MMA Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
How exactly is Ngannou winning over a perennial injury patient who was over hyped to begin with a wrench in DCs plans? Ngannou was absolutely embarassed by Stipe and Cormier handled him with no problem.

Cormier has not fought Ngannou. Ngannou's two losses are the aforementioned one to Stipe, and the snorefest loss to Black Beast. Cormier is smaller than Cain, I am unsure if he would be able to secure the TD on Ngannou.

Unless I am internet misreading it and you are stating that Cormier handled Stipe and not Ngannou.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Ngannou is an embarrassment at heavyweight. A retard that refuses to work on his garbage cardio, who's biggest weapon is the steamshovel upper cut.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

HW division is more bad than anything lately

-

Paul Felder suffered a collapsed lung during UFC on ESPN 1 fight, but it's fine. He has two.

-
‘Disappointed’ Daniel Cormier Vows to Beat Francis Ngannou in Potential Title Bout

“Every time we see something like that the emotions tell you go get it back. You go make it right,” Cormier admitted. “Francis Ngannou, he didn’t ask for a fight. Maybe later he will. And if that’s something that we decide what we want to do, that’s what I’ll do. I won’t go fight Francis Ngannou, I’ll go beat Francis Ngannou.”

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
How exactly is Ngannou winning over a perennial injury patient who was over hyped to begin with a wrench in DCs plans? Ngannou was absolutely embarassed by Stipe and Cormier handled Stipe with no problem.

DC wanted Cain to rise back to the top and they could politely hand off the belt –– he was extending his career, in part, to help his friend get his title. After that loss, Cain ain't sniffing a title anytime soon.

• 1Like

Goatface

HW is such a quagmire
wouldn't be surprised to see Cain, enter the rankings in the top 10
would guess 8th
then after Reem-Volkov, JDS-Lewis and if Blaydes looses to Willis
Cain could be back in the top 5......

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They need to just pay for the cure to hep C for Aleks Emelianenko and start legitimizing the division again.

Fans want to see the best hands. Aleks still has the hands. The UFC HW division does not have the best guys, Cheick Kongo is still top 5 in UFC. Many Bellator guys are also top 5-8 in UFC HW.

Aleks would knock most of the division out. The UFC HW division in 2019 is just so fake and boring now since the Bellator splintering and Aleks going wayward from disease/Felony convictions. You can't claim to be the best if you aren't fighting quality opponents.

Cain in the top 5 is evidence of that. The division sucks dick when you have to promote Bubba Lewis.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Cormier has not fought Ngannou. Ngannou's two losses are the aforementioned one to Stipe, and the snorefest loss to Black Beast. Cormier is smaller than Cain, I am unsure if he would be able to secure the TD on Ngannou.

Unless I am internet misreading it and you are stating that Cormier handled Stipe and not Ngannou.
you can directly attribute BOTH losses to Stipe, imo, Stipe fucked up the self confidence of Ngannu so hard core, he was just fucked.

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Ngannou has such obvious flaws and half of them just aren't fixable.

Anyone with a grappling background is going to try to do what Stipe did. Wear the guy out. Avoid his strikes. Win either by tap or points is guaranteed if you can go the distance.

Dude is young and raw and dangerous AF though. The fact he did 0 training leading up to the title fight vs Stipe is absurd, dude just flew off to France for vacation and didn't even attempt to put together a camp.

He could mature and improve his cardio, but he's qualifies as a less-than-neophyte in grappling and the very top guys will always use that against him. Dude has deadly power but it's hard to go on a run when that's all you've got, which is the nature of UFC HW these days aside from DC/Stipe.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
a bunch of people are claiming he hurt the knee (or showed it was already hurt) at the open workout
different angle than posted above.
should skip to 7:40ish
to me looks like the other knee gives a bit
That to me looks like his foot slips, not his knee giving out.

I still think his knee had nothing to do with him losing, it was him getting cracked by that uppercut

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Ngannou has such obvious flaws and half of them just aren't fixable.

Anyone with a grappling background is going to try to do what Stipe did. Wear the guy out. Avoid his strikes. Win either by tap or points is guaranteed if you can go the distance.

Dude is young and raw and dangerous AF though. The fact he did 0 training leading up to the title fight vs Stipe is absurd, dude just flew off to France for vacation and didn't even attempt to put together a camp.

