MMA Thread

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah, Punk could talk though. I will give him that. Especially in a time when there were few people that could actually do that. Even now most of the top guys are shitty on the mic. Hell Roman Reigns should be kept as far away from one as possible.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't notice before the fight but he certainly earned a cauliflower ear after the fight.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Hard to argue against Punk to having to fight somewhere else. He needs to fight in a smaller promotion and work his way up if he wants to continue this career path. Bobby Lashley did it that way and I think it's paying off for him now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think I'd care if every professional wrestler on earth was lined up to get into the UFC. I'd love to watch the majority just get absolutely destroyed by guys who have put in the time training for years and are relative unknowns. Fuck, throw @Celebrindal in there and let him pretzel some "professional wrestler" who made millions wearing spandex, LOL.

Professional wrestlers are still athletes. A pro wrestler wanting to try MMA is no more ridiculous than a basketball player wanting to play baseball. No need to be such a pretentious faggot.

Fedor

<Banned>
the record for most consecutive hw title defenses is 2 and brock is one of the 4 record holders

iZPRA9I.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Professional wrestlers are still athletes. A pro wrestler wanting to try MMA is no more ridiculous than a basketball player wanting to play baseball. No need to be such a pretentious faggot.
Yeah bro, Punk's 'athleticism' really allowed him to be competitive... :rolleyes:

• 2Cutler
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah bro, Punk's 'athleticism' really allowed him to be competitive... :rolleyes:

Athleticism won't save you from getting knocked the fuck out. I would say that most wrestlers are better all around athletes than MMA fighters, but MMA is also about skill and training. Just because Punk did MMA type kicks and moves while wrestling doesn't mean that he'll make a good fighter.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Hard to argue against Punk to having to fight somewhere else. He needs to fight in a smaller promotion and work his way up if he wants to continue this career path. Bobby Lashley did it that way and I think it's paying off for him now.
Sure but punk has no time. Age wise he is already at the end of a career. If his next fight is not in the UFC, he will never fight for them again.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Athleticism won't save you from getting knocked the fuck out. I would say that most wrestlers are better all around athletes than MMA fighters, but MMA is also about skill and training. Just because Punk did MMA type kicks and moves while wrestling doesn't mean that he'll make a good fighter.
I'm legitimately not sure if you're trying to argue with me or if you're agreeing with me. It sounds like you're arguing with me, but what you've written ties in to what I was posting more than anything else.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sure but punk has no time. Age wise he is already at the end of a career. If his next fight is not in the UFC, he will never fight for them again.

When he went to MMA and burned all of his bridges with WWE, he really hurt himself. He had to win. All this did was diminish his wrestling career, and future earning potential there. Hell, Batista did one MMA match, won it, and then went back. How do you do one MMA match, lose, and then go back when you are an old man?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
At no point did I claim that athleticism by itself was enough. But the idea that a person is incapable of transitioning into MMA just because they are a former professional wrestler is just absurd seeing as how Lesnar is tied for the most consecutive HW defenses. Punk's problem is not that he is too old, although that's definitely a hindrance, his problem is that he was set up to fail by the UFC. It's not impossible that he could turn out a successful MMA career by starting off down in the bush leagues where he belongs, but the fact that he was allowed to fight in the UFC with no relevant background is fucking ridiculous. Hell even Brock had to go do his first pro in Japan before the UFC signed him, and he had an extremely successful college wrestling career.

The UFC knew he wasn't ready for the big time and they didn't care, they just didn't want to miss the chance to use up his fame for more PPV buys.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
At no point did I claim that athleticism by itself was enough. But the idea that a person is incapable of transitioning into MMA just because they are a former professional wrestler is just absurd seeing as how Lesnar is tied for the most consecutive HW defenses. Punk's problem is not that he is too old, although that's definitely a hindrance, his problem is that he was set up to fail by the UFC. It's not impossible that he could turn out a successful MMA career by starting off down in the bush leagues where he belongs, but the fact that he was allowed to fight in the UFC with no relevant background is fucking ridiculous. Hell even Brock had to go do his first pro in Japan before the UFC signed him, and he had an extremely successful college wrestling career.

The UFC knew he wasn't ready for the big time and they didn't care, they just didn't want to miss the chance to use up his fame for more PPV buys.

Don't forget Bobby Lashley. Lashley is 14-2 in MMA, and he's still wrestling for TNA at the same time.

I do think age is a hindrance, from the stand point of being beaten down. Ever met an ex NFL player or wrestler, and asked them about their health? At any given time, they need 5-10 surgeries to rebuild various body parts. By all accounts, Punk was so beat up from wrestling that he had to sleep on the floor at the end. To hear Kevin Nash talk about it, Punk was not healthy at all before he left. So he then picks MMA as a healthier route LOL. He was in the indies a long time taking abuse before WWE. He's like Daniel Bryan from the standpoint that these guys burnt up half their wrestling careers abusing their bodies wrestling in armories and at gas stations before they made it to the majors.

When he first signed with the UFC, Punk made a comment that he'd wished he signed with them before he'd incurred his last five years' of wresling damage.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You know that no one said this, right?

I don't think I'd care if every professional wrestler on earth was lined up to get into the UFC. I'd love to watch the majority just get absolutely destroyed by guys who have put in the time training for years and are relative unknowns. Fuck, throw @Celebrindal in there and let him pretzel some "professional wrestler" who made millions wearing spandex, LOL.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what you said.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what you said.

Did you miss where I said "the majority"? Or are you simply incapable of understanding what I said? I'm starting to feel that it's the latter.

I have no doubt that SOME of these 'professional wrestlers' could segue over to MMA. But that number would be in the minority and more than likely would be comprised mostly of people who had participated in some sort of associated sport before going into professional wrestling, like collegiate wrestling. But even then you'd have a lot of those wrestlers who would be too physically beat up, too old, or simply too one-dimensional not to get picked apart.

People mention Lesnar and Lashley, but they're probably the exceptions. Overall, most 'professional' wrestlers would not enjoy the measure of success that they had. Which brings me back full-circle to my saying that I'd enjoy watching the majority of them get torn apart.