MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sad that I will be in a car driving back from Southern California while the fights are on. While I don't anticipate the main event to be terribly competitive, I always love to watch Jones fight.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jon's the best, but chael's even better.

He was channeling
Stephen-Colbert.jpg

with that line.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, just like the "he's so boring he put even Machida to sleep" while that nasty fucking choke played in the background.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
lol Grim.

It was an interesting choice to have Benson Henderson headline the last 2 out of 3 Fox cards. He is as dominant a champion as they have right now, and someone that the UFC brand can get behind 100%, but... I think the card was lacking excitement and buzz because they felt too similar. Henderson is a guy they know won't get PPV buys, but he will put on a great fight. So, he is the perfect answer for their free Fox cards... or so they think.

Fact is, their PPV model only exists in 5 years if they do somethingwrong. UFC is not the NFL, MLB, or NBA but they want to be. There is a reason none of the big 3 sports hide their content behind $60 PPV charges. Everyone knows the UFC took off when they started showing free content on Spike via TUF. Not putting Anderson Silva, while still in his prime, in front of the entire world on free Fox TV is the biggest mistake Zuffa has ever made. The are cashing in on short term gains, when they could be gaining millions of new fans with every Fox broadcast. I love Benson, but his last 8 fights have gone to decision and the signature moment of his career is Pettis leaping out of the Matrix to kick him in the face. The casual UFC fan must think this guy is the face of the sport.

The PPV model must go. It is a death sentence, but a slow one, like getting life in prison. The longer they ride it out, the greater the chance the sport loses it's momentum. Then at best, they have a fan base that resembles the NHL's.
You know I actually really tend to agree with you here. Apparently, the UFC does not. Really a bit surprised that they are going to make the 125 weight class headline the next UFC on Fox event

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/u...seattle-042413

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Can someone explain this to me? Why did he say it would be easier for him to make 155 than 180, right after he said he walks around at 190? Why would it be hard for him to NOT cut weight? Or does he just mean that he'd feel like he had to bulk up and walk around at 200+ in order to not be at such a size disadvantage?
Yes, you got the gist of it. He is saying that cutting to 155 wouldn't be all the difficult for him and he would be a big 155er. However, fighting Anderson at 185 he would still have a pretty significant size disadvantage. Even if he tried to bulk up, he would most likely go into the fight 15-20 pounds smaller than Anderson.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
I was one of the regulars of the thread on FoH and shit I've(probably stupidly) donated for HQ streams at a certain site Araxen knows of. So... shut up.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll root for Chael, but let's be honest... he had a better shot against Anderson than he does against Jones. This is going to be a massacre and possibly a retirement fight.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I expect Chael to get choked unconscious in the first two rounds, and to get pretty much embarrassed leading up to that point. He's fighting another rangy guy with unorthodox strikes? Only this one is younger, stronger, and has better wrestling? Yeeeeah....

And please, no "he's got a chance is all I'm saying" bullshit. Every fighter has a chance in every fight.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Jones has crazy striking. Silva has refined striking. Which means Chael can more likely avoid it. Jones ground game isn't tested(Silvas was proven to be quite poor but rarely works). That's why I think Chael has a chance.

Jones has proven he can get people to the ground via Judo throws/etc and good body-to-body wrestling; his striking is still "wild" as fuck though.

Renault

N00b
Honestly, the most interesting thing to me about the fight is that Jones said a few years ago that he was constantly working on his guard in training and I think Chael has a pretty good chance to land a takedown at some point so maybe he'll get triangled...again.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Chael never gets a submission landed against him though. >.>

Seriously, if he'd learn defense against submissions he'd be a ground and pound beast. :/