MMA Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
Joe Rogan will say any fighter is good. HIGH LEVEL. WORLD CLASS. I mean he's not wrong. Being in the UFC makes them world class by definition.

I've just never heard Joe say anything that approaches "Yeah, that guy sucks". Every person he talks about is in the top 5 of all time. That gets a little annoying, but I get it for sure. The worst i've ever heard him say is, "He's not ready yet" or "He shouldn't have been put in that fight, he's obviously outmatched" or "He had a great run, but CTE man and the body damage... maybe he should retire".

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Rosuey era, aka not just a once in a lifetime fighter but a once in a EVER fighter aka would smoke Mayweather in a boxing match aka could beat Cain Velasquez np esp if fight goes down to the ground, was absolutely hilarious and equally shitty at the same time. So glad that nonsense is over lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shano

Joe Rogan will say any fighter is good. WORLD CLASS. I mean he's not wrong. Being in the UFC makes them world class by definition.

I've just never heard Joe say anything that approaches "Yeah, that guy sucks". Every person he talks about is in the top 5 of all time. That gets a little annoying, but I get it for sure. The worst i've ever heard him say is, "He's not ready yet" or "He shouldn't have been put in that fight, he's obviously outmatched"

He basically said CM Punk sucked ass and of course he wasn't wrong. That's about the only time I've heard him trash someone in UFC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, you're right. He did say CM Punk was pulling a publicity thing and wasn't a real competitor.

• 1Like

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
nunes smoking cyborg is definitely one for the ages. condit / chiesa was a ground masterclass to watch as well. and fuck yeah volkanovski 19-1 and megan, the aussies are putting in a good showing recently which makes for a great pub atmosphere down this neck of the woods.

jon jones knows he's a piece of shit, you saw it in his face in the first two rounds. he just happens to be touched by god which makes for the great story. DC should not give him the honour of a final bout (except maybe at heavyweight .... maybe). surprised / disappointed how easy gus got wrestled down though, did i miss something?

also i do like how joe is fine with getting sweated all over his nice shirts which need looser buttons at the end of every bout. definitely the MMA everyman, even jones went to him immediately for the statement.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No, she still throws shitty punches. I remember arguing here, how Ronda punched like a first-year boxer and getting the scorn of the MMA forum with several links to joe rogan saying how good she was.

Amanda hit off first with a looping overhand. Fucking disgusting but if you let it land on you, well good night.

Anticlimatic night falls on Jones.

Straight up shutting down heavyweight possibilities was fucking stupid. It also damaged the much hyped Lesnar fight. If he truly cared about the fight being moved from Vegas to LA he would have at least kept the door open on heavyweight. You don't fully shut something down when you have an audience like that. Its bad for how people will consider the Jones-Gus match in the aftermath. (Hint: they will feel ripped off).

UFC told Joe to serve up some hype in his ear piece and Jones takes a LONG PAUSE and then sucks all the air out of the room after a pretty uneventful non-competitive match.

Fuck.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shano

surprised / disappointed how easy gus got wrestled down though, did i miss something?

Gus was doing a great job defending the TD's but Jones kept attacking the leg and at some point really fucked it up. I don't know if it was those straight kicks to the knee or a side kick into the calf / shin that did it or maybe just cumulative damage from both but something definitely messed it up.

Just saw Gus at the post fight conference and when he was done answering questions he went to stand up normally and it just didn't happen. Had to swing his leg over a couple times and then push off the desk to stand and limp away. I almost didn't think he was gonna be able to stand up for a second. Felt pretty bad for him tbh.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Anticlimatic night falls on Jones.

Straight up shutting down heavyweight possibilities was fucking stupid. It also damaged the much hyped Lesnar fight. If he truly cared about the fight being moved from Vegas to LA he would have at least kept the door open on heavyweight. You don't fully shut something down when you have an audience like that. Its bad for how people will consider the Jones-Gus match in the aftermath. (Hint: they will feel ripped off).

UFC told Joe to serve up some hype in his ear piece and Jones takes a LONG PAUSE and then sucks all the air out of the room after a pretty uneventful non-competitive match.

Fuck.
I don't know if Jones swearing off anything at HW will mean anything, if at some point in the future he changes his mind. No one will hold him to this.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gus was doing a great job defending the TD's but Jones kept attacking the leg and at some point really fucked it up. I don't know if it was those straight kicks to the knee or a side kick into the calf / shin that did it or maybe just cumulative damage from both but something definitely messed it up.

