MMORPG vs RPG?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, combat, especially for the melee, was lame as hell in EQ. Casters had a bit more fun with all their tools and such. Healers became essentially heal bots. Especially later on when the 3-6 box meta became a thing.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I literally did not read through the wall of text, so my response is probably not on the mark lol. That being said, I am responding to the thread title of MMORPG vs RPG.

Here a number of years back, I discovered GOG.com... Good Ole Games. It's a service like Steam except it deals mostly with older games. The cool thing is that it packages them with built in emulation, so they run with on your modern OS with out having to fiddle with too much, but I am getting off topic...

The point is, I have bought quite a few old (really old) games on GoG that I did not play through back in the day (or didn't finish), and have had a lot of fun with them. It's amazing how fun some of these older RPGs can be even though the graphics are insanely outdated and there is some serious lacking in quality of life compared to modern RPGs.

As for MMORPGs, I haven't been that impressed with many of them over the years. EverQuest was my second (Ultima Online was technically my first for all of 1 week), so I pretty much based ever MMORPG experience against it from 2000 onward. That probably lead me to not like most of them just based on the fact that they were not EverQuest with a different theme I'm sure.

Some stand outs I liked in the MMORPG genre are:
  • EverQuest
  • Starwars The Old Republic
  • Final Fantasy XIV
Honorable mentions go out to:
  • EverQuest 2 - Not at release. It sucked at release, and it got decent MANY years after initial release
  • World of Warcraft - Original only. I did not like any of the expansions
  • Path of Exile - I have trouble thinking of this game as a MMORPG honestly... it feels more like an Action RPG that you just happen to play online
  • New World - This is a really fun game for about one month
I could be forgetting one or two that I liked, but for the most part, out of the hundreds of MMORPGs I have tried over the past two decades, I can count the ones I liked and remembered liking on one hand.

The MMORPG genre just hasn't had a high success rate in my opinion.
Tabula Rasa looked like it was going to have some legs until the whole dramatic implosion.

Fucker

Log Wizard
So why not just play EQ then? Like every year they have a new prog server coming online. They have the old school servers with like 35 expansions, plus the myriad of emulated servers that range from anything thats classic to custom with curated custom content.

You also have the vanguard emulated server thats running in alpha state. And maybe Pantheon that will release this century? Go and donate to that cause if you want more games like this.
2022 and we still don't have EQ in a browser.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think RPG was getting very good in 90s with games like Might & Magic 5/6/etc. But then EQ made big leap ahead and became better than all RPG.
Whow whow whow.
vault.jpg

Also, why are you referencing Skyrim as a modern RPG? Did you know, Skyrim's release date is almost closer to EQ's release date than it is to today?

If I ignore most of what you said, I do think that the market is ripe for a well-dome MMO where the world is dangerous enough to force players to group to do anything and doesn't provide the kind of tools to let the game handle the grouping / loot for you, which would kinda go at what you want. I wouldn't play it myself though, maybe when my kids move out of my house in 18 years???

So why not just play EQ then? Like every year they have a new prog server coming online. They have the old school servers with like 35 expansions, plus the myriad of emulated servers that range from anything thats classic to custom with curated custom content.

You also have the vanguard emulated server thats running in alpha state. And maybe Pantheon that will release this century? Go and donate to that cause if you want more games like this.
I still play EQ sometimes it was a masterpiece. But my point is that games are constantly stealing each others successes and ideas and cloning each other and competing with each other. But MMORPGs are like forgotten history and too many lessons are being lost that RPGs today should have learned well. Dragon Age Inquisition got a lot of hate for being like a single player MMORPG, and yet it didn't even contain any of things that I think made EQ special. Not many people seem to understand classic EQ and where it fits in with WoW and other big MMOs. To me it is like becoming an architect and ignoring every bridge that was ever made, or starting a rock band and ignoring stuff from the 60s. There is so much to learn from these classic games but it is being forgotten. People mock WoW but when I get some new RPG and there is a Druid that can't shapeshift or a Necromancer that has pets you can't control, I think that is a problem with gaming devs.

The big RPG on peoples minds now is Baldurs Gate 3 and even that is tiny and basic compared to MMOs from 20 years ago. That's not right. These Elder Scrolls games are overhyped as hell too. I played Morrowind after EQ and it felt like a shittier single player version of EQ with a fraction of the content. If the series grew since then it could be great, but instead they have stripped more from the game with each sequel. Now Skyrim is barely even RPG, more like an FPS with an inventory. The list of cool stuff they removed is huge. I think if everyone played classic EQ, Skyrim would have sold about 2 copies instead of 22 million.

This is as far as i needed to read. I played a cleric from Kunark to GoD. I can tell you for absolute certainty that if the most fun you had in the game was staring at the floor hitting a single macro button for 10-20 minutes then you need a new hobby.
Well for a start there was about a year of fun classic EQ before CH was even a thing. So I don't respect your drama queen rewriting of history. Also CH chains didn't exist to soloers and groupers, it was just a raid thing. Also most of what people did in EQ was emergent gameplay. They never designed quad kiting, fear kiting, aggro kiting, feign death splitting, or lots of things that made up the bulk of the gameplay. That's because it was an amazing sandbox game where people could figure out new ways to play. If you don't like CH don't play a cleric! It was the only class that even had to know what CH was.

