MMORPG vs RPG?

Cybsled

EQ1 let me literally fall asleep while pulling flurry drakes in NToV, then I woke up hours later surrounded by various corpses and the raid gone. Witcher 3 didn’t have that!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
N naranja - Not talking shit, but did you actually reach level cap DURING any expansion? If so, like.. what class? Lets get some credentials here cause after attempting to read the walls of texts you've spewed out, it does not sound like you actually partook in EQ to the degree that many of us did. EQ is great and all, but c'mon...

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
EQ dev team relied on level 36 Paladins posting in Allakhazam comments to balance their game. So not hitting level cap or raiding actually makes you a better judge of EverQuest.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
All this shit is moot anyway since any modern game made as a spiritual successor to EQ will never be EQ. It will be a modern take on it which will be far from what EQ ever was. Shit even Pantheon when it releases in 2030 will not be the same thing.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
N naranja - Not talking shit, but did you actually reach level cap DURING any expansion? If so, like.. what class? Lets get some credentials here cause after attempting to read the walls of texts you've spewed out, it does not sound like you actually partook in EQ to the degree that many of us did. EQ is great and all, but c'mon...
"I had a 57 cleric and did the Lord Grimrot quest. It was crazy. Loved those old times"

LoL, this is how you're painting this one.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I don't hate on EQ as much as other people here do. It was far from perfect, but it's also the reason most of us are still on this site, 20 some years later. I do think it's odd (and I've stated this before) that in 1999, we had like 14 starting classes, 12 starting races, and 13 starting cities, and I don't think any modern game has come close to having that many options. EQ also got loot correct, in that a lot of the items that really improved your ability to play were really highly sought after and difficult to obtain (fungi tunic, mana stone, FBSS, Cloak of Flames, etc...) and made them that much more memorable. Pretty cool that even all of these years later, I can still rattle off like 100 items that dropped in that game, even ones that didn't help my specific class. The dungeons were also very well designed, albeit they definitely could've used more to spread out the population. Seb, LGuk, KC, Solb, there just needed to be a few more dungeons per level group.

Anyway, as someone who played a Wizard as my main, I can definitely attest that the game was not very well optimized whatsoever. Most casters who weren't Clerics or Enchanters sucked ass in a group, as we'd have to sit and med again after 6 or 7 casts, and it was even more fun when half of those spells were resisted. Yay! I did 400 total damage!

All that being said, if another MMO came out that was more EQ than WoW, I'd definitely play it. I don't have 18 hours a day anymore to sink into a game like that, but man would it be fun to get that engrossed in a MMO again. And it's not just rose colored glasses, I liked a lot of what EQ did right, even if you had to wade through some of the shit to get to the flowers.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Two things I never thought I'd see in a sentence. EQ Balanced.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user