MMA Thread

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Sounds kinda shitty to commit to a fight and then to start arguing over pay (assuming these details are correct)

Rais

Trakanon Raider
The word is he wanted 10 million for him and nate since the buyrate was so high last fight. Not to mention the rate was more likely going to be higher this time around.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Basically, reports I read. Its over disclosed pay in addition to PPV buys. Honestly fuck the UFC, he should be paid more for the kind of money he is generating for them. I suspect this will be compromised sometime in the next month.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think it's about money. He already signed and knew the money that he would earn at UFC 200. Same as they negotiated the weight at 170.

I think he might of injured himself or got caught on steroids, but I love a good conspiracy theory.

Column_sl

shitlord
10 million isnt even that much, the UFC would be crazy not to pay that out.

Connor is pretty much their poster boy right now even when he loses.

There has to be more to this story.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, something doesn't right about this whole thing. Definitely more to it than what's being said

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10 million isnt even that much, the UFC would be crazy not to pay that out.
lol, $10m is a lot. Also, it sets a precedence and a new bar that they aren't willing to be at.

Conor is overplaying his hand here. The solid fanbase, not the casual drive-by's, never wanted this rematch to begin with. He is staking his career on the uproar and the outrage of walking away from a fight a lot of people don't give a fuck about. I'm sure UFC is content to let him walk and be forgotten just as fast as he rose to prominence.

This is why there needs to be viable and competing fight-organizations. In the NFL, MLB, and NBA you have free agency and the market for a player sorts itself out by multiple teams bidding for their services. The UFC is a monopoly where the fighters only have one option for recourse, walk away.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some folks have mentioned he's talked about the brain injury aspect of the sport before and is concerned about it. So it's probably a combination of all these things.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
Basically, reports I read. Its over disclosed pay in addition to PPV buys. Honestly fuck the UFC, he should be paid more for the kind of money he is generating for them. I suspect this will be compromised sometime in the next month.
DFW said today that McGregor was a stand-up guy and has never tried to renegotiate his contract. DFW's word usually doesn't count for shit but if this was really about the $$, he would be singing a different tune, imho.

Column_sl

shitlord
lol, $10m is a lot. Also, it sets a precedence and a new bar that they aren't willing to be at.

Conor is overplaying his hand here. The solid fanbase, not the casual drive-by's, never wanted this rematch to begin with. He is staking his career on the uproar and the outrage of walking away from a fight a lot of people don't give a fuck about. I'm sure UFC is content to let him walk and be forgotten just as fast as he rose to prominence.

This is why there needs to be viable and competing fight-organizations. In the NFL, MLB, and NBA you have free agency and the market for a player sorts itself out by multiple teams bidding for their services. The UFC is a monopoly where the fighters only have one option for recourse, walk away.
Conor is a huge household name right now in the US and Europe.I would say just as big as Rhonda. Floyd made 220 million on that PAC fight.

10 million is nothing...

And they should be paying there top fighters better.

Dana White: If Conor McGregor calls me now, the fight with Nate Diaz is back on | MMAjunkie

DFW Said Conor could still be on card.

Dana said is the media tour had to go through Stockton and Mcgregor lost his shit.
This is a 100% publicity stunt. If they were really having a problem you wouldn't hear shit like that in the press.

Only thing that is concerning is this is really close to UFC 200 launch date, so we will know soon if this was all just bull shit.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
^ 100%.

The buyrate for McGregor va. Diaz was placed at about 1 million? All he has to do is look across the market to boxing and see he is getting fucking jipped badly in payout. Anyone doing 700,000+ buys in PPV should easily be walking away with $10 million.

I hope Conor is successful in finally bringing some attention to how poorly these fighters are paid. The Fertittas and DFW, and one investment company are pocketing some yearly money that could certainly find its way into the fighters hands.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds to me like this is all going to be a 100% troll job by Conor, maybe with UFC knowledge, to drum up more interest.

Conspiracy theories are fun!

Jive Turkey

Karen
I hope that's true. For several years before McGregor came along, my interest had been waining. I'd still watch, but it didn't seem as exciting as it used to be.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well, he was more interesting to watch than the Jones/Cormier stupidity, but that really isn't saying much.

The UFC needs a fucking Grand Prix.

Column_sl

shitlord
I watched the first few UFC's again a couple nights ago.

I would love to see a no weight class tournament again where the only rule is you can't target the eyes, or groin.

Shit was dope