MMO hardware optimizations (Or lack thereof)

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You said business people..those that makr pc just for gaming which is your normal 100 lbs casket pc is not going anywhere that market was always small and very lucrative for the intels, amd, nvidia of the world..but until heavy lifting is done some where else they well always be people like me that well stuff 3 gpus extreme cpus on 400 dollar Mobos as its that segment that pays for all the r and d without it your business man that wouldnt know what the fuck he is looking at if showed him the inside of my case would still be on p3 cpu.

So you better hope that highend market doesnt go away or back to new cpu's and gpus once a decade.

Now these rigs are not mainstream and very rare to the unwashed but if I listed my specs people on this forum wouldnt Bat an eye..Your business peeps are fine playing angry birds thats were that market It is at.

Sli/crossfire is more driver issue then program issue. For cpus once quads which are in 90 percent of the shit you get at best buy get circulation into the unwashed market you well see more multi thread games but there still a shit load of people on xp. Running p3 but iam seeing less of them now then before.

I don't know a bout the rest but once you played on eyefinity system or 2560 x. 1600. 30" ips motinor its hard playing on anything else

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Oh yes, please let us all use phones, tablets and integrated graphics cards, so we can play flashgames from 10 years ago, AGAIN AND FOREVER. BUT OH BOY IS THE FUTURE MOBILE!

I seriously hate this bullshit. If you're not interested in video games, then don't play them. Get another hobby, or talk to a person instead of hunching over your fucking phone, giggling away at how incredible and advanced angry birds is because you can play it while taking a shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
PC gaming has always and always will be about using the latest and greatest technology. If I didn't give a shit about that I would play a console game or a mobile game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, they have been saying that the PC gaming is dying for decades now and it still has not met its death. In fact PC game sales have been up recently. The thing that sucks for PC gaming now is that its run entirely by the consoles and their ports. Save maybe a few titles here and there that are PC exclusive or designed for the PC and then ported to the consoles.

So hopefully when the new batch of consoles hits either this year or next, we will start to see more of the shiny once again on our PC games.

You said business people..those that makr pc just for gaming which is your normal 100 lbs casket pc is not going anywhere that market was always small and very lucrative for the intels, amd, nvidia of the world..but until heavy lifting is done some where else they well always be people like me that well stuff 3 gpus extreme cpus on 400 dollar Mobos as its that segment that pays for all the r and d without it your business man that wouldnt know what the fuck he is looking at if showed him the inside of my case would still be on p3 cpu.
Dont be too sure of this, bro. if you read about Intells road map, it seems after Haswell, they are going away from socketed CPUs and they will start to hard mount CPU to motherboards, which will kill off some of the upgradeability in PC's. And if you follow any of this shit, you will see that Intell and AMD have been focusing more and more on the laptop/mobile markets because, well, thats where the future is. Both AMD and Intell have been focusing on integrated graphics and power consumption instead of clock speeds or per core performance.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/3...pu-socket.aspx

K13R

LOL, they have been saying that the PC gaming is dying for decades now and it still has not met its death. In fact PC game sales have been up recently. The thing that sucks for PC gaming now is that its run entirely by the consoles and their ports. Save maybe a few titles here and there that are PC exclusive or designed for the PC and then ported to the consoles.

So hopefully when the new batch of consoles hits either this year or next, we will start to see more of the shiny once again on our PC games.

Dont be too sure of this, bro. if you read about Intells road map, it seems after Haswell, they are going away from socketed CPUs and they will start to hard mount CPU to motherboards, which will kill off some of the upgradeability in PC's. And if you follow any of this shit, you will see that Intell and AMD have been focusing more and more on the laptop/mobile markets because, well, thats where the future is. Both AMD and Intell have been focusing on integrated graphics and power consumption instead of clock speeds or per core performance.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/3...pu-socket.aspx
The funny thing is the last upgradable socket was the 775 amd2 im still running a 990x on the 1366 Platform upgrade option would require me to drop the mobo that I currently use Asus Rog which is 4 bills everytime I change it out. (But this was no different prior to the 775 amd2 where sockets changed every year)

I see mainstream going that why but I alittle shocked to see intel amd killing off the high end mobo segment. (which basically all of. It comes from foxconn in china shit all reference boards come from there).

Huge downside would be to sell rogs with extremes so when you burn up a proc or a mobo you need to buy all of it again nice double dip.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
Oh yes, please let us all use phones, tablets and integrated graphics cards, so we can play flashgames from 10 years ago, AGAIN AND FOREVER. BUT OH BOY IS THE FUTURE MOBILE!

