MLB 2013 season

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fuck you, Mets. Fuck you, Pirates. Fuck everything.

Reds have to play their best ball against the Pirates this weekend to at least clinch homefield for the shitty one-off wild card game. The NL Central dream is over. Well, unless the Reds win-out and the Cardinals lose-out.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't give a fuck if it's a stupid 1 game playoff, it's awesome to actually be looking forward to the baseball playoffs for the first time in ages.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I still don't understand the 1 game playoff. That's the dumbest thing the MLB has done in a long, long time. Might as well just have a damn coin flip to determine the winner for as much as 1 game in baseball tells you. I mean shit, the Astros could win a 1 game playoff against someone if you let them have a chance. Hell, a 100-loss team(really, really bad) still wins almost 40% of their games.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, that year when the Yankees basically phoned in the final series against Tampa Bay so they could get their rotation set for the playoffs was AWESOME!

Division races turned into a joke after the introduction of the wildcard, now they mean something again.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still don't understand the 1 game playoff. That's the dumbest thing the MLB has done in a long, long time. Might as well just have a damn coin flip to determine the winner for as much as 1 game in baseball tells you. I mean shit, the Astros could win a 1 game playoff against someone if you let them have a chance. Hell, a 100-loss team(really, really bad) still wins almost 40% of their games.
I'd be happy with a 3 game series.

Dandrools

Molten Core Raider
I'd be happy with a 3 game series.
You can't have all of the other playoff teams waiting for 3 days (or more depending on travel days between the two ballparks) while the two wild card teams duke it out. Also if you make it 3 days you have a scenario where the wild card teams could pitch their best guy in game 1 of that series and have him be ready again for game 1 of the division series (if you assume there's at least one travel day mixed in there). We've all seen what impact not playing for several days can have on a team, like if they sweep their LCS then have to wait for 5 days before the World Series starts then suddenly they look like a team that just started spring training because their timing is off. They added a second wild card because it had become very apparent over the years that an inordinate amount of wild card teams were going deep into the postseason, even winning it all, because they never got a break and had to play meaningful games the whole way. The one game playoff provides an actual penalty for being a wild card team and also screws up their pitching rotation so that they can't pitch their best guy twice in the division series.

All of that said, great day for the Cardinals. They finish a sweep of what had been a very hot team in the Nationals. The Flubbies help out and hand a loss to the Pirates to bring their magic number down to 1 (meaning the best they can hope for is to tie for first), and the Reds drop another one to the Mets and officially eliminate themselves from the division crown. Should be interesting to see how this 3 game series between the Pirates and Reds plays out, who will get home field advantage in that 1 game playoff.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When your team gets around to winning a division you'll feel differently.
Probably. Right now I just want as much Pirates playoff baseball as possible=P

Speaking of! Liriano/Burnett/Cole/Morton is a pretty sweet playoff rotation. If they can not shit the bed against the Reds they'll be a threat in a series with any team.

Dandrools

Molten Core Raider
Probably. Right now I just want as much Pirates playoff baseball as possible=P

Speaking of! Liriano/Burnett/Cole/Morton is a pretty sweet playoff rotation. If they can not shit the bed against the Reds they'll be a threat in a series with any team.
Oh I hear ya. I actually have this scenario in my mind that I think would be pretty fun to watch, no telling if it will happen or not. Atlanta finishes with best record, they play the winner of the wild card playoff (I'd hate to see what I consider the 3 best teams in the NL have to eliminate one another so quickly). Cards host Dodgers. Pirates beat Reds in wild card, Pirates beat Braves, Cards beat Dodgers. Cards host Pirates for NLCS. I think that NLCS would be very fun to watch, and very tense. Plus it would be very realistic for me to drive back and forth and go to all of the games. Only thing easier than that from a travel perspective would be Cards/Reds I guess, but I fucking hate the Reds. They can die in a fire for all I care.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I fucking hate the Reds. They can die in a fire for all I care.
Right back at you.

I hope the Reds have just been overlooking the sub-.500 teams they've played this month, because they've played great against the winning teams. Keeping the Buccos from winning the division is key right now. I won't even watch the wild card game if the Reds have to play the Cards. OK, I will watch it. But I'll hate it because the Reds will be winning until the 9th inning and then Allen Craig will hit a grand slam or some shit.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The Giants just can't handle being a shitty team. San Francisco sporting events are dangerous if you're visitor. I've experienced shit thrown at me at Giants games before when the Reds have been in town, but this is out of control. It's an every year occurrence anymore.

Dodgers fan dies from stab wound after fight following Giants-Dodgers game
What happened last year at a Giants game? If you are referring to the beating that took place that year that was a Giants fan at a Dodgers game.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, it's not limited to Giants games. It's San Francisco games in general. A lot of hood people go to those games - especially Niners games. It doesn't help that Candlestick Park is in the shittiest neighborhood in the city.