MMA Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yes, but the 16 other surgeries were because of the flesh eating bacteria following the first one
"In December, NFL Network reported Smith had undergone six surgeries to clean up the infection and remove tissue."

6 surgeries to deal with the infection, 11 to deal with the fracture. Although I wonder if some of those 'surgeries' were actually just outpatient surgical procedures, like I doubt he had to be fully sedated to remove the external fixator but they might have added that procedure to the count.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Yeah, Alex managed to "play" again, sure. How long did that last?

I'm not saying Alex's injury wasn't worse, but it literally ended his career. Who gives a fuck if he came back for a couple meaningless games before retiring? Yeah, he can walk again, great. That means fuckall for his professional career and I'm just saying that "successful" is loosely defined there. Personally successful? Sure. Professionally? No chance.

Connor will essentially go the route of Alex Smith. Fight a couple meaningless fights (or probably just one if he loses again) and look sad. It's almost assured he'll never have the same mobility and at 32? He'll be looking at 34 by the time he even sets foot in a ring again.
I don't think Conor is wheeling around with one of these though. I'm not sure you can fairly compare the two injuries just because they were both leg fractures

i

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't think Conor is wheeling around with one of these though. I'm not sure you can fairly compare the two injuries just because they were both leg fractures

i
I'm not making a direct comparison between injuries. Obviously Alex's was worse. I'm stating that guys who rely on mobility as their literal fucking profession suffer greatly after a devastating bone break, especially when you're 30+ years of age.

Will Connor fight again? If he wants to, of course. His brand is big enough. But my argument is that he's never going to be the same, just like Alex wasn't the same, just like Richard Sherman wasn't the same, just like Bo Jackson wasn't the same, etc. etc. Modern medical science is great, but science can only do so much and I can't think of a single instance (other than maybe Tom Brady?)where an athlete suffered significant damage to one of their primary sources of mobility, yet returned the same/better than they were before.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
if conor decides to come back, he should lose that inflated balloon muscle and fight at FW again, the LW's are just meat pounding him.

sure diamond has a loss to conor, but that was when diamond was going between fw/lw

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
lulz, youngblood wins in the battle of recovery

Sean O’Malley: Requires X-ray on both hands to rule out fracture. Requires X-rays on left tibia and right foot, will require clearance from orthopedic doctor on positive result or no contest until Jan. 7; minimum suspension no contest until Aug. 10, no contact until Aug. 1

Kris Moutinho: Suspended until Sept. 9, no contact until Aug. 25

that omalley retard should NOT kick anymore, he's just fucking bones

leg day you fucking leprechaun, leg day

Goatface

how many fighters have come back from bad injuries?

frank mir went 8-5 till JDS for the title and went downhill from there. don't see any details if he got rods or plates. seem to recall rogan talking about how nasty it was
Big nog went 1-3 after his arm break
Silva 1-5-nc after the leg
Shogun pretty good after arm break, with title. don't see any details on if he had a plate or anything

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

frank mir went 8-5 till JDS for the title and went downhill from there. don't see any details if he got rods or plates. seem to recall rogan talking about how nasty it was
Shogun pretty good after arm break, with title. don't see any details on if he had a plate or anything
still the GOAT
00.gif

• 1Barf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Pretty much sums it up. Even without the injury, a lot of these HOF caliber fighters just fall off a cliff once they lose the belt and cant ever really get back to even being a top 2 contender.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol is that really Dustin in that pic with the girl? Wtf lol.

Also, herb Dean is fucking horrendous and he needs to be retrained or something. Dude is a fucking idiot. I blame him for ruining Wideman's career. He let his brains get beat in by Rockhold for 2 solid rounds instead of stopping it, Chris went on to lose 4 of his next 5 and was never the same again. I hate Dean.

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Infection almost killed him, but it also took 17 surgeries, not just 1. It was a truly catastrophic fracture and if he didn't have the money of an NFL QB he would have lost the leg.

And the fact Connor has to recover in the USADA testing pool is another huge strike against him at 33 years old.

Goatface

And the fact Connor has to recover in the USADA testing pool is another huge strike against him at 33 years old.

hard to be tested when out on a yacht :)

got bored and wanted to see how Conor compared to others

ConorJ JonesPoirierUsmanIsraelNgannouO'MalleyCerroneNick Diaz

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
lol is that really Dustin in that pic with the girl? Wtf lol.
It is (the girl is his current wife even). He used to talk a lot about how he used to be overweight and shit and made a decision to lead a healthier life.
There was also a documentary I saw like 10 years ago at a film festival that featured him and one other dude coming up in the smaller shows. He talked a lot about it there too. Can't remember the name of the doc at the moment

edit:
This one here. You don't get to see Chonk Dustin, but he talks about it

Last edited: