MMA Thread

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Nurmagomedov runs that McGregor train off the tracks. Conor is 1/3 of my favorite fighters to watch but Khabib is the truth. Conor is smart to duck that one. If he proves me wrong here then let him do whatever he wants.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Nurmagomedov runs that McGregor train off the tracks. Conor is 1/3 of my favorite fighters to watch but Khabib is the truth. Conor is smart to duck that one. If he proves me wrong here then let him do whatever he wants.

I can honestly see McGregor giving him some trouble. Numagomedov's standup is loose and he doesn't have great head movement. If Conor can land some good lefts a la this last fight, it might not go well for Khabib.

If Khabib can get a solid clinch, though, yeah, game over.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I don't think so. I think the only style to beat Conor is if he fights a better boxer TBH. I use to think Nurmy would crush Conor but I don't see that anymore.

People that I see beating Conor (different weight classes)

Nate or Nick by absorption
Cowboy if he just kicks and doesn't stand and trade
Barboza if he only kicks
Wonderboy kills Conor
Aldo If he only kicks
Max if he is crafty and makes it past 1
Brian Ortega cause he's my boy and a straight G
Ferg was on this list buy Lando almost Ko'd him so he's out

I would really mike to see Conor Vs Michael Johnson tbh. I think MJ's boxing is getting pretty good but not quite there.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Wonderboy would be way too big for Conor to deal with. It would be like the fight against Nate, only Wonderboy has far superior striking over Nate.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I don't really consider Connor fighting anyone at 170, its just impractical. He comes in under the weight limit, and is physically too small for the division. Nate is a natural between 170 and 155 and Connor had trouble with someone his size. Wonderboy or Lawler or Rory Mac if he was still around would make Connor look like an ant.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I feel like Nurrmagomedov would destroy Conor. I don't think his take down defense is nearly good enough to stay on his feet. Could be wrong, but watching him last night reminded me how good that guys is.

100% agree.

I also think that Yoel would obliterate Bisping into retirement.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Khabib v. Conor is the same battle everyone talks about. If Khabib survives on the feet long enough to get him to the ground, that round (and potentially the fight) is over for Conor. If he survives on his feet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Well I also think it needs to be Khabib vs Ferguson to settle who the #1 contender to face Conor. In the meantime, Conor needs to defend 145 against Jose.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Well I also think it needs to be Khabib vs Ferguson to settle who the #1 contender to face Conor. In the meantime, Conor needs to defend 145 against Jose.

Wish Ferguson hadn't had to pull out earlier in the year, we'd already have seen that fight. Khabib actually having fought a couple times again now makes me feel like he can be first in line at 155.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I think he needs to pick a weight class and stick with it. Unless he is able to fight every 3 months at a minimum, and that should have to be alternating between weight classes, to defend both belts, he should give one of them up. He obviously proved he is good enough to win in both divisions. But to defend in 2 divisions without having it be a total gridlock is nearly impossible

Merrith

I think he needs to pick a weight class and stick with it. Unless he is able to fight every 3 months at a minimum, and that should have to be alternating between weight classes, to defend both belts, he should give one of them up. He obviously proved he is good enough to win in both divisions. But to defend in 2 divisions without having it be a total gridlock is nearly impossible

Really wish RDA had never gotten hurt. At this point set into motion a chain reaction that has held up the FW belt for 11 months at this point...but can't hate on Conor for wanting a break, he's had 4 fights in the last 11 months, in 3 different weight divisions.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Really wish RDA had never gotten hurt. At this point set into motion a chain reaction that has held up the FW belt for 11 months at this point...but can't hate on Conor for wanting a break, he's had 4 fights in the last 11 months, in 3 different weight divisions.
Totally agree on both points. And while you have to give him props for taking the Diaz fight the first time, it really fucked things up when he insisted on doing it again, especially at 170! I mean I get it, he had a point to prove, but it still fucked things up.

So while yes I can understand him wanting to take a break, fuck that. You hold 2 belts. Get your ass back in there!

Merrith

Totally agree on both points. And while you have to give him props for taking the Diaz fight the first time, it really fucked things up when he insisted on doing it again, especially at 170! I mean I get it, he had a point to prove, but it still fucked things up.

So while yes I can understand him wanting to take a break, fuck that. You hold 2 belts. Get your ass back in there!

I blame RDA for the Nate Saga. Conor could have waited for RDA to get healthy for his shot at LW but wanted to put together something to save the card. Then fought 2 weight classes above what he had ever fought before in UFC to do it. Once he lot to Nate, who many consider a LW, he had to avenge the loss before he could really move on to LW belt.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

I agree completey: no breaks if he wants to hold both belts. Holding two belts is not tennable, and if he attempts to try to defend both I believe it will be beginning Connors undoing.

But fucked things up? Only a little from a rules perspective, I would concede it is quite undesirable because it dismisses and disrespects other contenders. But overall for the sport, and health of the sports purses it is great for the business side for everyone.

UFC will IMHO need to share more of their profits, but they absolutely need to regain control of the matchmaking and set some respectfull and reasonable rules about weight class jumping.

From a selfish perspective, I would love an Aldo rematch or another defense fight at 145 but that kind of yoyoing through weight classes cannot be good or sustainable in the long run for Connor. McGregor had best be carefull, just another year or two and he will be over the hill..... age catches up fast hehe.

• 1Cutler