He could mature and improve his cardio, but he's qualifies as a less-than-neophyte in grappling and the very top guys will always use that against him. Dude has deadly power but it's hard to go on a run when that's all you've got, which is the nature of UFC HW these days aside from DC/Stipe.
grapple?
giphy.gif

LastingTornHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

emlcr6uaokx11.gif

lulz Stipe make nganu tired by making him wiff and hit air.

then he took him down with ease
giphy.gif

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Oh right, a fight where they start on their feet featured some striking exchanges!

Stipe won that fight by lying on top of his opponent and mentally destroyed him. There were long periods of time where Ngannou didn't even try to move or defend, gasping so hard for air under the weight of Miocic's body weight unable and unwilling to give a fuck.

After Ngannou was mentally broken and physically taxed, Stipe went in for the kill with safe grappling moves. Francis can work on his cardio and mentally learn from these sorts of fights, but if he continues to be less than worthless in a grappling exchange that's going to be exploited by guys who have capable backgrounds (because let's be real, Stipe's wrestling credentials aren't setting the world on fire).

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats the problem with Rogans love affair with Ngannou. He swears he is the scariest MMA fighter of all time, just an X factor destroyer who is definetely championship material. I mean, the guy is talented, and physically gifted, there is no denying that, given how impressive he has been at times when you consider the short amount of time he has actually been a pro fighter.

I think thats part of the overall issue with Ngannou, is the lack of pedigree. Once he buckles down, and really starts to look at his UFC stay as a true journey to the title, a long term commitment that he believes will make him paid for life, he will maybe then start to round out his game and learn BJJ or grappling/wrestling.

His striking is phenomenal, but his cardio is not. Nevermind grappling or wrestling, if he doesnt have any endurance, it doesnt matter. Poor stamina will rob you of ALL of your ability, so he needs to work on his cardio and conditioning before anything else.

Goatface

think Ngannou was hurt by training at the UFC Performance Institute (Stipe and Lewis fights) and living in the hype

Goatface

i was close,
Cain re enters the ranking at #7
Ngannou jumps over Lewis for #2

also
JJones is at -1400 to -1600 over Smith +700 to +900

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those JJ's - Smith odds, seems about right.

Back when they announced it, I was wondering how the hell Smith got a title shot in the first place, then I looked at their LHW rankings. Talent is pretty thin right now.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Thats the problem with Rogans love affair with Ngannou. He swears he is the scariest MMA fighter of all time, just an X factor destroyer who is definetely championship material. I mean, the guy is talented, and physically gifted, there is no denying that, given how impressive he has been at times when you consider the short amount of time he has actually been a pro fighter.

I think thats part of the overall issue with Ngannou, is the lack of pedigree. Once he buckles down, and really starts to look at his UFC stay as a true journey to the title, a long term commitment that he believes will make him paid for life, he will maybe then start to round out his game and learn BJJ or grappling/wrestling.

His striking is phenomenal, but his cardio is not. Nevermind grappling or wrestling, if he doesnt have any endurance, it doesnt matter. Poor stamina will rob you of ALL of your ability, so he needs to work on his cardio and conditioning before anything else.

That's every "top" HW in the UFC except for the guys who've defended the title recently – Stipe and DC.

Any of the big brawlers at HW are good enough to win 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 in a row, but none have sustainable success because they're big fat dumb punchers. When a guy like DC or Stipe comes along, those dudes are suddenly facing someone who is faster than them, more skilled than them, and can put them in compromising positions that their limited limit striking ability. And that says nothing about the embarrassment JJ would bring upon any of these fake heavyweights on the UFC roster.

I would say the best heavyweights have left the UFC, but truth is there's a dearth of talent everywhere – hell, Chael nearly made it to the final of Bellator's HW Grand Prix, an old and overmatched Fedor lost in the final, and the winner of it all was a LHW.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea it's kind of a strange paradox, where in boxing, not only do you have an unprecedented amount of talent in the HW division right now, but overall, it has been the weight class that held the most glory and legend historically.

In MMA it's a kind of sideshow in a way, with Brock Lesnar having success in the UFC, to the hilarious Bob Sapp bullshit back in Pride, to LHW's effectively masquerading as HWs in the current era.

Jon Jones needs to just get swole, add on about 25 lbs of muscle, he would be 207-211 and JACKED, and fight at HW.

He would dominate IMO. I think Jones would shit on Ngannou.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
In MMA it's a kind of sideshow in a way, with Brock Lesnar having success in the UFC, to the hilarious Bob Sapp bullshit back in Pride, to LHW's effectively masquerading as HWs in the current era.
big nog v. sapp is one of the best hw fights, what are you on about?