MLB 2015 Season

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
MLB is really promoting the hall of fame this year. You go to MLB.com and no videos or anything like that of the induction.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
This year has been really entertaining so far. Good assortment of hitters & pitchers are having just phenomenal years.Parity in baseball is at an all-time great.
For the record, MLB has had the best parity of any of the major sports for a good long while now. Anyone who thinks salary caps help with that are delusional.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, MLB definitely has the greatest parity. You can see the Cards or Giants win the WS every year!

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This year has been really entertaining so far. Good assortment of hitters & pitchers are having just phenomenal years. Parity in baseball is at an all-time great. Young talent everywhere, and the trade deadline should even get more exciting. Trout at 23... 23 was obviously Mickey Mantle in his previous life, and A-Rod is having one of the greatest old seasons ever.

October is going to be fun.

"This is the sixth time that a no-hitter and three-homer game happened in the same day. It's the second time this season. Chris Heston's no-hitter came on the same day that Joey Votto hit three home runs in a game.

It's the first time that this combination has happened twice in the same season."
perAlex Rodriguez nearing a couple of 3-HR records - Stats & Info - ESPN
It's pretty hard to root for A-Rod because there is always the assumption now that he's cheating. That being said, that game on Saturday was something else where he himself brought the Yankees back from 5 runs to eventually win the game.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I would say that this season he is definitely not cheating. Too much scrutiny
Full disclaimer, as a Blue Jays fan I hate pretty much anything having to do with the Yankees. That being said.....

Perfect reason to cheat, who would suspect that the guy under that much scrutiny would be cheating! Probably found the newest variant of undetectable stuff out there and is using that. He's on pace to match his HR numbers from 2003-2005 and he's 39 years old. In 2012 he only hit 18 in 122 games and he's now 3 years older.

Guys having great years at 35+ is always very suspect *cough* Roger Clemens *cough cough*. This could be the one exception to the rule, but I seriously doubt it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, MLB definitely has the greatest parity. You can see the Cards or Giants win the WS every year!
Last 10 WS winners:

San Francisco
Boston
San Francisco
St Louis
San Francisco
New York
Philadelphia
Boston
St Louis
Chicago(White Sox)

Baseball parity is great as long as you are a major market team with a HUGE payroll (Boston, New York, Chicago, Philly) or a traditional powerhouse going back 130 years (San Fran, St Louis, and it's not like San Fran or StL are exactly small market, they just usually don't have ridiculous bloated payrolls)

Sure, a huge payroll doesn't guarantee winning (Boston and Philly this year) but it definitely gives you much, much better odds over time than a small payroll.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Full disclaimer, as a Blue Jays fan I hate pretty much anything having to do with the Yankees. That being said.....

Perfect reason to cheat, who would suspect that the guy under that much scrutiny would be cheating! Probably found the newest variant of undetectable stuff out there and is using that. He's on pace to match his HR numbers from 2003-2005 and he's 39 years old. In 2012 he only hit 18 in 122 games and he's now 3 years older.

Guys having great years at 35+ is always very suspect *cough* Roger Clemens *cough cough*. This could be the one exception to the rule, but I seriously doubt it.
He's probably getting tested 2-3 times a week, it would be very difficult.

moontayle

Golden Squire
SF also had a long drought before their recent success. Baseball is one of the best examples of "throw out what you know" because shit gets crazy, especially in the playoffs.

I hope JD doesn't mortgage the future for a rental for a team that's under .500 and has zero consistency at the moment.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
SF also had a long drought before their recent success. Baseball is one of the best examples of "throw out what you know" because shit gets crazy, especially in the playoffs.

I hope JD doesn't mortgage the future for a rental for a team that's under .500 and has zero consistency at the moment.
San Fran had a pretty good championship drought going, but they were still making the playoff every 2 or 3 years for most of the 2000s until they started winning it all as of late.

If you are a large market team, you typically measure your playoff droughts in increments of 5 years or less. Small market teams usually measure playoff droughts in decades.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
In the past 10 years 90% of the teams in MLB have made the playoffs, compared to the NFL's 87.5%, and that is with the NFL having 40% more available playoff berths.

Over the past 30 years 8 NFL teams have combined to win 24 of the past 30 Super Bowls, no matter which sample of 24 you pull out of the last 30 World Series winners (including the Giants 3 in the last 5) that number is no fewer than 12 unique teams.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Wouldn't it be the greatest thing ever if Alex was using again and was just like "Fuck you".

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Finally got to watch the Biggio induction. His plaque mentions he holds the modern day record for hit by pitch.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
In the past 10 years 90% of the teams in MLB have made the playoffs, compared to the NFL's 87.5%, and that is with the NFL having 40% more available playoff berths.

Over the past 30 years 8 NFL teams have combined to win 24 of the past 30 Super Bowls, no matter which sample of 24 you pull out of the last 30 World Series winners (including the Giants 3 in the last 5) that number is no fewer than 12 unique teams.
The discrepancy has less to do with the salary cap and more to do with the inherent differences between the two sports. In the NFL, if you have a top 10 QB, you are probably going to contend for the playoffs every year. And if you have a top 5 QB, you are expected to contend for the Superbowl every year for the next decade. It's not possible for a single player to have that kind of effect in baseball. The best pitcher in the game is only going to have ~30 starts in a season. The greatest hitter can't propel a team to the playoffs year in and year out. It's much easier for a small-market team (like Green Bay) in the NFL to have sustained success (10+ years) than it is in baseball.

Also the NFL salary cap was put in place in 1994, only 20 seasons ago. Again, not that it matters, because the sports are just structurally different and can't really be compared.

If you are a large market team, you typically measure your playoff droughts in increments of 5 years or less. Small market teams usually measure playoff droughts in decades.
That's basically it. Could you imagine a team like the Red Sox or Yankees missing the playoffs for 4 years straight? It's not gonna happen. When they have a bad year it's typically an aberration due to injuries, and they bounce right back into contention the next season via their checkbooks. Big spending doesn't guarantee results, but it keeps you in contention long term, something small-market teams struggle to keep up with.

For the record, I think a salaryflooris needed in MLB, not a salary cap.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I agree. The way revenue sharing is set up owners can literally just put a team full of scrubs out there and make money.

Sterling

El Presidente
I agree. The way revenue sharing is set up owners can literally just put a team full of scrubs out there and make money.
That shit is just dumb. Teams having like 30-40 million dollar payrolls is pretty ridiculus these days with how much revenue sharing there is. I mean I guess winning 60 games is as good as winning 70 so why pay more?!?