MLB 2023: Houst*n wins, America loses

Other than your favorite team, who wins the 2023 World Series?

• Total voters

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_7278.jpeg

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Acuna hit his 40th hm. Currently sitting 40/68.
Real talk. How much should the new rules affect Acuña’s mvp chances?

That there are bigger bases certainly helps but I didn’t realize until a couple weeks ago that the league has also limited pickoff attempts by a pitcher to two.

IMG_7280.jpeg

Going by his stats, and I’m aware he was injured most of ‘21 and ‘20 was short, I think he’s certainly capable of getting to 40/40 legit.

But in a season where the league instituted new rules to encourage stealing/make it easier and everyone’s short stroking it to the fact he has nearly 70 stolen bases without acknowledging the new rule changes seems really odd to me

edit: I’m guessing time will tell, there have been numerous players in the past that could get 60+ SB, if Acuña regulars stays above the league average from here on out, I’d say that justifies overlooking the effect of the new rules

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Real talk. How much should the new rules affect Acuña’s mvp chances?

That there are bigger bases certainly helps but I didn’t realize until a couple weeks ago that the league has also limited pickoff attempts by a pitcher to two.

View attachment 491893

Going by his stats, and I’m aware he was injured most of ‘21 and ‘20 was short, I think he’s certainly capable of getting to 40/40 legit.

But in a season where the league instituted new rules to encourage stealing/make it easier and everyone’s short stroking it to the fact he has nearly 70 stolen bases without acknowledging the new rule changes seems really odd to me

edit: I’m guessing time will tell, there have been numerous players in the past that could get 60+ SB, if Acuña regulars stays above the league average from here on out, I’d say that justifies overlooking the effect of the new rules
In 2019 he would have had 40/40 if the Marlins didnt continue to bean him everytime they played. They hit him so much, that he was sent to the IL for 2 weeks near the end of the season and it killed his chance to do it. Which also in turn caused a massive drop in production for my fantasy baseball team's playoff run and I was shortly knocked out because of it. I fucking hate the Marlins.

Julio Rodriguez to me seems the next likely player to go 40/60+.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I expect Acuna to threaten the 40/40 mark a few more times into his late 20s. He's probably moved into the Top 5 players discussion, only surpassed by Ohtani, Judge, Betts, and maybe Trout if he can rebound? He's really exploded with his power the last month or so. I really didn't think he would quite get to 40 with the lack of power he had to start the year. If anyone could threaten a 50-50 season, it'd be him. I also think Julio Rodriguez is the likeliest candidate for 40/40 next, possibly Corbin Carroll as well.

As for the NL MVP race, man it's a close one. Betts has slowed the last two weeks. Betts has near equivalent offensive production and has been a much better fielder, although not the dominant fielder this year he usually is - well if you believe the very inconsistent defensive analytics. If Acuna played even remotely respectable defense this year, he'd be approaching a 10 WAR season, but by all accounts he's been an awful fielder this year. Which should be inexcusable with how athletically gifted he is.

MGM has Acuna at -2500 for MVP, and Betts +1000. So, it's not close to them. Narrative-wise, Acuna has the 40-40 season going for him, he's never won an MVP, and his team is by far the best in baseball.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
First Ohtani now Trout. If this franchise is allowed to live on after this season, MLB will be an even bigger laughing stock

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
And they could have traded both of them at the trade deadline for a kings ransom. So dumb

• 1Solidarity

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think I just saw the Astros bus set off for their games in Seattle

Flaming On Fire GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This Rangers team has been quite the follow this year. Sweep the Blue Jays, then proceed to lose to underwhelming teams. Now sweep the Mariners and sit 2.5 games up in the division. They "deserve" to win the division, and it wouldn't even be close if it wasn't for the plethora of injuries and the all-time bad bullpen.

Series with the Angels up next, surely they can win that? Surely? Then a 4 game stretch in Seattle to close the year.

Also, COME ON ASTROS KEEP IT GOING! YOU'RE REALLY MAKING EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD HAPPY.

• 1Like