MMA Thread

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That bare knuckle shit isnt going to last. The fighters are taking too much facial damage. And it seems as though guys just exclusively head hunt, for some reason the bare kuckle game doesnt lend itself to body punching.

This is a doubly bad problem, as there is going to be a higher likelyhood of injury. So even the fighter that wins ends up suffering in the long run, they arent going to be able to absrb the punishment over time. I dont even really find it that intriguing. Its one level away from a worldstar street fight in some senses.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen
That bare knuckle shit isnt going to last. The fighters are taking too much facial damage. And it seems as though guys just exclusively head hunt, for some reason the bare kuckle game doesnt lend itself to body punching.

This is a doubly bad problem, as there is going to be a higher likelyhood of injury. So even the fighter that wins ends up suffering in the long run, they arent going to be able to absrb the punishment over time. I dont even really find it that intriguing. Its one level away from a worldstar street fight in some senses.

But it's entertaining in the meanwhile, in a "So You Wanna Fight" kinda way. But ya, not much depth there, it would seem

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda reminds me of the UFC way way long ago in the beginning and zero rules for the most part.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wtf was that bullshit? paulie played keep away while Artem was trying to head hunt with obvious haymakers.

the problem with BKB is you have to be in dire straits to take it, no other promotions want you, and thats usually cuz you're a mma fighter, if you're a boxer doing BKB, you fucked up somewhere in your career.

Paulie doing BKB against artem was his only "in" on the Conor gravy train, i truly think that Paulie believes that Conor is ONLY so famous b/c of those "leaked" sparring sessions, and Conor has taken Paulies payday.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
i disagree with you guys on the above. bare knuckle damage is mostly cosmetic, yeah people get busted up noses and cut faces, but all that heals up easy. the potential for CTE and other brain injuries is lower because of quicker knockouts, less / shorter rounds, fighters busting their hands on skulls etc., as opposed to regular boxing where people take consistent head rattling in the ring for round after round and all throughout training.

also i like bare knuckle because it really gets to the heartwood of fighting - will. in UFC if a fighter loses will they can give up an easy submission and lose in an honourable kind of way, but in bare knuckle you either get ktfo or have to throw in the towel and take the reputation hit. some examples of this will are rory vs robbie, where rory lost will and just gave in due to the monstrous damage he took, and whittaker vs romero 2 where yoel rocked him, but bobby kept standing and throwing muscle memory defensive elbows while semi-conscious, and ended up recovering and taking the win.

its like joe rogan always goes on about "the fighter rocked his opponent so it should count for extra points etc", but i disagree with that, fighters are SUPPOSED to rock people. if romero or ngannou drop a bomb on someone and rock them, that's no surprise, that's what they train to do, and that's their job. but for the dude who gets hit by that bomb, gets rocked, and fights through it on willpower and muscle memory alone to recover? THAT is the essence of fighting and THAT is the one thing you can't train. i'll take a gutsy recovery from a stun over a lucky haymaker any day of the week, and bare knuckle goes straight to the heart of the matter - dudes who know they have busted up faces and even missing teeth (the first artem vs knight bout was fucking brutal) still grinding it out because ... reasons.

bare knuckle is interesting as well because its "new" and so is quickly evolving into a new discipline with new ways of doing things. it wouldn't surprise me if it comes full circle and people start fighting 1800's style with pimp moustaches and old style guards because they would have had all that shit figured out back in the days of 100 round fights.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The only problem BKB has is finding fighters that don't mind getting hit. When both fighters are in it to fight the matches are pretty good but when one guy just runs around because he doesn't want to take a hit it's rather boring. I know it's a fine line because you don't want to get hit but you have to at least engage in the fight.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
some examples of this will are rory vs robbie, where rory lost will and just gave in due to the monstrous damage he took
WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE there broccoli sprout, with your sherlock levels of observation, you believe Rory gave up after 22minutes.

“What I’m seeing when I’m watching Robbie and Rory – Rory is, in the first round, landing more punches, but they’re not real hard,” “Robbie is not throwing a lot, but when he’s landing shots they are thudding shots. They are heavy. And then he ends up breaking his nose in the first round. I watch Rory and he starts doing what we call aspirating blood.

“As he’s breathing through his mouth, he sucks in more air as he gets more tired – now he comes into the second round and third round he gets a cut in his mouth. And he’s got a cut that’s bleeding into his mouth. In the third round he’s really sucking a lot of air. When he goes after Robbie and he’s hurting Robbie, that’s great, but he’s sucking these little droplets of blood that are now being aspirated. They’re not going down into his stomach, they’re going into his lungs and they’re stopping what his lungs can do as far as dissipating that oxygen to his muscles. This is the thing that I’m worried about. This is what I’m watching.”

