MMO Glitches / Sploits

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I figured I'd start a thread on this as MMO secrets / glitches and the like have always intrigued me.

In EQ1, you could kite the Priest of Discord with a mage pet and eventually kill him (he would one shot people back in the day). If you equipped his staff it would turn into a Fine Steel Mace when you zoned. So I could run around as a magician in leather looking armor, with a mace. It was kind of fun! I'm sure most of you already heard of that one, but it helped me discover another glitch when Kunark came out:

Back when Kunark hit, I remember seeing a level 4 Iksar in the Field of Bone starting zone with a top level mage pet at his command. He was leveling insanely fast but would not give up how he got it. Luckily I was in /anon and my mage was dressed up in leather and that same Fine Steel Mace, so I convinced the guy I was a cleric and could summon a fire pet, and would tell him how after he spilled the beans on his level 4 with the top level earth pet.

Turns out, there was a rare spider spawn in one of those underground areas. I'm not sure if a dev did it on purpose or not, but it had a proc and the SpellID was off. Instead of a poison proc it would proc an earth pet which would be under your control. Such an odd glitch. So I tested it out, and was able to level my Iksar alt to at least my 30s in that starting zone (there were high level mobs in underwater caves if I remember right).

Another glitch I found was when mage pets would bug out if you gave them +HP weapons and zoned when they were almost dead. They'd wait at zone lines and aggro anyone or anything. I parked a few Earth pets in SOL-B dungeon just to mess with people. They'd zone out with 5% health saying "Be quick, he roots!" lol... I was such a bastard in EQ sometimes.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I had a version of the Velketor's lab zonefile which had an invisible wall near the entrance of the zone which led straight to Velk's room. I made that file read only so the patcher couldn't patch it. Made it easy for me to pull Velk to the entrance of the zone, which came in handy once. A guildy raged over loot, stole our guildbank and left. A week later I found him dual boxing in Velk's lab, so I trained Velk onto him with my monk. For extra giggles Velk bugged out and got stuck at the zoneline which made the zone unusable and the ex guildie's corpses irretrievable until the next day when a GM arrived to reset him.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know if you consider this an exploit but I've used death in World of Warcraft plenty of times to finish quests faster, especially when the quest objective is in a tower.
Say you need to loot an item in a tower somewhere in the world. You simply just run pass all the hostile NPCs and die just at the tower. Go back as ghost and walk up in the tower near the object and respawn there. I am sure this was pretty common practice and hardly an exploit but there it is.
tongue.png

EverQuest; High Hold Keep. Bugged Room.
There was a bugged room in HHK where if you stand at the right spot the NPCs can't reach you. You pull Red Cons and go to that spot and DOT the crap out of the NPC and watch them die with zero risk. (There's also a bugged spot in Paludal Cavern? in Luclin).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The triplet bug bosses in AQ40 were bugged when you tamed them at level 80 so you could use them to solo anything in the game.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That sounds awesome... Is it fixed?
biggrin.png
Couple expansions ago. Was hilariously fun.

You would just put them on a boss and keep them taunting and go FD in a corner where the boss couldn't do anything to you. Come back in a few hours to loot.

It was inefficient but neat.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
An old one I remember from SWG. I think it was a planet named Dathomir (might be another ) , but one of the higher levels ones, you could go hide inside essentially these hollow trees and high level mobs wouldn't be able to hit you but you could them.

As long as you could manage the aggro to get there alive you'd powerlevel through getting your skills up very quickly.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
In Anarchy Online the soldier class had this damage shield. It was like 75% reflect at a certain level. We would get teams of soldiers to pull these mobs that were way too high level in this small town. There was a zone door there and you would dance in and out just getting your shield smashed on and made insane XP.

Was a lot of fun.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
swtor, there was a quest where you have to collect some stuff around a house around the middle of Tatooine. Bonus quest was to kill the raiders while you were there, if you completed teh bonus then abandoned the quest and had a friend share it with you, it would reset the bonus quest. Could jump from level 22 to level 35 doing the bonus quest. my guild had the first 9 50s on the server because of this.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
swtor, there was a quest where you have to collect some stuff around a house around the middle of Tatooine. Bonus quest was to kill the raiders while you were there, if you completed teh bonus then abandoned the quest and had a friend share it with you, it would reset the bonus quest. Could jump from level 22 to level 35 doing the bonus quest. my guild had the first 9 50s on the server because of this.
There was a raid in SW:TOR in the Hutt's palace where you killed some dudes and a chest spawned. You could then leave and enter and the chest would be refilled with loot. Rinse repeat forever. You could even beat it on normal and change the difficulty to nightmare afterwards and get the higher level loot. You were even able to split into two man teams and zone in and out forever.

