• 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Goatface

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Podcast talent.

Anyway, a good commentator can absolutely not only put a signature on a pivotal fight moment, but can even over take it if the passion and timing are perfect. (Way back, and its gone!, do you believe in miracles?! Down goes Frazier! Etc) so it is a very important part of the entertainment aspect of the UFC.

For instance Gus Johnson used to be good but only for those big moments, he didnt know much about any sport. On the other hand someone like Michael Shiavello is VERY knowledgable and fun to listen to even if he is kind of over the top ala Johnson. (GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!! THE BIG KABOSH!!! etc) The sport needs guys like that to crystalize some of these important moments for the fans.

Small tells such as why a guy is moving in a certain direction to avoid a strike, or other small technical analysis is important but its also important to get fucking excited about your job. DC sucks, his best commentator moment was "Ohhhhhhhhh he got slept baaaad!" ....lol

Rogan is Rogan. Cruz is boring but insightful. The key is balance. Bisping is good at explaining whats going on inside the head of a fighter during key moments, if they can play off of eachothers stregnths they will be fine, but talking shit about your fellow commentator is a recipe to be let go.

And there are always foing to be levels to it, such as the A team, the B team etc, as lesser talented/experienced guys do smaller cards.

Commentating is fucking hard. Its not easy to be a fantastic commentator, color or analysis. Look at a guy like Lennox Lewis. He is a brilliant guy, one of the greatest boxers ever at heavyweight, so he is well equipped to be a great commentator, except he was fucking TERRIBLE. He has gotten better over the years as he got more comfortable but it took even someone like him more than 10 years just to become servicable.

The best combat sport commentator IMO was Bob Sugarfoo....nah lol im fucking around the best commentator for me is Jim Lampley. He is kind of a faggot, and can get shit wrong time to time with the way he is leaning during a fight, but overall he is probably the best all around commentator. I wonder what he is doing now that HBO is done with boxing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Why does Joe get so much hate for his commentary? He's 90% of what got me into MMA in the first place.

I tell my friends that it's a lot like when I got into poker. I started playing home games in the military at my supply sergeant's house. I didn't know any of the rules, but my friend and I were 18 and they let us get shitfaced over there, so we'd just go donate $20 to the game and hang out on weekends. After I got out, I played another home game every Wed and pretty much the same thing....just went to hang out.

I ended up hiring one of the guys from the poker game at my work and we started talking about poker all day long and playing the occasional tournament after work. He's a very good player, well read on the theory and strategies of the game, etc. Once I started to understand the depth of the game and all of the concepts, how to do calculations in my head, etc....I got really hooked. There's so much to think about when you really start paying attention and all of the sudden I could keep myself interested in a 12-hour poker tournament (and we started fucking crushing the tournaments after awhile).

Same thing with watching MMA now. After listening to Joe's podcast for 3 years, I had enough "Oh, that's interesting...." moments to try watching a few fights, and his commentary DURING the fights made it a lot easier for me to understand what was going on (mainly with grappling, which was boring as fuck before).

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why does Joe get so much hate for his commentary? He's 90% of what got me into MMA in the first place.

I tell my friends that it's a lot like when I got into poker. I started playing home games in the military at my supply sergeant's house. I didn't know any of the rules, but my friend and I were 18 and they let us get shitfaced over there, so we'd just go donate $20 to the game and hang out on weekends. After I got out, I played another home game every Wed and pretty much the same thing....just went to hang out.

I ended up hiring one of the guys from the poker game at my work and we started talking about poker all day long and playing the occasional tournament after work. He's a very good player, well read on the theory and strategies of the game, etc. Once I started to understand the depth of the game and all of the concepts, how to do calculations in my head, etc....I got really hooked. There's so much to think about when you really start paying attention and all of the sudden I could keep myself interested in a 12-hour poker tournament (and we started fucking crushing the tournaments after awhile).

Same thing with watching MMA now. After listening to Joe's podcast for 3 years, I had enough "Oh, that's interesting...." moments to try watching a few fights, and his commentary DURING the fights made it a lot easier for me to understand what was going on (mainly with grappling, which was boring as fuck before).
i personally dont have a problem w/ joes commentary, i'm sure some are still emo over his shilling of rhonda

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
i personally dont have a problem w/ joes commentary, i'm sure some are still emo over his shilling of rhonda
The thing about his shilling for Rhonda is at the time he wasn't wrong. Rhonda was dominant and aside from Liz Carmouch (sp) crazy monkey grab from the back she was never even challenged (sorry Miesha) before Holly. 20/20 is always a thing, it would be like someone in future getting pissy at some one claming Neil Armstrong is the greatest Moon Walked of all time, not hard to be the greatest when you are the only one.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The thing about his shilling for Rhonda is at the time he wasn't wrong. Rhonda was dominant and aside from Liz Carmouch (sp) crazy monkey grab from the back she was never even challenged (sorry Miesha) before Holly. 20/20 is always a thing, it would be like someone in future getting pissy at some one claming Neil Armstrong is the greatest Moon Walked of all time, not hard to be the greatest when you are the only one.
"There's a lot of guys her size she could beat," said Rogan. "I mean, a lot. If you took the roster of the UFC's bantamweights, 135 pounds, and you paired them up against Ronda Rousey, she might be able to beat 50 percent of them. That's not a joke."

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I stand corrected.

That is a ridiculous statement, Joe knows better. I blame the weed.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
how about when she said she could beat cain and joe agreed
I had forgotten about the beating men comment from Joe, but I honestly don't think he agreed with her about Cain. Maybe he did with a wink, a nod and a sarcastic yes. Got a source?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Joe is fine, he has been there since basically "the start", and he mostly knows what he's talking about. My only issues with Joe are the, "OH!!!!!! OMG HE'S HURT!!!!!! THAT ONE STUNG HIM!!!!!" after every fucking minor punch.

Fuckin' relax Joe, it was just a jab.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
"Welcome to the Machida Era!"

And Joe was right given the information at the time. Everyone was surprised at how hard Machida cratered. It's a merciless sport.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like Rogan the commentator. When he doesnt get biased he is quality.

Mauro Renaullo or whatever his name is sounds like a wrestling announcer and uses phrases like pugilistic fury etc. but isnt so bad.

I wonder who Khabib hires to do his Eagle FC cards.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like Rogan the commentator. When he doesnt get biased he is quality.

Mauro Renaullo or whatever his name is sounds like a wrestling announcer and uses phrases like pugilistic fury etc. but isnt so bad.

I wonder who Khabib hires to do his Eagle FC cards.
thats cuz mauro is a wwe anouncer, he started off w/ bas but he makes the big money in wwe