Miyagi-do vs Cobra Kai

Which form of karate best fits your personality?

• Total voters

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
You talk like a faggot and you’re derailing my thread. Quit before I REPORT you to amod.
I still have that report I can send to Ferrari any time. Do you really want to join the blacklist for future performance models? They blacklisted Deadmau5, they'll blacklist your sorry ass too!

• 2Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I still have that report I can send to Ferrari any time. Do you really want to join the blacklist for future performance models? They blacklisted Deadmau5, they'll blacklist your sorry ass too!
You wouldn’t.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Lightning Fast
For Foler, the question reads like, "Is this another result you want to go as expected and just as often?"
Even Vanessa is calling out Foler for his delusions!

giphy.gif

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Frank Dux made up EVERYTHING about Bloodsport. Including his teacher, his art, his record, the tournament, where it was, who was there... everything. I thought this was pretty common knowledge in the martial arts community by now, but apparently not.
Oh I think it is for Martial Artists of a certain age. Unless you're one of his students, because he claims it's real. Or are you saying he finally admitted it?

I met another martial artists who was launched out of a submarine to swim ashore in laos with nothing but a samurai sword and a mission to disrupt the VC supply lines. He operated successfully for 6 months, then swam back out to sea and was picked up by the submarine. The dude says this straight faced and his students will fight you if you question the story.

Actually, the part about the submarine may not be part of his story, but it is a verified fact that the dude served on a sub during the war. So we added it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Let’s be real. Eagle Fang is relabeled cobra Kai thus it would be redundant to have it as an option.
I mean if you want to do that both Miyagi and cobra kai have the same roots as well, there's enough philosophical differences between sensai lawrence and sensai kreese to warrant the distinction.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lightning Fast
Oh I think it is for Martial Artists of a certain age. Unless you're one of his students, because he claims it's real. Or are you saying he finally admitted it?

I met another martial artists who was launched out of a submarine to swim ashore in laos with nothing but a samurai sword and a mission to disrupt the VC supply lines. He operated successfully for 6 months, then swam back out to sea and was picked up by the submarine. The dude says this straight faced and his students will fight you if you question the story.

Actually, the part about the submarine may not be part of his story, but it is a verified fact that the dude served on a sub during the war. So we added it.
No, there was an article in the LA Times (IIRC) from a few years back where a reporter dug into his story and found it was all fake. The names were wrong, the places were wrong, he wasn't and couldn't have been where he said when he said, no such tournament ever existed, the 'sanctioning body' didn't exist, etc etc. It was an EPIC takedown.

I met a guy who claims to have broken out of a prison in China in the '80s, back when China was closed down to the world pretty much, and then made his way to Hong Kong and escaped back to the states from there. I forget why he got jailed. Pretty unbelievable, but then again the guy was one of those types where you just couldn't be sure. I certainly wasn't going to mess with him, lol. Plus, he told it like it was just a cool anecdote, not like it made him the Fist Under Chuck Norris' Beard.

I also met another guy who was Austrian and claimed to be like a long time disciple of the Shaolin temple. Again, dude seemed to be legit with his skill, but I couldn't be sure because of the MASSIVE ego and the claims he was making. He definitely had some skill and some esoteric knowledge, but still. Guys like that always make me doubt them with all the self-aggrandizement. Just tell me what you're doing, you don't have to include all the stories where you come out looking like a big hero and the reincarnation of Bodhidharma.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I mean if you want to do that both Miyagi and cobra kai have the same roots as well, there's enough philosophical differences between sensai lawrence and sensai kreese to warrant the distinction.
False

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I probably didn't hear about the article because it came as no surprise to anyone. But it does sound epic. It looks like there's a documentary about him now. Whether it's a takedown based on that article, or a puff piece that tries to back up his claims, it sounds like fun.

'Bloodsport': The Truth Behind The Real-Life Frank Dux

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
How so? I don't remember ever learning about the roots of cobra kai other than kreese getting beat up in the service until he fought back. Miyagi do is supposed to be an offshoot of goju-ryu.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Frank Dux made up EVERYTHING about Bloodsport. Including his teacher, his art, his record, the tournament, where it was, who was there... everything. I thought this was pretty common knowledge in the martial arts community by now, but apparently not.

Now how does a consummate bullshit artist like Frank Dux equate to Foler?? Hmmm... I'll leave that to you.

That said, bullshit aside, Bloodsport is still an awesome movie. Fun fact, Van Damme is only 5' 8". I was astounded to learn that when I was like 22 years old. I was like, damn, I'd probably be the biggest dude in that movie other than bearhugger/nut punch guy right there in Izo's gif!

Damn, that's crazy about Van Damme's height. I'm 5'10'' or so, 5'9'' with no shoes on. I always assumed JCVD was like 4-5 inches taller than me. He's one of those "larger than life" celebrities.

Fun Fact: Kiefer Sutherland is also around the same height. Jack Bauer is such an intimidating presence that you'd never know it from watching 24. However, you'll notice that most of the women in scenes with Jack seem to always be close to his height, compared to other taller action stars who tower over the women around them. Like, he never towers over anybody in the show, which is giveaway #1 that he's pretty short. They also wouldn't cast anybody taller than him unless it was a character who'd never be onscreen with Jack at the same time. For example, President Palmer and his brother, those two actors are both north of 6 feet and TOWER over all the women in their scenes. Neither is ever onscreen with Jack. I've watched the whole series a couple times and there's an absolute science to this: The only tall guys on 24 are the ones who are never onscreen with Jack at the same time.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

In the 12 years or whatever that I spent doing martial arts, I met a lot of weirdoes. Maybe it runs in the industry. My school was pretty chill and full of normal people (western Mass liberals, but back then they were decent and sensible and mostly just didn't want to bomb people...I imagine now the place is a BLM nuthouse).