Just saw Gus at the post fight conference and when he was done answering questions he went to stand up normally and it just didn't happen. Had to swing his leg over a couple times and then push off the desk to stand and limp away. I almost didn't think he was gonna be able to stand up for a second. Felt pretty bad for him tbh.

You weren't exaggerating. That looks terrible-- I just saw it right now on the VOD and my jaw dropped.

Didn't even have to rewind it for effect. Shit was bad. I'd suggest everyone take a look.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
too much portuguese in the press conference, they'll need to sort that out if brazilians are going to keep dominating maybe 20% of the sport. nunes was a lot of "felice" or something which i think means fortune or luck. if only they were colonised by the spanish most of america would understand spanish in 20 years or so and it won't matter.

also jon jones is a legit sociopath. all that snorting he always does but he is a wizard at fightmath and pretending to find jesus good enough will do. his cyborg mention was touching, with all the pressure and genius and reward they show, god is nothing if not a solid touchstone. MMA is definitely bedrock of the soul where you see what humans are really made of.

also saw dana shilling the new fightpass or whatever showing lethwei with the thai fights. check out lethwei, it's muay thai with headbutts. youtube a lethwei headbutt compo or something.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jon Jones destroyed this man, he is basically stilt man the way he is walking, timestampped. (tried to walk)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I feel like Jones has a certain mystique at LHW. Anderson Silva-esque before Weidman came around. The thing that sucks about Anderson is he didn't go for the LHW title or a fight with GSP. I feel like Jones is in that same boat. The division is stagnant. Who is there to beat at LHW? Anthony Smith? That shit is lame man. Jones is too good to not fight at HW. He will always have his haters, but if he made the move up to HW some of those folks might walk it back a little.

• 1Committed
  • 1Dislike

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He failed a fucking drug test and the UFC moved the fight to California to get a friendlier athletic commission. The hate is completely justified.
he didn't fail a test, he was flagged.

it's the difference between an officer pulling your pony loving ass over, seeing you have a sprinkles mcshineshine or whatever floats your boat doll in the backseat and giving you a ticket,

vs. a cop that pulled over a cute girl and let her pass.

Right now, jones is a fucking busty blond cruisin in a convertible, ain't no way he gonna get a ticket, did ya'll see the mauling he gave gus after he mounted him and made him his bitch so easily, I swear i heard Thor cry.

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 4 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
It's driving me fucking crazy that Jones is riding this picogram bullshit as hard as he can. Even if we accept that the flag was due to his past use, he's talking as if some people just happen to have it in their system and it's not his fault. Motherfucker, you took the steroids originally; that's why it's there in the first place. Just shut your mouth and be happy they're somewhat letting you off the hook. Now he's talking about getting his test from the DC fight thrown out

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm glad Jones won the fight. Watching the first 2 rounds, I wasn't convinced he was going to. Hell, he was breathing hard after just the first round. Watching him, I was convincing myself that he's now past his prime and won't be performing how he used to. He's a damn good fighter, but the first two rounds were pretty bad, IMO.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What if Jones submitted to a daily test just so every day they could see where his levels are at. Some days they're like 20, other days they're 0, others they're 13... Would that help USADA in some way to learn additional science of what they are doing?
Oh, and I wouldn't want him to ever see the results of these daily tests. That way you could try something and see how it spikes your blood in real time. I just want USADA to learn from it.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like Jones has a certain mystique at LHW. Anderson Silva-esque before Weidman came around. The thing that sucks about Anderson is he didn't go for the LHW title or a fight with GSP. I feel like Jones is in that same boat. The division is stagnant. Who is there to beat at LHW? Anthony Smith? That shit is lame man. Jones is too good to not fight at HW. He will always have his haters, but if he made the move up to HW some of those folks might walk it back a little.

You forgot to say it's racism causing the hate for ole Bones.

• 2Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's driving me fucking crazy that Jones is riding this picogram bullshit as hard as he can. Even if we accept that the flag was due to his past use, he's talking as if some people just happen to have it in their system and it's not his fault. Motherfucker, you took the steroids originally; that's why it's there in the first place. Just shut your mouth and be happy they're somewhat letting you off the hook. Now he's talking about getting his test from the DC fight thrown out
at this point it's all it's about intent. Sure it's in his system, if you want to believe this "pulsing" theory on how drugs just reappear after months of use AND at a higher concentration, but it's still about intent, every lab or testing body is saying, "sure he's got shit in his system, however they believe it wasn't intentional and doesn't do shit".

he's had his reports reviewed by independent ppl AND he took a roid test and expedited VADA testing in order to get cali sanction.

• 1Dislike