MMA Thread

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't see the point of BKB. Gaping fucking wounds are not a requirement for my enjoyment of a fight.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its fucking retarded. It simply caters to the bloodlust crowd, or people who are obsessed with savagery and brutality.

There is SOME prestige to be had by being king of the bare knuckle scene, as no one is denying it takes a hard man to compete in that sport, nevermind be the best at it.

But those facial injuries are only cosmetic guys! Their faces will heal super easy, barely an inconvenience!

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Jozu Jozu
rafael-lovato-jr-gegard-mousasi-bellator-london-7.jpg

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
?

Not sure what your getting at? Lovato's face looks like he just finished a fist fight at all times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
wtf was that bullshit? paulie played keep away while Artem was trying to head hunt with obvious haymakers.

the problem with BKB is you have to be in dire straits to take it, no other promotions want you, and thats usually cuz you're a mma fighter, if you're a boxer doing BKB, you fucked up somewhere in your career.

Paulie doing BKB against artem was his only "in" on the Conor gravy train, i truly think that Paulie believes that Conor is ONLY so famous b/c of those "leaked" sparring sessions, and Conor has taken Paulies payday.

People downplay the explosion of interest in Conor as a result of the Malignaggi sessions. He sold that card.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That bare knuckle shit isnt going to last. The fighters are taking too much facial damage. And it seems as though guys just exclusively head hunt, for some reason the bare kuckle game doesnt lend itself to body punching.

Plenty of bodywork the other night. Maybe not by Artem-Naggi, but everyone else threw to the body often.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No.

If USADA had been bought off, no one would have popped, except the ones they wanted to pop. If they'd been bought off, would we have ever seen anything regarding JJ and PEDs?

Fuck no we wouldn't have. It never would have seen the light of day.

What people **SHOULD** be critical of USADA for, is 1) not publicly releasing their methodology, 2) not maintaining biological passports for athletes, and 3) implementing improved testing before they even know WTF their results really mean, or know how they're going to manage the fallout from said testing.

The entire pulsing thing isn't an excuse for JJ. It's more of a long-overdue admission on the part of USADA that they don't have ANY underlying science that would enable them to prove or disprove ANYTHING.

TL;DR: USADA isn't corrupt, they're inept. They're not creating a smokescreen for JJ, they're tapdancing around their own inability to explain their own fucking test results.

Their offices and the budget they are given by UFC is spent on the same floor that the UFC offices are on.

They essentially rent office space directly from UFC and are a subsidy of the UFC corporation itself.

Yikes.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Their offices and the budget they are given by UFC is spent on the same floor that the UFC offices are on.

They essentially rent office space directly from UFC and are a subsidy of the UFC corporation itself.

Yikes.
So what?

Dana and the Fertittas put a lot of time and effort into making the UFC a legit enterprise. Remember how shady the early UFC was? Look at it now.

USADA was part of that. If they'd have just ignored that stuff, they'd have looked like some sort of martial arts version of the WWE.

I don't think for a second that they went the USADA route out of the goodness of their hearts, or because it was the 'right thing to do'. They were fighting to make the UFC a legitimate brand, and that means at the very least making a token effort to combat PEDs, if not going after them hardcore.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't see the point of BKB. Gaping fucking wounds are not a requirement for my enjoyment of a fight.
It doesn't gross me out or anything, but it does make me wonder if we're just going to get to the point that we'll have seen enough and then realize why boxing developed the way that it did in the first place, and just let BKB fade away.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its your opinion that BKB is less traumatic than MMA. I think it is a fucking retarded thing to say, as there is absolutely no fucking basis for your "cosmetic" injury statement and how it pertains to brain damage. There are different kinds of lacerations and other facial injuries, but a fucking cut is a cut. It doesnt matter if the guy suffered a concussion or not, his face is still fucked up, it doesnt magically heal faster because of the way it was inflicted...LOL. There is a reason why fighters faces look awful after all of these fights, knuckles on face cause way more injury, and all they do is headhunt.

i didn't say it was less traumatic than mma, i said it was less traumatic than boxing, and it didn't say anything about lacerations healing quicker because of no gloves. please read better next time.

