MMA Thread

Fedor

<Banned>
iMrqndkbTDUgH.gif

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Throwing those kicks at the beginning of the round tells me Frank Mir has no idea how to fight once he gets into the ring.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Frank Miir already looks gassed and it's only one minute into the first round. lol

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
God I never want to watch another Mir fight. Not quite bad enough to kill the buzz from seeing Diaz get his ass beat, but that was pretty awful by Mir.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Oh god...

Surprised the decision was so close. I thought Melendez won round 1 and maybe rd. 5, but Henderson looked like he pretty clearly won the others.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bah, forgot to add 30min to the recording so only saw the first round and 2 minutes of the 2nd of the main event. Whatevs.

War Matt Brown.

edit:Gifs, gifs, and more gifsfrom the event.

BTW, how many times do the Diaz brothers need to get beat up before they come up with a gameplan more complex than "try to make the guy trade punches, don't worry about getting taken down" ?

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Damn, nobody said shit about that card. I fell asleep before the Thompson and Diaz fight and woke up to Henderson getting his hand raised. Was it that bad?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Top to bottom the card was pretty great. Or I guess middle to bottom.... Ton of finishes. Didn't see the whole Bendo fight though so I can't judge there. And Mir/Cormier was boring.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How on earth does someone recover from a body shot like this? Every time I got nailed by a body shot that was hard enough to fold me, my whole body pretty much locked up for next 10-30 seconds.
I may not have explained this sufficiently earlier, let me give you some more details...

WAR MATT BROWN!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WAR MATT BROWN!
lol Grim.

It was an interesting choice to have Benson Henderson headline the last 2 out of 3 Fox cards. He is as dominant a champion as they have right now, and someone that the UFC brand can get behind 100%, but... I think the card was lacking excitement and buzz because they felt too similar. Henderson is a guy they know won't get PPV buys, but he will put on a great fight. So, he is the perfect answer for their free Fox cards... or so they think.

Fact is, their PPV model only exists in 5 years if they do somethingwrong. UFC is not the NFL, MLB, or NBA but they want to be. There is a reason none of the big 3 sports hide their content behind $60 PPV charges. Everyone knows the UFC took off when they started showing free content on Spike via TUF. Not putting Anderson Silva, while still in his prime, in front of the entire world on free Fox TV is the biggest mistake Zuffa has ever made. The are cashing in on short term gains, when they could be gaining millions of new fans with every Fox broadcast. I love Benson, but his last 8 fights have gone to decision and the signature moment of his career is Pettis leaping out of the Matrix to kick him in the face. The casual UFC fan must think this guy is the face of the sport.

The PPV model must go. It is a death sentence, but a slow one, like getting life in prison. The longer they ride it out, the greater the chance the sport loses it's momentum. Then at best, they have a fan base that resembles the NHL's.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Sonnen just gave the funniest Sportscenter interview of all time. Hope its a good fight this weekend....