MMA Thread

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
the guy only started doing grappling content after he got his hair transplant (publicly documented). he wouldn't be caught dead rolling prior to that. hard to take someone serious on grappling who have those types of insecurities but thats the influencer/model game.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like most body builders are some of the least athletic people on the planet.

I'll take the GOAT in that matchup, even with the 2 to 1 size disadvantage.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had to look him up, seems like your typical musclehead who trains for hypertrophy and nothing else. Still that's a pretty goddamn big size advantage, if the dude takes the time between now and whenever the fight is to get drilled on some fundamentals he could stand a chance just for being twice DJ's size.

My expectation would be that the big man DQs himself a minute or two in from not knowing the rules.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Royce was wrecking guys nearly double his weight but he had the bone length and the angles to do it.

It's tough to see Johnson getting it done being so stubby. But who knows maybe it'll make it more difficult for Martyn to grab something. If Martyn is smart he'll opt away from BJJ training due to his inflexibility-- just train catch wrestling, and use the Josh Barnett blueprint, dive for anything he can get and just hold onto it and never let go.

Goatface

think chandler is going to loose a year + of his career waiting on a fight that will never happen.

1692212615195.png

“You know (that) I’m ready tomorrow, but if it could happen by the end of the year, that would be phenomenal. But if it spills over into 2024, either way, the most exciting guy in the sport, myself, vs. the biggest star in the sport, and the greatest comeback in combat sports history, people are going to tune in and we’re going to put butts on seats.”

“I like USADA, and I do think they’re doing a good job of cleaning up our sport,” Poirier told MMA News. “But for me, if they waive that (six-month testing period) and allow him to compete with no drug testing, it kind of just makes a joke of the whole thing. Just remove it completely. There shouldn’t be gray areas. It’s white and black with USADA, you take tests and pass them, you’re able to compete. You don’t take tests, you don’t compete.

“There was never a gray area before. We’ll see what happens. I’m not sh*tting on the UFC, I’m not sh*tting on USADA. I don’t want to accuse or say things about either company without them making an official decision. I don’t know what they’re going to do with Conor and the drug testing thing. But if they do allow him to compete without drug testing, they’re making a whole joke of USADA.”

=

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
think chandler is going to loose a year + of his career waiting on a fight that will never happen.

View attachment 486837

“You know (that) I’m ready tomorrow, but if it could happen by the end of the year, that would be phenomenal. But if it spills over into 2024, either way, the most exciting guy in the sport, myself, vs. the biggest star in the sport, and the greatest comeback in combat sports history, people are going to tune in and we’re going to put butts on seats.”

“I like USADA, and I do think they’re doing a good job of cleaning up our sport,” Poirier told MMA News. “But for me, if they waive that (six-month testing period) and allow him to compete with no drug testing, it kind of just makes a joke of the whole thing. Just remove it completely. There shouldn’t be gray areas. It’s white and black with USADA, you take tests and pass them, you’re able to compete. You don’t take tests, you don’t compete.

“There was never a gray area before. We’ll see what happens. I’m not sh*tting on the UFC, I’m not sh*tting on USADA. I don’t want to accuse or say things about either company without them making an official decision. I don’t know what they’re going to do with Conor and the drug testing thing. But if they do allow him to compete without drug testing, they’re making a whole joke of USADA.”

=

Lesnar Hunt was July 2016. Was USADA in full effect? I know it was 2015-2016ish. I forget who granted that testing exemption.

I always thought it was the NSAC for some reason that waived the Lesnar testing. But 2016 July had to have been USADA.

So granting Conor the exemption wouldn't be unprecedented. "There was never a gray area before" is incorrect if USADA previously waived Lesnar. Poirier's statements would be inaccurate.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lesnar Hunt was July 2016. Was USADA in full effect? I know it was 2015-2016ish. I forget who granted that testing exemption.

I always thought it was the NSAC for some reason that waived the Lesnar testing. But 2016 July had to have been USADA.

So granting Conor the exemption wouldn't be unprecedented. "There was never a gray area before" is incorrect if USADA previously waived Lesnar. Poirier's statements would be inaccurate.
usada was a full year before ufc200 and that disgusting ring, who could forget!
Cm9TPxIVYAAXtkc.jpg

Goatface

the reasoning to give brock an exemption was sorta reasonable iirc the way the rules worked. it was 4 months then, unless new fighter being brought in on short notice. like if someone was fighting in a non-drug testing league and they needed a new fighter. brock was out of mma for over 4 years so was considered "new" and was little over a month notice.

Goatface

1692342795500.png

However, a heavyweight showcase bout between Louie Sutherland and Daiqwon Buckley shifted to super heavyweight after Buckley weighed in at 272.4 pounds, more than 6 pounds over the limit. Sutherland tipped the scale at 250.6.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They're in for a spectacle, but mostly to see him lose. It definitely loses alot of its appeal the more losses he has.

There's also a social contract with a lot of the viewers. Along the lines of we pretend he's better than he is, as long as he continues to show some improvement and continues to deliver spectacles for us to watch. The Fury loss followed by the Nate performance showing a severe regression in skill (scripted or not, his performance was terrible by all measures) breaks that contract.

No one is going to pay for middling decisions. People paid for knockout spectacles and to see what he can do. If his last 2-3 fights are all he can do going forward, I can assure you less and less people will be forking over money.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I love how every time someone gets busted it's "I didn't know and it didn't help me anyways!"
It CAN happen. The testing thresholds are well below the doses where you'd see any performance change, and the supplement production industry is incredibly unreliable. Labs making different batches of product without cleaning the equipment in between, etc.

For sure most of the athletes are lying, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

the big issue with 99% of the positives, never say they checked with usada. according to the website, they have an app that lets you scan the bar code to check and there is also a label on certain approved items.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
the big issue with 99% of the positives, never say they checked with usada. according to the website, they have an app that lets you scan the bar code to check and there is also a label on certain approved items.

Never forget Cung Le. They claimed he doped and used HGH, and later the UFC admitted he didn't use anything. Ruined his career over nothing.

Very talented martial artist and entertainer benched and sullied over bullshit test allegations. Was pre-USADA, but it's a reminder that not every allegation means aggravated doping occurred.

• 1Like