I seriously hate this bullshit. If you're not interested in video games, then don't play them. Get another hobby, or talk to a person instead of hunching over your fucking phone, giggling away at how incredible and advanced angry birds is because you can play it while taking a shit.
Mobile does not mean phones and phone OSes. Mobile can be an ultra portable PC. PC gaming is not going anywhere, but it's changing. Just 10 years ago the only way to game was on a 100lb casket. Now you can game on an ultrabook if you had to and a fully loaded 17" gaming laptop can run anything on ultra high settings.. Haswell will make the ultrabook even more viable. Even more so once they evolve from silicone based chips which isn't that far away. People want to game on PCs and the PC industry will optimize games for the type of hardware people are moving towards. Which are ultrabooks and tablets whether you like it or not. And im not talking about some crappy android tablet playing angry birds. Won't be long until you can play high detail new PC games on a tablet no problem.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
The funny thing is the last upgradable socket was the 775 amd2 im still running a 990x on the 1366 Platform upgrade option would require me to drop the mobo that I currently use Asus Rog which is 4 bills everytime I change it out. (But this was no different prior to the 775 amd2 where sockets changed every year)

I see mainstream going that why but I alittle shocked to see intel amd killing off the high end mobo segment. (which basically all of. It comes from foxconn in china shit all reference boards come from there).

Huge downside would be to sell rogs with extremes so when you burn up a proc or a mobo you need to buy all of it again nice double dip.
Its not something I like but we're headed to a full SOC with board/ ram/ storage / CPU and GPU in one until that cannot be upgraded. One thing fucks up the entire thing is in the trash and you need a new one. Pretty much triple dip because every system you buy will end up requiring that $400 3 year warranty on it. Wont be long now when intel's offerings consist of "Computer 1, Computer 2 or Computer 3"

Well I imagine with the next-gen consoles being the new lowest common denominator, and 8-core CPU's being the norm, developers will finally be forced to learn how to properly code (yes it is hard) multi-threaded applications instead of relying on high IPC.

The PS4 (and most likely also the NextBOX) being basically a PC architecture is going to be a great thing for PC gaming in general, and even MMOs in particular.

K13R

Yeah alot of markets get killed off by weilding sockets to mobos a lot of high end markets..until we get to quantum level I don't for see tablets or labtops beating desktop for gaming..gpu are not a foot long just cause I got 1000 Watt psu it takes to run my rig and I don't have lot of wiggle room.. Let me know when a laptop is able to out bench 3 x 6970 gpu a 990x and hold 4 hard drives with 2560 x 1600 res and pump out 7.1 channel sound.

Yes there big difference my bother law is consle gamer came over I loaded up mw3 and cyris2 for him all he could say was holy fucking shit this is how to game.

Just like there difference between 200 hr call girls and 600 hr call girls. There the same difference between laptop console and a real gaming machine

On a side note I bet amd would love if intel went to all bga. Cause the performance market brings in dough.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have Intel's roadmap here at work, can't say what they're doing but they aren't killing off cpu sockets

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Has nothing to do with food stamps. Haswell is going to boost ultrabook sales as well as ultrabook-tablets like the Surface Pro or Razer Edge. Lots of business people that want a portable solution are not going to pack a 100lb water cooled desktop casket. Those days are over. Me and lot of my friends are dumping a closet full of electronics (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, tablet, etc) and moving into a single solution set-up. The future is small and portable EVEN for gaming. It will be advantageous for gaming companies to cater to those that use the latest technology when it comes to portable solutions (haswell). The days of people buying desktops or desktops dedicated to gaming are over. Maxwell could be the greatest thing ever but nobody I know gives a crap anymore about a 1? long video card weighing 10lbs in a 100lb system.
Yeah, I dont think so. People been saying this shit for decades now and PC market is still strong. You are not going to do any serious gaming on an ultrabook for a loooong fucking time. Haswell will definitely not get you there. And playing games on my 7" tablet? No thanks who the fuck would want to do this? Id rather play my xbox and my 60 screen at least. As for business people and tablets? Yeah, dont think so either. ever try and do a spreadsheet on a tablet? Yeah, no thanks. As for what I do daily on a computer, high end engineering cad/FEA I still need a $4000 casket.