Eventually, the damage accumulated to the point where a single shot from Lawler was too much for MacDonald to take, leading to the stoppage at the 1:00 mark of Round 5.

“90 percent of that fight I was watching Rory.”

fuck off

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE there broccoli sprout, with your sherlock levels of observation, you believe Rory gave up after 22minutes.

fuck off
Seriously mewkus, I'm aspirating all the shit you just spewed all over this thread.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
way to argue the point there idiots. so out of all that was typed, we have lanx sperg out that rory didn't "give up", he was "aspirated out". nothing about other fighters who may have been equally wrecked but still rose up against the odds and won, or at what point does damage override will and the fighter or their team pulls them out. just abuse. ok, good conversation fellas, sorry for interrupting your mma amateur hour circle jerk.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its your opinion that BKB is less traumatic than MMA. I think it is a fucking retarded thing to say, as there is absolutely no fucking basis for your "cosmetic" injury statement and how it pertains to brain damage.

There are different kinds of lacerations and other facial injuries, but a fucking cut is a cut. It doesnt matter if the guy suffered a concussion or not, his face is still fucked up, it doesnt magically heal faster because of the way it was inflicted...LOL. There is a reason why fighters faces look awful after all of these fights, knuckles on face cause way more injury, and all they do is headhunt.

And if willpower was the "heartwood" of fighting, then scrubs would be champions. Its actually a variety of factors, most of all skill and conditioning. Then you have talent and THEN willpower. There are a ton of guys with unbelievable will power who never reach the height of their profession. Diego Sanchez comes to mind. No, it takes much more than willpower. And I would argue a combat sport like Muay Thai is more entertaining than BKB. MMA is most definitely more entertaining IMO. BKB is the backwater for guys who washed out of MMA and everyone knows it.

There are no "up and coming stars" in the BKB circuit...lol. And there is a reason for that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
i disagree with you guys on the above. bare knuckle damage is mostly cosmetic, yeah people get busted up noses and cut faces, but all that heals up easy. the potential for CTE and other brain injuries is lower because of quicker knockouts, less / shorter rounds, fighters busting their hands on skulls etc., as opposed to regular boxing where people take consistent head rattling in the ring for round after round and all throughout training.

also i like bare knuckle because it really gets to the heartwood of fighting - will. in UFC if a fighter loses will they can give up an easy submission and lose in an honourable kind of way, but in bare knuckle you either get ktfo or have to throw in the towel and take the reputation hit. some examples of this will are rory vs robbie, where rory lost will and just gave in due to the monstrous damage he took, and whittaker vs romero 2 where yoel rocked him, but bobby kept standing and throwing muscle memory defensive elbows while semi-conscious, and ended up recovering and taking the win.

its like joe rogan always goes on about "the fighter rocked his opponent so it should count for extra points etc", but i disagree with that, fighters are SUPPOSED to rock people. if romero or ngannou drop a bomb on someone and rock them, that's no surprise, that's what they train to do, and that's their job. but for the dude who gets hit by that bomb, gets rocked, and fights through it on willpower and muscle memory alone to recover? THAT is the essence of fighting and THAT is the one thing you can't train. i'll take a gutsy recovery from a stun over a lucky haymaker any day of the week, and bare knuckle goes straight to the heart of the matter - dudes who know they have busted up faces and even missing teeth (the first artem vs knight bout was fucking brutal) still grinding it out because ... reasons.

bare knuckle is interesting as well because its "new" and so is quickly evolving into a new discipline with new ways of doing things. it wouldn't surprise me if it comes full circle and people start fighting 1800's style with pimp moustaches and old style guards because they would have had all that shit figured out back in the days of 100 round fights.
TLDR - I think street fights are better than MMA or boxing.

This entire post is full of conjecture based on what you think fighting should be.

way to argue the point there idiots. so out of all that was typed, we have lanx sperg out that rory didn't "give up", he was "aspirated out". nothing about other fighters who may have been equally wrecked but still rose up against the odds and won, or at what point does damage override will and the fighter or their team pulls them out. just abuse. ok, good conversation fellas, sorry for interrupting your mma amateur hour circle jerk.
I would love to see an example of a fighter who took the amount of damage that Rory did and came back to win. Yes, there are fighters who come back and win after losing a few rounds, but I can't recall a single fighter that took as much damage as Rory in that fight, much less one that came back to win.

Don't like MMA, don't post in the MMA thread. Personally I think the bare knuckle fighting should be posted in the boxing thread, because that is what it is, boxing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user