass.

I guess if you want to build an army, 3d printing is the way to go?

Aazrael

Maybe not miniatures as such but I wonder how much resin this would require. I'm guessing you print it in pieces and glue it together.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
A bit more progress. Still have 7 more terminators to go but I can get them done fairly quick.

20220925_111141.jpg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I definitely first got into them for the look. Love the yellow and black. But since then I watched a few things on Imperial Fists and Dorn so now I'm committed to a small army of em.

Aazrael

Painted up a 3rd type of the 3d printed guys. Wanted to try white armor this time.

I tried 4 times to make the flames look nice. First blue then yellow then just settled on green after a few tries. Can't be bothered to redo it a 5th time so it is what it is.

20220926_185319.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Also, do you have a recommendation for a primer? Is there like a specific primer for miniatures? Plastic ones? Is spray the way to go?
I like using the Chaos Black spray primer from Citadel. You can also do primer by hand with some Abaddon Black or even the Army painter black.

If you do get Army Painter paint set, I don’t think it’s very new painter friendly. It’s what I got when I started painting. Had to shake it forever and it separated so much. I still use it because well… I have a lot of it from my first purchase. Vallejo and Citadel have higher quality paints for starting out but obviously they’re going to be priced higher.

If you do go with Army Painter, buy some rust proof painter balls and pop 1 or 2 in each bottle to help with mixing. I decided to grab some from Home Depot hoping it’d help. It did. Didn’t remedy the issues fully but it did help.

Edit: Very cool. Wasn’t paying attention to what page I was on while on mobile. In any case, yeah if anyone does get into the hobby, maybe spend more than just going straight to Army Painter.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
For me, brush or airbrushed, Vallejo is the best primer. I like German panzer grey and black. Grey and ghost grey are fine through an airbrush but not very good with a brush.

And personally I avoid army painter anything, never had any luck with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users