MMA Thread

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i thought the fight was in the evening

I didn't understand this timezone choice either.

Weird as fuck for a Khabib headliner

I was flipping through his social media follows, he has a fuckton of casual Brazilian fans in the Brazil timezone. I can't imagine anyone there cared for the time they had this fight at.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm still calling GSP the p4p best/GOAT, fuck Jones and Nurmagomedov both. Even if he wasn't undefeated GSP had a much more impressive career than Khabib with a lot more title defenses and came off of a 4 year break to beat the champion of a higher weight class. I'm not claiming he never juiced, but he retired before his name could get tarnished for it like Jones did, to say nothing of his legal troubles.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
I didn't understand this timezone choice either.

Weird as fuck for a Khabib headliner

I was flipping through his social media follows, he has a fuckton of casual Brazilian fans in the Brazil timezone. I can't imagine anyone there cared for the time they had this fight at.

i found out later that the fight was in Abu Dhabi (probably to skirt around COVID restriction bullshit).

So their evening was our early afternoon.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
So of course JJ couldn't even keep quiet for a few weeks before wading into a debate over how Khabib shouldn't be ranked P4P GOAT over him.

I mean, I get it. But the dude has no fucking impulse control and his ego is a mile wide (which we already knew)

I'm not going to post all his Twitter posts (there were a lot, many in article at bottom), but this one stood out to me. Where was he with all this crying about his 'hard work' when he was being a retard and tarnishing his legacy? Now he wants to roll out P4P MMA-math as if he's been mistreated ?

"while I just sit back and watch my hard work get moved down the rankings. It’s not fair to my family, or the team of people who have sacrificed to get me this far"

Like he has anyone to blame except himself, his complete lack of impulse control and his totally stereotypical jogger behavior towards law, society and obligations.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah I missed it live and had to watch it after already knowing the result. Not that it was any kind of shock or anything.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Jones is the most talented, but his legacy is absolutely tainted by his own behavior even if his cage achievements are more impressive by some measures. When you're having GOAT discussions you can't fully abstract the numbers from the man.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
youre only as good as your last fight, and jon jones last THREE fights have been pretty pathetic.

while it takes two to tango, he should be ripping these basic joes thiago/reyes/smith head right off, just like how khabib said... D1 wrestler??? lulz

it looked like khabib was man handling a boy, but i guess in abu dhabi, thats ok

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I feel like Khabib would have had far more fights under his belt if it wasn't for all of the injuries and cancelled fights, but the same could be said for JJ if he had kept himself out of trouble.

He whined about Khabib 'padding' his record, but if we're being honest, nobody knew who the fuck he was and even when he got into the UFC people still doubted him. And it's not like his career was based on smashing cans, and then he fell apart once he got to the UFC. I think people underestimate the talent pool he was in. It was understandable back then, but look at all the talent the UFC is bringing in now, and they all have names that are equally hard to pronounce.

And I can't be the only one who remembers Khabib off on the side saying he deserved a title shot and didn't get one UNTIL FUCKING 2018. He could have easily won the title earlier and had a few more title defenses.

If Khabib would stay and fight for another 4 years so he'd roughly equal the time JJ has in the UFC now, and let's say he fought every 6mo (JJ averages a fight every 6mo, Khabib about 8mo), it's reasonable to assume he's have another 8 title defenses and he'd be close to JJ.

My question for Khabib is...who the fuck else is there for him to fight? And if he fought another 8 fights, would he just be coasting to pad his record? And would we see Khabib start to lose a step like JJ has? JJ has definitely lost a little bit, and not only that, his fighting has completely changed. He went from being overwhelmingly dominant and just ridiculously embarrassing people, to almost just fighting not to lose and instead just trying to play for points in a decision win. Look at how many decisions he's had in his last 10. People call Khabib boring, but he's still completely dominant. JJ has had fights we've thought he should have lost, and fights that were simply boring AF.

JJ probably needs to retire soon. He's going to Fedor himself into a string of losses if he keeps up like he has been, and then where is he going to be in the P4P GOAT debates? He'll end up wishing he went out on a high note like Khabib.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
He's going to Fedor himself into a string of losses if he keeps up like he has been, and then where is he going to be?

I dislike Jones enough to hope he goes this way. Good on Khabib for going out on top. Sadly few fighters are smart enough to do so.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I honestly had no idea Anderson Silva was still fighting. Crazy

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I watched UFC254 on Saturday with a bunch of cop friends. Everyone wanted JG to win, but predicted Khabib would take it. Only one I could get to take a $20 bet was a black guy and I told him that I want him on his knees and presenting that $20 with his eyes on the ground and his hands lifted high above his head before Khabib regains consciousness. They were all laughing and saying that I'm going to have Antifa at my house by Monday morning if any pictures of that get out. Then Justin lost and I had to chase my buddy around the house on my knees because he thought people were going to think he was a BLM shitbird if anyone got a picture of me presenting a $20 to him on bended knee.

And my woman came to this one and got a little shitfaced and was trash talking Liliya Shakirova with a few of the other women there, talking about "This Bieber-looking chick needs a fucking haircut or an album deal". Only my 2nd time watching a UFC PPV fight live, good times.

Also found out that one of the cops that I used to play poker with all the time is getting really heavy into woodworking and wants to get out of being a cop. He found out I had a laser and have been working on setting up my shop for 2 months, so he came over after the fight and wants to start a business together now. Said he's trying to get out of LE before they march them up to the gallows.

• 2Like

Goatface

1603726426769.png

supposedly it was this kick
also all this time watching streamable clips, didn't know could play them at 1/4 speed

• 2Like

Goatface

1603762249333.png

if it turns out to be march, will be good for stipe. seems he needs a good 6 months to heal up

How did they pick Uriah Hall for Silva's last fight, anyways?
Silva wanted Conor, Diaz, Pettis, etc, most of them said ok, but dana said no. Hall is probably the highest ranking fighter they wanted to get to fight him. 1-6-1nc in last 7 years, isn't really gatekeeper status even.

Goatface

jj has been super salty. saw a comment that he deleted a bunch of tweets, but not seen any press about it so don't know if true.

it is interesting khabib has not officially retired or vacated

when conor "retired" last dana was asked why he was still ranked, and he said all conor had to do is call and leave the testing pool.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I didn't see any tweets he deleted, but then again, the dude has a history of edgelording his way into a tweet that's over the line and then de3leting it 5m later, so who really knows.

RE: Ali, my impression was that he's trying to argue that Justin is still interim champ since Khabib retired, as opposed to Khabib winning, unifying the belts, and now there's no champ.

TL;DR: Ali is a fucking goon