We'd go to other schools, though, for competitions or just to exchange knowledge or whatever else. Sometimes we'd have a retreat or something with multiple schools attending, things like that. I loved these things as a teenager because I'd get to meet hot young women from the other schools and would invariably hit it off with them as I was a very good-looking lad. (If I were a bullshitter, here's where I'd talk about all the smashing I did. I did no smashing, and had no game at the time.)

Pretty much 50% of the senseis I met from other schools came off like absolute bullshitters. They all had ponytails (nothing wrong with that, but it was a definite trend with them) and they all had tall tales about how good they were. I'm talking "I once beat up 3 marines" level stuff or worse. And a lot of the higher-ranking students were similar egomaniacs full of tall tales who acted like they were death incarnate. "My hands are registered as lethal weapons" type guys.

And there's a definite trend where male senseis turn into kind of cult leaders over time and their students seem brainwashed to think everything they say is true even when it clearly isn't. It's very strange stuff. I saw several situations where a male sensei was clearly hooking up with a teenage girl student (talking like 15-16 here) and giving her preferential treatment on everything and all the other students either looked the other way or thought it was totally okay that this 40 year old married guy was doing that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Damn, that's crazy about Van Damme's height. I'm 5'10'' or so, 5'9'' with no shoes on. I always assumed JCVD was like 4-5 inches taller than me. He's one of those "larger than life" celebrities.

Fun Fact: Kiefer Sutherland is also around the same height. Jack Bauer is such an intimidating presence that you'd never know it from watching 24. However, you'll notice that most of the women in scenes with Jack seem to always be close to his height, compared to other taller action stars who tower over the women around them. Like, he never towers over anybody in the show, which is giveaway #1 that he's pretty short. They also wouldn't cast anybody taller than him unless it was a character who'd never be onscreen with Jack at the same time. For example, President Palmer and his brother, those two actors are both north of 6 feet and TOWER over all the women in their scenes. Neither is ever onscreen with Jack. I've watched the whole series a couple times and there's an absolute science to this: The only tall guys on 24 are the ones who are never onscreen with Jack at the same time.

All hollywood actors are shorter than you think. That's part of how they fool you. You only see them on screen compared to other midgets.

I'm talking "I once beat up 3 marines" level stuff or worse.

That's nothing. Did the marines KNOW he beat them up? It's easy to kick a marine's ass. The tough trick is convincing them that they lost.

Don't ruin my belt bunny fantasy by making them underaged.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All hollywood actors are shorter than you think. That's part of how they fool you. You only see them on screen compared to other midgets.

That's nothing. Did the marines KNOW he beat them up? It's easy to kick a marine's ass. The tough trick is convincing them that they lost.

Don't ruin my belt bunny fantasy by making them underaged.

lul.

My mom has been telling me for years to teach a "self-defense for women" seminar on the weekends since I'm good with women and know self-defense. I keep sort of lightly rejecting the idea. I don't know about spending time around a bunch of women in this day and age. It's somewhat of a dream to do something like that though and be like the alpha male in the room teaching a bunch of women how to fight. Maybe it's how I'll meet my future wife, but it's just as likely I'll get sued because I got the wrong idea and thought someone was interested when they weren't or something. And I don't know if I have the willpower to not be interested in any of the women in a setting like that. I could try to just be completely stoic with everybody in my class 100% of the time but that sounds dull as fuck. Someone flirts with me and I no-sell it like an anime protagonist. Yeah I dunno. If I lived in Poland or Sweden where the women are super open to male attention and there's a "lightness" to their culture in terms of people freely flirting and so forth, it'd probably be fun and easygoing to teach classes like that. Not so much in the stuffy, weird-as-fuck culture we've turned into here.

ooo6

Trakanon Raider
Worst character in the show is Sam, what an entitled bitch. Tori is a much more interesting character.

I feel like I'm watching a rehash of 90210 but for some reason it's ok because of the nostalgia.

Lightning Fast
lul.

My mom has been telling me for years to teach a "self-defense for women" seminar on the weekends since I'm good with women and know self-defense. I keep sort of lightly rejecting the idea. I don't know about spending time around a bunch of women in this day and age. It's somewhat of a dream to do something like that though and be like the alpha male in the room teaching a bunch of women how to fight. Maybe it's how I'll meet my future wife, but it's just as likely I'll get sued because I got the wrong idea and thought someone was interested when they weren't or something. And I don't know if I have the willpower to not be interested in any of the women in a setting like that. I could try to just be completely stoic with everybody in my class 100% of the time but that sounds dull as fuck. Someone flirts with me and I no-sell it like an anime protagonist. Yeah I dunno. If I lived in Poland or Sweden where the women are super open to male attention and there's a "lightness" to their culture in terms of people freely flirting and so forth, it'd probably be fun and easygoing to teach classes like that. Not so much in the stuffy, weird-as-fuck culture we've turned into here.
The trouble with women's self defense is they all figure out eventually that even manlets can kick their ass even after they take a bunch of classes. Mace or a gun plus some shoes you can run in are a far better bet, but that doesn't sell any classes or feed the 100 lb asskicker trope they see in the movies.

• 1Like