jozu said:
And if willpower was the "heartwood" of fighting, then scrubs would be champions. Its actually a variety of factors, most of all skill and conditioning. Then you have talent and THEN willpower. There are a ton of guys with unbelievable will power who never reach the height of their profession. Diego Sanchez comes to mind. No, it takes much more than willpower. And I would argue a combat sport like Muay Thai is more entertaining than BKB. MMA is most definitely more entertaining IMO. BKB is the backwater for guys who washed out of MMA and everyone knows it.

at the UFC the competitors are the pinnacle of the sport. obviously they ALL have skill, conditioning and talent enough to make it inside the octagon. the gap (outside a few freaks of nature like jon jones) between champs and also rans is often filled in by will. like whittaker surviving yoel with a busted hand, and a busted knee, and after getting rocked by a monster. or any of the "best mma comebacks" you can google. even askren getting smashed by robbie and struggling back is a good example i reckon. i love muay thai and lethwei as much as the next guy (headbutts ftw), but did you watch the artem vs knight bout? were you not entertained?

jozu said:
Its fucking retarded. It simply caters to the bloodlust crowd, or people who are obsessed with savagery and brutality.

i think i've heard this argument before. it was a long time ago about another combat sport ... i can't quite put my finger on it ... human cockfighting or something like that.

ameraves said:
This entire post is full of conjecture based on what you think fighting should be

well obviously.

ameraves said:
but I can't recall a single fighter that took as much damage as Rory in that fight, much less one that came back to win

yeah rory vs robbie is an extreme standout and is why its such a good example. the look on rorys face when he faces off with robbie at the start of round 4 is an amazing look at the human side of a fighter of that calibre. and then to just fall back and submit after giving and taking all that damage ... it was amazing to watch. tommy toe holds "why i love fighting" video covers it pretty well i reckon. and fair point on bkb going to the boxing thread, but mma covers a pretty broad combat sports brush.

erronius said:
it does make me wonder if we're just going to get to the point that we'll have seen enough and then realize why boxing developed the way that it did in the first place

that is an excellent point and the evolution will be interesting to watch. the commentators for bkb were also commenting on the quick evolution of the style because of the new ruleset. it took how many years for BJJ to be widely recognised as the dominant style? then how many more years for it to be countered? it seems wrestling is top of the style pile now in the UFC at least.

i reckon it will likely come full circle to the olden days, but i also see a trend towards more "extreme" combat sports moving forward, like the M1 Medieval comp or the group MMA bouts. like in the following bout, red tunic should reconsider his faceguard options as mail doesn't stop a bludgeon across the chops, and some of those shield ground and pounds are brutal.

Last edited:

Goatface

i really did think with the espn deal, ufc would be more serious with the rankings, but they make even less sense now
renato dropped from 5 to 9th
KZombie went from 12 to 6th
Yari moved from 11 to 7th

so from my thoughts that KZ might been done with a lost, to now he might be getting a title shot in a year or so lol

also speaking of not done, last year Aldo was talking about calling it, just signed 8 fight deal

also also, everyone's favorite trash talker colby, who was only going to fight for a title, agreed to fight Lawler in aug

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah rory vs robbie is an extreme standout and is why its such a good example. the look on rorys face when he faces off with robbie at the start of round 4 is an amazing look at the human side of a fighter of that calibre. and then to just fall back and submit after giving and taking all that damage

bitch, we just explained to you why that happened, he didn't just roll back and turtle up.

• 1Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
on one hand, i love seeing dom trying to make that come back

and no, just b/c super olympian michael phelps cups doesn't mean it works
phelps-080916.jpg

hopefully he comes back and squishes cejudo just like he squished DJ.

Goatface

HeavyweightFrancis Ngannouvs.Junior dos Santos
FlyweightJussier Formigavs.Joseph Benavidez
WelterweightDemian Maiavs.Anthony Rocco Martin
LightweightRoosevelt Robertsvs.Vinc Pichel
LightweightDrew Dobervs.Marco Polo Reyes
Light HeavyweightAlonzo Menifieldvs.Paul Craig

JDS can take the pain
Francis Ngannou -260
Junior Dos Santos +200

i like both, but think if JDS can make it into 2nd round he could win it

both prelims and maincard on espn this time. should be great for ratings

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Francis Ngannou -260
Junior Dos Santos +200

i like both, but think if JDS can make it into 2nd round he could win it

both prelims and maincard on espn this time. should be great for ratings
if ngannou beats JDS he better pray stipe loses to DC again for a title shot, cuz he's not gonna get ngannou vs. stipe 2