Miniature Painting

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cherish the hideous first couple batches, they're always fun to bust out later and see how far you've come.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So calling you nerds to explain these. Got my first 3 space marines (bladeguard veterans).
20220114_233654.jpg

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They're "tilting plates", just cosmetic choice. It's a call back to medieval knights, heraldry shield.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah go back to page 4 and look at my first few. Even that whole year of stuff. Definitely takes a while

dash 1.jpg

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
IMG_20220114_181932355.jpg

My first guys coming to painting in 2020. Overspill everywhere, staining, tabards are absolute dog shit. Probably shouldn't have picked "Gilt: the Faction" for my start collecting box. But they taught me important things about paint ordering, how washes work, and why tiny yellow stripes are Satan's work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

The veterans are assembled. Now to pick a color. I'm leaning into just doing them ultramarines.

Also my 3d printed dragon from artisan guild.
20220115_172528.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aazrael

I was going to copy someone else's painting scheme but could not find any so I decided to just go at it. I'm mighty proud on how it ended up!
20220117_163333.jpg
20220117_163401.jpg

Without blasting camera settings to white it out.
20220117_165537.jpg

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I was going to copy someone else's painting scheme but could not find any so I decided to just go at it. I'm mighty proud on how it ended up!
View attachment 393340View attachment 393341
Looks great man.

I’d do some dry brushing or highlighting with a lighter color on the cloth/waist things he’s wearing on the raised areas. Raising the highlight of the raised edges of cloth folds does a lot for the visual appeal of it. Gives it a lot more depth and appearance of light/shadows.

Aazrael

Looks great man.

I’d do some dry brushing or highlighting with a lighter color on the cloth/waist things he’s wearing on the raised areas. Raising the highlight of the raised edges of cloth folds does a lot for the visual appeal of it. Gives it a lot more depth and appearance of light/shadows.
Thanks, yea the cloth is the part I feel is unfinished. I was going to revisit it but forgot. :p The colors came out kinda crap in the phot now that I compare. Might post a better one later with proper lighting.

Edit: Looks okay on the phone but crap on the pc monitor. Probably my color settings.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks, yea the cloth is the part I feel is unfinished. I was going to revisit it but forgot. :p The colors came out kinda crap in the phot now that I compare. Might post a better one later with proper lighting.
Not sure if you’ve done highlighting like the but just start with taking the same color you used and mix in a little white, do the raised areas. Then add a little more white and do smaller area, etc til you’re happy with it.

Aazrael

Not sure if you’ve done highlighting like the but just start with taking the same color you used and mix in a little white, do the raised areas. Then add a little more white and do smaller area, etc til you’re happy with it.
I did most of the highlighting with dry brushin the same color on the "nuln oiled" base coat, the skin looks awesome in person, not so much in the picture on the PC. Will revisit the cloth/chainmail or whatever it is and see if I can improve it later.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A tip on the eyes too. Try a red base, then an orange layer while leaving the slight edges red, then yellow while leaving slight edge of the orange, then some thin pure white in the centers. Will give it a fiery glowing effect.

Usually after all that is applied I do a light yellow glaze over the whole area to blend it all together a little better, then do one more tiny spot of light white in the center.

That’s how I do my lanterns, they look pretty cool.

27B57D67-AFC7-42C0-84B1-32769AF408DC.jpeg

Aazrael

A tip on the eyes too. Try a red base, then an orange layer while leaving the slight edges red, then yellow while leaving slight edge of the orange.then some thin pure whit in the centers. Will give it a fiery glowing effect.

Usually after all that is applied I do a light yellow glaze over the whole area to blend it all together a little better, then do one more tiny spot of light white in the center.

That’s how I do my lanterns, they look pretty cool.

View attachment 393345
Yea those look awesome. I only did white base and yellow layer but can continue to add a few more layers in there. Could always smash some red over it and try it your way. Was kinda a quick way to make them glowy, almost left them black.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yea those look awesome. I only did white base and yellow layer but can continue to add a few more layers in there. Could always smash some red over it and try it your way. Was kinda a quick way to make them glowy, almost left them black.
It’s just needs a little depth is all, easiest way would just be to add some thin white in the centers. The rest of the model has gradients and shades but the eyes look like a base coat and makes them stand out as unfinished.

And that could just be due to the pictures, they always wash out models and lose detail.

• 1Like