MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That isn't at all what he said, and I am not sure how you translated it that way. The second sentence even says "the majority", not all.

I am going to stand by my statement that CM Punk has no business being in the UFC. He should fight in smaller promotions against other guys that are still new to the sport if he really wants to have any success. I realize Dana said CM Punk shouldn't fight in the UFC again, but if he feels he can get a PPV draw out of him then Dana will allow him another fight to get crushed. Maybe they will even find someone totally new to the sport as well to fight him, who knows.

Edit: Oh whoops, looks like I didn't go to the next page where Erronius had already responded.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Add Alberto Del Rio to the list, he's had like 14 or 15 matches also, with a winning record. And yeah, he started off with Greco Roman wrestling also, then went professional wrestling, and mixed in some MMA. Apparently, he was on the Mexican national wrestling team when he was in his 20's, and went to the Pan Am games. He would have been on the Mexican Olympic team, but Mexico decided to not sponsor a team that year.

I remember reading on the rumor sites that they were concerned Punk wasn't picking up the grappling like he should. I'm thinking he shouldn't have been steamrolled like that, for a guy who trained day and night for two years. Some guys just don't "get" wrestling. I'm one of them. I've tried wrestling in HS, and a little BJJ, and I fully admit, I get lost.

Punk is going to need to decide if he wants to spend the rest of his athletic career working his way up through the minors to maybe earn his way back. There aren't too many 50 year old full time professional wrestlers or MMA fighters.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Good wrestling is obviously huge in MMA. If you are a superb wrestler, you can determine where the fight takes place. That is the reason for the success of people like Lesnar and Lashley. They were legit wrestlers before being fake wrestlers, and then moved to MMA

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah for two years of training with top coaches, there is no reason his ass looked like a day one white belt.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah for two years of training with top coaches, there is no reason his ass looked like a day one white belt.

If you go by Roufus' statements, Punk was the first one in the studio and the last one to leave. Maybe he just didn't have an aptitude for wrestling. I was thinking the same thing. Punk looked like a white belt out there. Gall said he's been training ten years, but how much of that was full time at the age of 14? And we are assuming that he didn't work in this timeframe also. Punk had the benefit of world class training, and $10 million in the bank.

I love Punk (you can tell by my avatar bet), but if the best you can show from devoting unlimited resources and living in the studio for two years, is to look like a white belt, maybe it's time to chase another dream.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That isn't at all what he said, and I am not sure how you translated it that way. The second sentence even says "the majority", not all.

I am going to stand by my statement that CM Punk has no business being in the UFC. He should fight in smaller promotions against other guys that are still new to the sport if he really wants to have any success. I realize Dana said CM Punk shouldn't fight in the UFC again, but if he feels he can get a PPV draw out of him then Dana will allow him another fight to get crushed. Maybe they will even find someone totally new to the sport as well to fight him, who knows.

Edit: Oh whoops, looks like I didn't go to the next page where Erronius had already responded.

Punk got paid 500k for the match and Gall only got 30k. lol.
After Punk's massive fail, he's not going to be getting that kind of payday again anytime soon in UFC.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
At least Tony was a decorated boxer. CM Punk was always a bad signing in terms of him being able to progress as a pro MMA fighter but that wasn't why he was signed so who cares. UFC's money was probably well spent in terms of fans gained just from the extra pro wrestling fans attention they keep tapping into.

I hope he fights again just not in the UFC. He needs some more ring time.

Fedor

<Banned>
CsDvMgtW8AACWmM.jpg

CsDxSdWWEAERri6.jpg

CsDoFb5WgAAP8Tq.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you go by Roufus' statements, Punk was the first one in the studio and the last one to leave. Maybe he just didn't have an aptitude for wrestling. I was thinking the same thing. Punk looked like a white belt out there. Gall said he's been training ten years, but how much of that was full time at the age of 14? And we are assuming that he didn't work in this timeframe also. Punk had the benefit of world class training, and $10 million in the bank.

I love Punk (you can tell by my avatar bet), but if the best you can show from devoting unlimited resources and living in the studio for two years, is to look like a white belt, maybe it's time to chase another dream.

Or maybe 2 years just wasn't enough when you have no actual other fighting experience? I mean Mickey Gall may have been an unknown, but he's still a UFC unknown. Punk had 2 years of gym training and nothing else. Gall was 3-0 as an amateur and 2-0 as a pro going into that fight, with his second pro win in the UFC. Shit, I have a natural aptitude for fighting and if I burned this lard off and then spent 2 years at a gym with a high level MMA trainer, I still wouldn't want to face a UFC nobody as my first MMA fight ever.

Unless I was getting paid 500k for the fight that is.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit at that broken finger. Pretty badass that he was able to keep fighting

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
overeem running 1/4 the fight, still uploading vid, give it a min

Overeem was so close to getting the Yves Edwards v Josh Thompson kick to the face while running. That would have been great.

Last edited:
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
UFC's money was probably well spent in terms of fans gained just from the extra pro wrestling fans attention they keep tapping into.

So Punk drew way more than he was expected to. My MMA stream didn't work, so I actually bought the PPV just to see him. The last PPV I bought was a Tyson fight from 20 years ago.

The UFC wanted this to go one way, there was more money to be made, but Mickey didn't do the job, he shot instead.

Reports: CM Punk More Than Doubled UFC 203's Pay-Per-View Revenue, Drawing Power Among MMA Elite

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
the numbers on the buys i saw was around 700k. no fucking way that card was gonna pull in mighty mouse numbers.