Miniature Painting

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
How did you paint that cloak? Any special techniques or paints?

It's glorious. Another piece of inspiration for me to get off my ass and actually throw down the money for a kit and a starter army. Still not decided on faction.

Pull up a fold up chair at a table at the store and browse your ass off. Just walk in like you own the place. I read 2 codexes first trip, 4 the next. Definitely glad I did. Buying all 6 of em im sure woulda added up.

They offered local paint classes that I was all ready to go for but I got individualized attention (and needed it, I couldn't even do one brown belt pouch well when I first attempted after priming).

If you're lucky, can attract one of the local ultra beards (dead giveaway when u see em) who will very politely knowledge transfer everything in their head (reason I only read 2 the first time) that they spent decades amassing, free of charge. I got one going based on loving Total Warhammer 2 and you couldn't peel this one off me with a jack hammer. It was welcomed because he actually helped me find supporting lore I thought would match my interests and all that.

I'd be a Drukhari (I still want a list with a bomber) and unpainted without the various frens in orbit of this game.

He's done some work for me, can definitely recommend his service. I'd for sure go to him before hitting up companies like Frontline etc.

I might get just one thing or two from anyone I can here for sentimental purposes.

I have a chap in terminator armor, jump pack librarian and some devastators to go for an alt list. Might get the chap/lib an "upper tier" job, getting addicted to the sexy models tbh.

Last edited:

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I finished a 2nd Horus for a Client, slightly different than the first :)
FqK46dwaMAEeQ1D.jpg

• 10Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
How did you paint that cloak? Any special techniques or paints?

It's glorious. Another piece of inspiration for me to get off my ass and actually throw down the money for a kit and a starter army. Still not decided on faction.
Mix of airbrush and glazing.
Nothing too special.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Mix of airbrush and glazing.
Nothing too special.
Bro. Saying this is like saying peat and barley make brown liquid. Mother fucker, *I* know how to airbrush and glaze things, and my figs sure as hell don't turn out like that. Maybe you are using Unicorn Horn Paintbrushes or Elven Maiden Minge Paintbrushes or something? Maybe Air Efreet Air Brushes from Japan? Those figs are great and your client should throw in a handy on top of your agreed payment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Bro. Saying this is like saying peat and barley make brown liquid. Mother fucker, *I* know how to airbrush and glaze things, and my figs sure as hell don't turn out like that. Maybe you are using Unicorn Horn Paintbrushes or Elven Maiden Minge Paintbrushes or something? Maybe Air Efreet Air Brushes from Japan? Those figs are great and your client should throw in a handy on top of your agreed payment.

It may actually seem simple to him, and parts of it are absolutely incredible.

Gonna think something up and use him for at least one piece eventually.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All of the nice paint jobs you see are using the same basic techniques, they’ve just mastered them. Just takes a lot of time and practice to get to the point where you have a lot of control over it.

When I was painting a lot I looked at a figure that I had painted very early versus one a year later, using the same techniques, and they were quite a bit different looking. It was just getting comfortable with it, slowing down, learning to glaze multiple layers instead of just trying to get to the end point with one layer. Learning how thin to make the paint, etc.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Thinner paint, more layers.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I mean,

the question was "special techniques or paint" In which case the answer stands, nothing special or secret, just good fundamentals, airbrush control, and really subtle glazing. All more basic techniques.

Always happy to share tips or technique if someone is interested.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do have to concur, fantastic work Khalan. (Last time I painted was like 1995, for my 1st edition Necromunda group.)

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Havent streamed in a long time, should be getting back sooN!

If you guys want to see any content on stream lmk, maybe Ill start with how I did the cloaks!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

If you guys want to see any content on stream lmk, maybe Ill start with how I did the cloaks!

I caught a guy rolling 7 dice instead of 6, thought of you :)

"Hey bud if you got 5 hits and there's 2 missed, how is that 6 dice"

:D

Hate to say it but we gotta watch these ppl out there

Balkoth

Trakanon Raider

Oh shit, you're Jim Vesal? I remember hearing you on a few podcasts years ago. I think in the last one I heard, you had your army stolen in the airport or some shit. Ever get that back?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have a recommendation for base materials? Conventional or not.

The two I've come across so far are:

• Army painter seems to have some decent stuff, but looks like it can get expensive.
  • I ran along this site that maybe has similar prices and a decent variety in one spot. Geek Gaming USA

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a recommendation for base materials? Conventional or not.

The two I've come across so far are:

• Army painter seems to have some decent stuff, but looks like it can get expensive.
  • I ran along this site that maybe has similar prices and a decent variety in one spot. Geek Gaming USA
I’ve bought stuff from these guys before. Lots of good products, small company of actual gamers from Ohio. Started off making their own grass and flock and grew from there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As teens we would always just go in the back yard and get dirt, tiny pebbles, and moss to put on bases. Glue, some paint, perfection.

• 1Like