Miyagi-do vs Cobra Kai

Which form of karate best fits your personality?

• Total voters

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The trouble with women's self defense is they all figure out eventually that even manlets can kick their ass even after they take a bunch of classes. Mace or a gun plus some shoes you can run in are a far better bet, but that doesn't sell any classes or feed the 100 lb asskicker trope they see in the movies.

Pretty much.

Most of the important stuff you learn in self-defense classes is in the first 6 months, everything after that is pretty much just stunts and sparring practice in the unlikely event you ever get into an actual martial arts fight with somebody. The actual "self-defense" component that'll get you out of jams is all learned pretty quickly.

For example, in one day of training, a woman can learn the most important tools of self-defense: Go for the throat or balls, get the guy off guard if possible, then run like hell. That's it. There's not a whole lot else to it. After that it's just getting into more specialized holds like wrist-locks and whatever else, but given people's propensity to freeze up when threatened, they're better off just training in throat-strikes and running away.

Mace is a pretty good bet, even a gun I wouldn't recommend for chicks because all they need to do is hesitate with it and the gun now belongs to the guy attacking them and they're even more fucked.

The best way to feed the 100 lb asskicker trope is for them to do cardio and kick pads and whatnot, none of which I'd be doing in classes. So yeah.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
lul.

My mom has been telling me for years to teach a "self-defense for women" seminar on the weekends since I'm good with women and know self-defense. I keep sort of lightly rejecting the idea. I don't know about spending time around a bunch of women in this day and age. It's somewhat of a dream to do something like that though and be like the alpha male in the room teaching a bunch of women how to fight. Maybe it's how I'll meet my future wife, but it's just as likely I'll get sued because I got the wrong idea and thought someone was interested when they weren't or something. And I don't know if I have the willpower to not be interested in any of the women in a setting like that. I could try to just be completely stoic with everybody in my class 100% of the time but that sounds dull as fuck. Someone flirts with me and I no-sell it like an anime protagonist. Yeah I dunno. If I lived in Poland or Sweden where the women are super open to male attention and there's a "lightness" to their culture in terms of people freely flirting and so forth, it'd probably be fun and easygoing to teach classes like that. Not so much in the stuffy, weird-as-fuck culture we've turned into here.

Sounds like this is something you want to do. Bring a partner. Your mom is suggesting it so see if she wants to come. It will probably make the wimmin feel safer too.

For example, in one day of training, a woman can learn the most important tools of self-defense: Go for the throat or balls, get the guy off guard if possible, then run like hell. That's it. There's not a whole lot else to it. After that it's just getting into more specialized holds like wrist-locks and whatever else, but given people's propensity to freeze up when threatened, they're better off just training in throat-strikes and running away.

Attitude is the most important thing. I've helped with women's seminars once or twice. Women tend to be too timid, and I don't know how you train them to be aggressive in one day. For that case, cobra kai is superior.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty much.

Most of the important stuff you learn in self-defense classes is in the first 6 months, everything after that is pretty much just stunts and sparring practice in the unlikely event you ever get into an actual martial arts fight with somebody. The actual "self-defense" component that'll get you out of jams is all learned pretty quickly.

Mace is a pretty good bet, even a gun I wouldn't recommend for chicks because all they need to do is hesitate with it and the gun now belongs to the guy attacking them and they're even more fucked.

The best way to feed the 100 lb asskicker trope is for them to do cardio and kick pads and whatnot, none of which I'd be doing in classes. So yeah.
my first gf was a karate black belt. She was pretty chill so I never saw her do anything remotely violent, I even won some tickle war (you know were tickle wars lead to), until we went to that concert without security. Some punk was pushing everyone around in a very agressive way, he went for her with all his body. He literally crashed against her without her moving, and when he got angry and went to push her with his hands, a simple sweep had him on the ground.
Of course, that's not a 6 months self defense training but 8+ years of training.
1641373373845.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was this worth watching after the kid went over the railing

Yeah. It's been good throughout. That was the end of S2 and probably the show's action peak though. "Actions have consequences" is a consistent theme.