MLB 2014 Season Thread

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So has an MLB team ever finished last, first, then last again over a three year period. Red Sox will if not. Jesus the offense is dreadful.
Probably. Pretty much everything has happened in baseball.

Malcolm_sl

shitlord
Boston has a -16 RS/RA record while Tampa has a -43 RS/RA record which means that Boston fans may not have to worry about being in last place as much as Tampa.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pirates are finally pulling it together a bit after a truly wretched stretch there. So of course their young future ace goes on the 15 day DL with "shoulder fatigue". Does anyone doubt this will end up fucking his season when he comes back and blows something out? Pitcher number 100 to have Tommy John this year?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow that was crazy. Here's an equally recent and totally real clip!

Ik8Z5.gif

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Felix Hernandez looks like he is putting together a career year. His WAR is a full point above the next closest pitcher, FIP under 2.00, and is amongst the league leaders in every relevant pitching category.

Anyone who doesn't think he is the best pitcher in baseball is stupid and wrong.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I misreading the charts or something? I see him as 10th place in WAR for pitchers. I am admittedly kind of a dullard when it comes to these stats but it looks like Hammels, Cueto, and Beuhrle are at least statistically ahead of him as far as all this Sabermetric stuff goes. His FIP is way ahead of everyone though.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno, are there like competing WAR formulas out there? ESPN and Baseball-reference have the same numbers.

vVUsK5e.png

And all 3 sites seem to be up to date as of yesterdays game.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
/shrug I am not sure. I would think that if ESPN had their own formula they would probably have some proprietary shit that they would shove down our throats like they do with QBR in football.

All I can tell you for sure is that I have always used and trusted Fangraphs for Sabermetrically driven baseball information.

*edit: Apparently there are different formulas:WAR Comparison Chart - Baseball-Reference.com
*double edit: Fangraphs explains how they calculated their pitching WAR compared to other formulas. Basically they give more weight to fielding-independent stats to calculate their pitching WAR:WAR for Pitchers | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All I can tell you is I have no strong opinion and was just curious about the numbers=P

edit: For reference, fangraphs has their own WAR formula.

WAR Comparison Chart - Baseball-Reference.com

And so does every other site on the internet. Because it wasn't tedious enough when people argued about this shit with 1 formula there's now 50 versions.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I agree. It is a worthy endeavor to try to quantify a players performance as objectively and statistically driven as possible, but eventually you need to rely on the good old fashion eyeball test. And based off of what I have watched I think that Felix's changeup is the best pitch in baseball right now. Right up there with the Rivera cutter.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
/shrug I am not sure. I would think that if ESPN had their own formula they would probably have some proprietary shit that they would shove down our throats like they do with QBR in football.

All I can tell you for sure is that I have always used and trusted Fangraphs for Sabermetrically driven baseball information.

*edit: Apparently there are different formulas:WAR Comparison Chart - Baseball-Reference.com
*double edit: Fangraphs explains how they calculated their pitching WAR compared to other formulas. Basically they give more weight to fielding-independent stats to calculate their pitching WAR:WAR for Pitchers | FanGraphs Sabermetrics Library
I'm not a big fan of fielding-independent stats. Ground ball pitchers get owned. Or pitchers who like to pitch against a certain lineup in a certain way (pitchers will typically stay lower in the zone against teams with a lot of power to reduce chances of HRs for example). FIP doesn't really take that into account.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah, I agree. It is a worthy endeavor to try to quantify a players performance as objectively and statistically driven as possible, but eventually you need to rely on the good old fashion eyeball test. And based off of what I have watched I think that Felix's changeup is the best pitch in baseball right now. Right up there with the Rivera cutter.
I'll offer up Darvish's Slider as a counter. Sorry for the weird formatting.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am once again confused by stats.

293 pitches vs 367 pitches, but only 5 plate appearances difference. Meaning Felix obviously throws the Changeup more than Darvish does the slider. HOWEVAH the average part is based on hits on PA's when they threw that pitch, but it doesn't really measure how hittable that specific pitch is. A lower % of Felix's Changeups resulted in hits than of Darvish's sliders, and the changeup caused 4 DPs.

Those numbers seem to favor the changeup over the slider pretty clearly, though they should really include balls/strikes for each pitch.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I am once again confused by stats.

293 pitches vs 367 pitches, but only 5 plate appearances difference. Meaning Felix obviously throws the Changeup more than Darvish does the slider. HOWEVAH the average part is based on hits on PA's when they threw that pitch, but it doesn't really measure how hittable that specific pitch is. A lower % of Felix's Changeups resulted in hits than of Darvish's sliders, and the changeup caused 4 DPs.

Those numbers seem to favor the changeup over the slider pretty clearly, though they should really include balls/strikes for each pitch.
I agree with the last part, however I would point to the number of SOs each pitch has produced as a general indicator on how well it does against opposing batters, in which case the Slider wins out overall since on 292 pitches it has induced 52 strikeouts, versus 367 and 41. It's semantics anyway. I mean, if you asked a baseball fan which pitch they would want in their repertoire, Darvish's Slider or Hernandez's Changeup the smart ones would go, "Shit man, do I have to pick one?"