MMO hardware optimizations (Or lack thereof)

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Waht he is saying might be true, but it sure is not going to be in the next foreseeable future. Getting your iphone 10 to display Crysis 10 on a 180" in OLED screen by wi fi or bluetooth is science fiction right now.
Cpu is one part gpu is the largest part..if you wonder intels best laid plans I give you larabee howd that shit work.

As its gaming that moves the gpu market shit crysis sold more gpus then it sold boxes

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still find its funny that he thinks its acceptable to game on laptop that shit is unacceptable to me...

Somd time I roll on support forums for games and there always number of douche bags complaining they either cant get the game to work or is unplayable. A large portion of them are using a laptop
What's so unacceptable to you?

I game mainly on my laptop and can handle most games very well. It is heavy as fuck but I don't care. I enjoy playing games on my couch and not being confined to a desk.

K13R

What's so unacceptable to you?

I game mainly on my laptop and can handle most games very well. It is heavy as fuck but I don't care. I enjoy playing games on my couch and not being confined to a desk.
rrr_img_15645.jpg
That's why haven't seen a laptop with rez greater then 1080p. once you play at 2560 x 1600 or 5760 x 1080p eyefinity system a little 17" screen isn't going to cut it. At this point its not about performance I would go spend 5k on gaming laptophttp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410645,00.aspand can get close to what a sli system on desk top benches but the production value/experience is far lesser. I never been to a Park and said you know what would be bad ass if I could play a game sitting on that fucking bench so mobile has no appeal to me.

Think of it like this a Ford Focus gets where you need to go but an M5 BMW gets you there also but a much more pleasurable driving experience.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
If you get a "real" gaming laptop you can chose between being able to cook your lunch on them, enjoy your fans making an effort in trying to mimic a launching jetfighter, or you get both. None of that is very appealing to me.

On top of that, a laptop is less forgiving when you need to replace hardware, they tend to be more expensive and what's the point really? Playing games from your couch? What games do you play on a laptop where you can properly use a mouse and keyboard while you slouch about?
So if you don't play while sitting on the couch, you don't really need a laptop. And unless you're constantly traveling all the damn time, you will hardly make use of the mobile aspect.

In any case, you can put all the hardware in the world in a mobile device, but none of that will change how it's utilized. What do you play in your coffee-break or while you're waiting for the bus? Do you slap out your ultrabook and fire up your current mmo, or do you play a flashgame to waste a couple of minutes?

A videogame is something you play in your sparetime, in most cases you're at home because you're not working or whatever. And if you're at home, you don't need a mobile solution.

I mean, i honestly don't care if you feel like you really need it, it's your money and your decision. But i'm highly sceptical about ultrabooks/laptops replacing the desktop anytime soon.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I travel a lot and game on campus in between classes if I have time. I also have a powerful desktop.

I don't use an ultrabook, I use an Asus G-series. My desktop still blows it away, but I can't complain when I'm at school and I can roll out basically any game I want wherever I want. Also, playing with a mouse on a couch is pretty easy. Sometimes I play in bed if I'm lazy.

Not saying laptops or mobiles will replace the desktop, I just didn't understand what the seething rage about a laptop being unacceptable.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Laptop or desktop is fine for gaming as long as dedicated video cards remain the standard and not integrated graphics. Plain and simple, you can't expect to game without the proper hardware. Anyone expecting devs to cater gaming to any platform with no dedicated graphics ability is fooling themselves.

Blackwulf

N00b
I play a bit of DDO while I wait for new MMOs to try. I recently rebuilt my gaming box and have 2x GTX 670 graphics cards. I know DDO is a bit of an old game, but they have updated their graphics from time to time and have high res downloads and DX11 support. I was surprised that there was no SLI support at all. I hated seeing one of my cards getting nice and warm while the other sat Idle.

K13R

I play a bit of DDO while I wait for new MMOs to try. I recently rebuilt my gaming box and have 2x GTX 670 graphics cards. I know DDO is a bit of an old game, but they have updated their graphics from time to time and have high res downloads and DX11 support. I was surprised that there was no SLI support at all. I hated seeing one of my cards getting nice and warm while the other sat Idle.
I haven't played DDO but I know the feeling as I got Trifire system and some games I get negative scaling on all the time like Crysis 2 where I have to shut off my middle card. Mostly it's a driver issue an example was SWTOR used all 3 cards they did an update and now I get negative scaling and I don't know if ATI fixed it as I haven't been back for while TSW is another game where I have to shut off my 3 rd card.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
PC gaming has always and always will be about using the latest and greatest technology. If I didn't give a shit about that I would play a console game or a mobile game.
You're all missing the point. Of course there's huge money to be made with the latest and greatest.My pointwas that the accessibility (any pc/laptop can run it) of WoW has done a lot for it's staying power and the number of people who play it.

I played WoW for 2 years on a brand new laptop with an integrated graphics card. If it had been any other MMO, that would've been 2 years of subscription fees they never saw.

So, the difference, in my case was $360. They're making huge money off of accessibility.