You are right, shit is getting smaller and will continue to do so. But these markets are not dying off anytime soon. People dont want to play games on shitty 15" 17" and 10" lapwarmer displays. Thats for the poor college kids. I want my lounge chair with my 3X 27" pumping out at 2560x1440 and still getting 60fps.

The future of gaming...
rrr_img_15642.jpg

not..
rrr_img_15643.jpg

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
You are right, shit is getting smaller and will continue to do so. But these markets are not dying off anytime soon. People dont want to play games on shitty 15" 17" and 10" lapwarmer displays. Thats for the poor college kids. I want my lounge chair with my 3X 27" pumping out at 2560x1440 and still getting 60fps.
Who said anything about gaming using the tablet screen? The tablet is just a small formfactor. While at home how hard is it to hdmi or widi to your TV and use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard? While you may need a cad rig, Intel is not going to expand its business catering to people like you. You can always get more powerful the larger you make something. Supercomputers are more powerful than your casket and much larger. You can always go bigger and more powerful. The average person does no need this though and is not going to bother with it. Even the average PC gamer. It was maybe 5 years ago people were laughing at PC gamers saying you can game just fine on a laptop. Wont be long until you can game just fine on your ultrabook, and its just a matter of time when your smarphone will be able to run any piece of software the average person needs and it will just auto widi to your 80" OLED screen back in your 150sqft Manhattan apartment the moment you open your front door. You guys and your caskets are dinosaurs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who said anything about gaming using the tablet screen? The tablet is just a small formfactor. While at home how hard is it to hdmi or widi to your TV and use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard? While you may need a cad rig, Intel is not going to expand its business catering to people like you. You can always get more powerful the larger you make something. Supercomputers are more powerful than your casket and much larger. You can always go bigger and more powerful. The average person does no need this though and is not going to bother with it. Even the average PC gamer. It was maybe 5 years ago people were laughing at PC gamers saying you can game just fine on a laptop. Wont be long until you can game just fine on your ultrabook, and its just a matter of time when your smarphone will be able to run any piece of software the average person needs and it will just auto widi to your 80" OLED screen back in your 150sqft Manhattan apartment the moment you open your front door. You guys and your caskets are dinosaurs.
LOL see you in 20 yrs then.

K13R

LOL see you in 20 yrs then.
I still find its funny that he thinks its acceptable to game on laptop that shit is unacceptable to me...

Somd time I roll on support forums for games and there always number of douche bags complaining they either cant get the game to work or is unplayable. A large portion of them are using a laptop

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Mobile does not mean phones and phone OSes. Mobile can be an ultra portable PC. PC gaming is not going anywhere, but it's changing. Just 10 years ago the only way to game was on a 100lb casket. Now you can game on an ultrabook if you had to and a fully loaded 17" gaming laptop can run anything on ultra high settings.. Haswell will make the ultrabook even more viable. Even more so once they evolve from silicone based chips which isn't that far away. People want to game on PCs and the PC industry will optimize games for the type of hardware people are moving towards. Which are ultrabooks and tablets whether you like it or not. And im not talking about some crappy android tablet playing angry birds. Won't be long until you can play high detail new PC games on a tablet no problem.
You have no idea what you're babbling about. It's great that you have an opinion. It's sad that you think your opinion is driving the future of pc gaming. Yeah, sure, portable gaming is great. Tech is always heading in that direction, smaller, faster, mobile, etc. But, desktop PC's ain't goin nowhere. Gaming on a tablet is fine, but do they make 24'+ screen tablets? And if they did, why the fuck would I want to carry one around? Also, you and your fucking "caskets". WTF? Neither I, nor any gamer I have known, have ever owned a PC what weighed 100 fucking pounds. (fuck, most geeks I know couldn't even lift 100 pounds) Even including the monitor and peripherals. There are some cases that you can get that are kinda thick and and heavy, but in most, the heaviest component is the power supply. And it's not like I'm carrying the motherfucking thing around anyway. I like my box, I like sitting in my comfy chair at my desk with my sweet mouse. And there's plenty more just like me. Mobile gaming is a great option, it will never be the only option.

And even if Intel was to actually stop selling CPUs seperate from motherboards, so what? Nearly every time I've upgraded my processor recently, I've had to buy a new mobo anyway.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Waht he is saying might be true, but it sure is not going to be in the next foreseeable future. Getting your iphone 10 to display Crysis 10 on a 180" in OLED screen by wi fi or bluetooth is science fiction right now.