MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That is a fight I just can't get excited for. First off what would they fight at, 155? I assume since GSP has never made 155 it would be at 170, instead of trying to make a 40 year old GSP cut a bunch.

I don't know, I just don't see the excitement around this one.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That is a fight I just can't get excited for. First off what would they fight at, 155? I assume since GSP has never made 155 it would be at 170, instead of trying to make a 40 year old GSP cut a bunch.

As a very new fan to the sport, let me give you some insight into how people like me think (which you already know):

The ground game is boring.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Agreed. I would watch it but with a lot of eyerolls when GSP ultimately loses just because of age.

Jozu

GSP is a tool. its his life and he made the decision, and I respect him, but that doesnt mean it wasnt dumb. He was getting older but was basically still in his prime. He just walked away. No one should be excited for his return.

I mean, he hasnt fought since Bisping almost 4 years ago, and before that he was inactive for FOUR years. He hasnt knocked someone out in the octagon since 2008! (BJ team threw in towel) Fuck that guy. he is only 39, he basically quit at 30.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

I dont mean fuck him personally, i said I respect him, Im talking in the sense of fan excitement and Dana trying to trump up the possibility of some "super" fight that involves him. Count me out of that. And I just think he was dumb for stopping when he did. He could of been the greatest ever, he was only 31. (when he first walked away)

edit: Everything happens for a reason I suppose, as his exit paved the way for Conor.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I dont mean fuck him personally, i said I respect him, Im talking in the sense of fan excitement and Dana trying to trump up the possibility of some "super" fight that involves him. Count me out of that. And I just think he was dumb for stopping when he did. He could of been the greatest ever, he was only 31. (when he first walked away)

edit: Everything happens for a reason I suppose, as his exit paved the way for Conor.
bruh, 30 more seconds w/ big rigg and gsp would have been having liquid dinners for life.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a very new fan to the sport, let me give you some insight into how people like me think (which you already know):

The ground game is boring.
Ground game was a lot more interesting 10 years ago when half the guys knew what they were doing and the other half fuckin sucked. You would get all sorts of crazy finishes a couple times a card. Seems like these days, everyone is at least competent with their defense, so they just use it more as a stalemate tool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
For me, I don't hate either of them, so I don't want to see someone lose in the same way there's other fighters I want to see lose.

So all that's left for me is if the fight is relevant, and I just don't think that it is.

Jozu

Bisping was saying too that the last time Conor was on top around 2016 guys werent really using the low calf kick as much as they have been lately. Its one of those things that start catching on, and more and more guys use it. I hope shoulder strikes continue being a thing too, Conor destroyed Cowboys face with a few.

its always interesting to see how the fight game evolves. I thought elbows would start taking off as a go to tactic for guys after JJ started destroying people with them, But it didnt really happen. Same thing with leg locks. For a while there a few years back it was all the craze. I havent seen or heard many ppl talk about it recently though.

So next big fight is Adesanya vs Jan for double champ status. I think Israel is way too quick for Blachowicz. I think he knocks him out inside 2 rounds.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Same thing with leg locks. For a while there a few years back it was all the craze. I havent seen or heard many ppl talk about it recently though.

Being effective with leg locks is an entire sub-specialty of grappling that takes years of work to develop. It's not like calf kicks, where (I assume) you can easily modify your existing kicking game. Outside of Ryan Hall, Garry Tonon (One FC), Rousimar Palhares, and maybe Oliveira, I'm not sure who else really has the chops to be dangerous with leg locks in MMA.

• 1Like

Goatface

1612328585247.png

14 fights, don't think any have been canceled, could be the end for a few
Reem is 40 and said, he is giving it one last push to the title, a loss would end that.
Guida is 39 on a 2 loss skid, he has never lost 3 in a row
Frankie is also 39, he is 4-3 after loss to Aldo in 16.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i want to remind you all that on a NON numbered ufc fight

5bde66ceb25842fcfd1100c19706fdff.png

everyones purse will BARELY match reems fight purse if he wins

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 332738
14 fights, don't think any have been canceled, could be the end for a few
Reem is 40 and said, he is giving it one last push to the title, a loss would end that.
Guida is 39 on a 2 loss skid, he has never lost 3 in a row
Frankie is also 39, he is 4-3 after loss to Aldo in 16.
if you even casually bet, the best one to make is to put a few on frankie with those odds.

sure he's got those odds cuz frankie has lost recently...

but he lost to zombie, holloway, ortega

the fucking top 5, and he's frankie, while this guy is a ufc sophmore...

• 1Like

Goatface

1612414182599.png

-
1612414233052.png

-
marion reneau has covid, no symptoms, fight with macy chiasson moved to end of the month
-
supposedly UFC is looking at 11 events in next 14 weeks
1612414858578.png

Last edited: