MMA Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I know sinus infections can suck, but that isn't a reason to pull out at the last minute.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I have some sympathy for that. My sinuses are terrible and holy fuck, when they get abscessed you basically just want to die.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, totally get that. But if you have a sinus infection, and if you get them with any regularity you know how bad they are, you don't wait until hours before the fight to pull out.

Goatface

Read some comments saying, she gets an infection nearly every time she flies and tries to fly in 2 weeks before fights and she made comments about dealing with it earlier in the week.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Read some comments saying, she gets an infection nearly every time she flies and tries to fly in 2 weeks before fights and she made comments about dealing with it earlier in the week.

My sympathy is reduced if this was not a surprise. Treat it preemptively or get surgery if it happens every time you get on a plane.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I can tell you first hand you do whatever you fucking can to tough through any injury in this sport, she cried her eyes out alone in a room smashing things cursing everyone who has ever wronged her after she pulled herself. She honestly thought she would find a way to get over it and I admire her for trying.

That lesbian cam beat some fucking ass, and I can't wait to watch her drop her next opponent.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well that just fucking sucks. The UFC MW division was quickly becoming one of the more interesting divisions, but losing him will hurt it.

I can only guess Dana decided that he wasn't worth what Mousasi was demanding, and let him walk.

Goatface

still not removed from UFC ranking and stuff, wonder if came as a surprise to them
or the web people just slackers now, they used to have people removed asap

Jive Turkey

Karen
How many guys are they going to let walk to Bellator? There will be a tipping point eventually when a good percentage of top fighters jump ship. Even if they don't think some of these guys are worth the money, they should be hanging on to them in spite of Bellator. UFC is going to end up letting their competition get too strong and we'll end up with a WWF/WCW early 2000s type situation

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
As someone who watched pro wrestling back then, this seems like a win for fans.
I was thinking the same thing. Rogan always says the better Bellator & other competing organizations are the better it is for the Sport of MMA.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Or WME takes another bridge Loan and Scott Coker makes bank again selling products/fighters to UFC. They new owners are definitely penny wise pound foolish lately.

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
Good for Moose. I doubt he was asking for anything extravagant, I believe he even said that in his post fight press conference after the Weidman fight and said it again on UFC Tonight Show. Their loss, he is a big name and draw regardless of what UFC wants people to think. But hey keep paying Travis Brown $120k and Overeem $800k. *golf clap*

edit: I really think Rory Mac and Moose will cross paths in Bellator also. Should be a great fight!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That was my immediate reaction too, but it will mean a lot of the best fighters won't be fighting one another
And this is what I worry about. Remember when both PRIDE and UFC were going strong, and everyone was frothing for some of those guys to fight each other. I really don't want to be in that situation again, it sucks.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can only guess Dana decided that he wasn't worth what Mousasi was demanding, and let him walk.

I don't think Dana White has anything to do with this. Other than being the mouthpiece/whipping boy that will have to try to make it sound like a good decision.

The current money people at the UFC did the math and decided he wasn't a big enough draw, it's that simple.

The internet loves Moose, I've loved him since the DREAM tourney, but is he a big draw to the general public? Fighters aren't paid based on their skill they're paid based on how much money they can earn the promotion. Being a better fighter helps that some, but there's so much more to it.

I fucking hate seeing business fuck up the sport I love, and God knows it seems to be the case more and more, but it's been the name of the game from the start. Fighters are going to go where they feel they can make the most money, as they should. The promotion is going to have a ceiling on what they're willing to pay to keep them and it's going to be based on that fighter being cheap enough to keep them in the black on the deal. Bellator is willing to take some of those on as loss leaders to build the brand, they have that Viacom money behind them. It's great for those fighters bank accounts, it's hopefully good for Bellator, but it's not so hot for those of us sitting here wanting to see the absolute best possible fights.

Lorenzo was a bit more willing to bend to keep people because he was so in to the sport itself and UFC was basically his brand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't think Dana White has anything to do with this. Other than being the mouthpiece/whipping boy that will have to try to make it sound like a good decision.

The current money people at the UFC did the math and decided he wasn't a big enough draw, it's that simple.

The internet loves Moose, I've loved him since the DREAM tourney, but is he a big draw to the general public? Fighters aren't paid based on their skill they're paid based on how much money they can earn the promotion. Being a better fighter helps that some, but there's so much more to it.

I fucking hate seeing business fuck up the sport I love, and God knows it seems to be the case more and more, but it's been the name of the game from the start. Fighters are going to go where they feel they can make the most money, as they should. The promotion is going to have a ceiling on what they're willing to pay to keep them and it's going to be based on that fighter being cheap enough to keep them in the black on the deal. Bellator is willing to take some of those on as loss leaders to build the brand, they have that Viacom money behind them. It's great for those fighters bank accounts, it's hopefully good for Bellator, but it's not so hot for those of us sitting here wanting to see the absolute best possible fights.

Lorenzo was a bit more willing to bend to keep people because he was so in to the sport itself and UFC was basically his brand.

tldr; he isn't American, he can't talk very well, he sounds -255 Charisma, he looks faceless, he can beat up potential draws and he is big on the internet.

Hello Rory MacDonald 2.0.

WME says "Hard pass". There isn't going to be any money given to people who aren't traditional Hollywood draws under the new ownership. Hence Overeems 800k tag to eat loss after loss, INCREASED from 250k at signing. Prime example.

Mitrione wants more money? Oh another Mousasi MacDonald type of guy that can't talk very well and has the appeal of drying paint. Now on the other hand-- Stipe with his Oscar the Grouch inhuman monster voice post-fight, the insane celebrations, and Chuck Liddell-esque ring antics after a win? He's gonna get paid at some point when he sits down at the negotiating table.

Last edited:

Goatface

UFC ranking updated
Mousasi still there, but got bumped down one spot to 5th lol

Overeem is now #1
Cain falls to 3rd

Travis Browne falls 5 to 14th