That was a buggy game.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I did something similar in Vanguard with the starter gnome quest. Each time you collected one of the objects of the quest it gave you XP. So I'd just abandon the quest when I got close to the number required, got the quest back from the giver and did it again. Wasn't exactly the biggest deal but you could get from 1-5 (or 7?) in only about 15 minutes.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
An old one I remember from SWG. I think it was a planet named Dathomir (might be another ) , but one of the higher levels ones, you could go hide inside essentially these hollow trees and high level mobs wouldn't be able to hit you but you could them.

As long as you could manage the aggro to get there alive you'd powerlevel through getting your skills up very quickly.
There were tons in that game, when they released the geno labs you could glitch through the barrier and kill the Acklay before it was released it dropped inverted crafting materials (min damage was higher than max) that you could use to make seriously broken OP weapons specifically stun batons for the fencer job. This let you build a dodge machine that hit like a truck. I had some good times in galaxies.

Also, you could triple slice weapons and armor also creating more broken op items.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
macroquest am i right? good times.

Serious though Asherons call 2 is the only game I exploited the fuck out of and it was awesome. Lugian Juggernaut could throw a weapon for a huge % of mobs max health allowing me to solo raid mobs, that was hot fixed pretty quick but I still got rich. Once you hit level 16 or so you could do a repeatable quest with a little help from a 20+ that gave you 80K XP which was like 4 levels per turn in up to 25 but would get you to 32 or so in an hour tops. That one was so bad they rolled the servers back but they didn't fix it! Took them another week to fix it and this time they just marked players that did the quest and took away all XP gains for just those guys. Another Lugian exploit was the skill the life leech would hit for quadruple if you were already full health, in PvP that meant you one shotted pretty much everyone. Again took them weeks if not a month to fix that one.

Everyone did this, if you dropped any item on the ground and then picked it up right as you summoned your uber fast 1 time use mount it wouldn't consume it.

To this day Asherons Call 2 remains to be one of my favorite MMO's for PvP and PvE because the classes were just so wonky. Lugian could throw flaming bowling balls 300 meters to hit you, the Hive keeper threw a clump of wasps at you half way across the map, human rangers and their insane AOE super long range burst damage(I killed entire camps of people). Hell I think every class had something so broken it was fun.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
In UO there were these 4 barrel containers locked down on a dock in vesper. However, if you sailed a boat as far forward as possible it went a little underneath the dock and now treated the barrels as if they were on your boat so you could pick them up and they respawned daily. I made enough gold selling them to buy a large tower deed and when I quit UO I sold that large tower for $500 on e-bay.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Aggro ticks in everquest. Only time we ever really used it was Rather Council. Throw a shuriken, feign. For 5-6 seconds you could have a secondary tagger hit the same council member and only he would pull. After the 5-6 seconds went by the rest of the council aggrod. 3 man team made splitting those fuckers so easy.

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll throw in a few.. for EQ

Port someone and create a character with their name to steal all their items.
Put no drop items in a bag, edit no drop off and drop them.
Edit a skill button to cast ykesha proc instead of the /action.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
The Hermit in South Karana would not come out of his house and spawned really fast at about 6 minutes, thereby allowing you to solo kill him with spells starting at lvl 16 until 27. My enchanter named Mystidia caught Qhue in levels using this sploit!

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Aggro ticks in everquest. Only time we ever really used it was Rather Council. Throw a shuriken, feign. For 5-6 seconds you could have a secondary tagger hit the same council member and only he would pull. After the 5-6 seconds went by the rest of the council aggrod. 3 man team made splitting those fuckers so easy.
The "Aggro Tick" was caused because the original EQ devs couldn't make mobs nativly social. So, they gave the mobs an ability to call for help, basically. This ability would go down on use, and come up with each server tick. So, you could wonk it up by toss-feign-toss on either side of a server tick. However, make sure you were never full health and it was simple to watch the ticks to do it effectively. I pulled with this method from level 16 in original all the way through PoP. I always called it yanking. It was entirely possible to do it solo; Throw a Shurrken, drop EXACTLY as it hits and burns the mob's ability. All mobs insta-wipe aggro if you didn't get a roamer because they're on their spawn point. stand and throw another..