MMA Thread

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
dunno if adesanya counts as a dominator. a rusty bobby coming off major surgery, old man silva and yoel "look at my guard" romero. costa didn't even show up. though i will admit when a fighters aura can influence inside the ring, it has been well earned. i'll pay the rest though.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
i just think his recent fights have been lacklustre, not because of him, but because his opponents don't really seem to show up. maybe he is that good he makes the elite look amateur, but gastelum beat the shit out of him so either nugget style is his counter, or gastelum peaked for that fight and we saw him give his all to just come up short, izzy having to dig deep to survive. he also (outside pereira) had a stellar kickboxing record so there's no denying the elite skill. but to dominate in the ufc, that takes more than what the last few fights have looked like imo.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
First time I've seen Belal Muhammad. I like this guy, he's there to fight.
My morning-brain tripped all over your post.

'I thought King Mo retired?!? There's no fucking way the UFC would have picked him up, right? Wasn't he like 0-5 when he hung it up? WTF did I miss last night?'

I couldn't even remember 'King Mo', and it was driving me bananas. All my brain was could think of was "Pride Muhammed" LOL.

JFC I don't know if I need more coffee or if I'm getting early onset dementia

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i just think his recent fights have been lacklustre, not because of him, but because his opponents don't really seem to show up. maybe he is that good he makes the elite look amateur, but gastelum beat the shit out of him so either nugget style is his counter, or gastelum peaked for that fight and we saw him give his all to just come up short, izzy having to dig deep to survive. he also (outside pereira) had a stellar kickboxing record so there's no denying the elite skill. but to dominate in the ufc, that takes more than what the last few fights have looked like imo.
yea, adysana "road to the title" was great, then his title defenses were laughable. it takes two to tango and his partners have been retards, so not his fault, but also his fault

also wtf was this shit?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
yea, adysana "road to the title" was great, then his title defenses were laughable. it takes two to tango and his partners have been retards, so not his fault, but also his fault

also wtf was this shit?

shadow boxing to keep warm obviously. definitely a bit odd.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

also wtf was this shit?

It's an age-old tactic. You show your opponent your speed and it scares them into giving up. I do this to my wife every time she tries to make me do my dishes.

tenor.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
dropping him twice with the jab is just insane
I've said it for years!!! Why do most UFC fighters refuse to work behind a jab. A jab can fuck you up with those little gloves and if you practiced step in jabs you could routinely do what usman did last night.

Hope the Jab catches on more like calf kicks.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I went into the main event not giving a shit one way or another, but wasn't disappointed at all. I liked Usman outside of the octagon before, but I'm a fan of both of these guys now.

edit - But Masvidal is still my boy, so you know I'll be shitting on Usman when that one gets announced.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I wish my boy Wonderboy could get another Top 5 win and get another title shot. I think he got fucked in his first fight against Woodley and I'd love to see his karate style against Usman.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Thing is, if Cormier could ragdoll Lewis like he did; then Blaydes should have 0 problems replicating that. I would favor Lewis on the feet, but this fight is not going to be contested on the feet.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My woman really liked watching Alexis Grasso fight and said she became a huge fan during the post fight interview because of how nice she was. Said the same thing about Usman & Burns both after their fight as well.

I started thinking that female fans may be turned off by the shit talking and drawn to fighters that don't really do much, but then I remembered that she really likes Adesanya, McGregor and Masvidal because she likes "...their brand of shit talking", so I guess that theory is out the window in my house.

Seems like we just like a certain type of shit talking (and she never heard most of McGregor's shit). Both of us still hate Rousey though. I guess the line is somewhere between her and the others.

• 1Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
That's one of the things I loved about Fedor. He didn't talk shit. He'd be all smiles until fight night, then it's like there was a switch he flipped. Then all that was left was this terminator like Russian dude. Just no emotion left in him. His brother Aleksander was the same fucking way. Just fucking savage.

But after the fight was over? Just a friendly dude. The stories of him downing vodka shots with other fighters after fights was one example.

fedor-laughing-GIF-happy-to-super-serious.gif

fedor_angry.gif

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

pretty sure in response to Blaydes interview from the other day

"If I win the exact same way, I would be fine, because guess what, it's another win, it's a win bonus," he said. "I don't know if a lot of people care, but I have a family. I'm trying to feed my family. I don't care if you want me to risk my win bonus, which is $100,000, to stand and bang with a guy who has terrible wrestling. I'm just not going to do it. Unless you defend every takedown attempt, I'm not going to stop trying to wrestle you. You have to deter me, and I don't think Derrick is going to deter me.”

• 1Worf