You can find it boring but don't pretend it was broken unbalanced game because it wasn't.

I think the term "RPG" has become very diluted in recent years. Old AD&D based games were all class based, where each character had a distinct niche, and could have their own personality that fit that niche. The only way to translate this to a single player computer game was to have the player control a party of characters.

I think the Witcher and Skyrim are closer to what used to be called Adventure games, where the gameplay centers around exploring the world and solving a main quest. It has RPG elements but it's not really locking the player down in the limits of a class like old RPGs did.

EQ definitely tried to do it like the RPGs of old, but with each player only having one class to control obviously. I think that's what some people liked about CH chains, it was at least uniquely defining to the class fantasy of playing a cleric: your character was there to heal and no one could do it as well, and the chain nature of it made it a team effort. I don't think it resulted in interesting gameplay but that's true for most classes in early EQ during raids. Rogues just stand there and press backstab every few seconds. WoW advanced the genre here with more active gameplay for all classes during raids.
I agree, I don't even think of Skyrim and Witcher or the nu-Fallouts as RPGs. And any RPG goodness they had in earlier versions is being removed. Yet so many people today think Skyrim is the pinnacle of RPGs. The best RPG. The one to beat. The biggest selling etc. Or the newcomer hipsters say DoS2 is better because it has a party and few more stats or whatever. My point is that neither are good, they are going downhill. They don't compare well to even old RPGs, and the old RPGs don't compare well to classic MMOs.

And it bothers me game devs today haven't played EQ and understood it. I feel like being on a plane and learning the pilot has never flown anything except for this one plane. Damn... Can't we have a Sully type person who was in Nam and knows his shit!

Whow whow whow.
vault.jpg

Also, why are you referencing Skyrim as a modern RPG? Did you know, Skyrim's release date is almost closer to EQ's release date than it is to today?

If I ignore most of what you said, I do think that the market is ripe for a well-dome MMO where the world is dangerous enough to force players to group to do anything and doesn't provide the kind of tools to let the game handle the grouping / loot for you, which would kinda go at what you want. I wouldn't play it myself though, maybe when my kids move out of my house in 18 years???
I don't even know if a new EQ would work. People are so different now and I don't think many people would accept being kicked in the balls like EQ did to people over and over. But I just think it is sad when someone talks about going to a KOOL DUNGEON in Skyrim or something which is little more than a few corridors. Bitch please! Go play in Sebilis and Guk and Chardok and stuff! Or I get some new indie RPG with 'overwhelmingly positive' on Steam or something, and then find it has about 10 loot items and 4 mob types. 2 towns... 18 magic spells... In the whole game. And people are all excited about it in the comments. Tragic! Huge decline.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bitch please! Go play in Sebilis and Guk and Chardok and stuff!
Bitch please, go play Outward, Kenshi and Dark Souls. I love those games because they are difficult and punishing. They don't have the spell/item bloat you seem to enjoy though.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Wow. It's like someone made an AI using nothing but all the posts on here with the word "Everquest" in them.

But, it failed to compile.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
You can find it boring but don't pretend it was broken unbalanced game because it wasn't.
You can try to rewrite history all you like. A huge portion of this board was there from the beginning in EQ and all of us know what a buggy, unbalanced, broken... and yes FUN game it was. But you can take the rose colored glasses and stick them up your ass.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

I don't even know if a new EQ would work. People are so different now and I don't think many people would accept being kicked in the balls like EQ did to people over and over. But I just think it is sad when someone talks about going to a KOOL DUNGEON in Skyrim or something which is little more than a few corridors. Bitch please! Go play in Sebilis and Guk and Chardok and stuff! Or I get some new indie RPG with 'overwhelmingly positive' on Steam or something, and then find it has about 10 loot items and 4 mob types. 2 towns... 18 magic spells... In the whole game. And people are all excited about it in the comments. Tragic! Huge decline.

It wouldn’t. The most EQ like MMO to come out in terms of tone recently was New World and 90% of the population peaced out

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Bitch please, go play Outward, Kenshi and Dark Souls. I love those games because they are difficult and punishing. They don't have the spell/item bloat you seem to enjoy though.
No way, Eq dungeons are way better! And have other groups and crazy shit happening, invisible walls, traps, you need two types of invis to explore and neither work 100%. No brainer. Also what item or spell bloat in EQ? Most people hardly had any items at level 10, maybe some cloth. By 20 just some bronze junk. Every item was famous and every new spell was exciting. And they didn't just call them Fireball1 Fireball2 Fireball3.

• 1Hodjing
You can try to rewrite history all you like. A huge portion of this board was there from the beginning in EQ and all of us know what a buggy, unbalanced, broken... and yes FUN game it was. But you can take the rose colored glasses and stick them up your ass.
Like what? You don't want balance you want homogenization. May as well play an FPS?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Like what? You don't want balance you want homogenization. May as well play an FPS?
That question clearly shows how little you understand the difference between diversity and balance. Glad you've never tried to make an RPG. It'd be shit.

• 1Worf

Kaines

Potato Supreme
So what examples of broken unbalanced EQ are there? CH was neither broken or unbalanced.
CH wasn't broken but it was INCREDIBLY unbalanced.
Charm was incredibly unbalanced.
Pathing was ALL KINDS of broken. And the pathing exploits that were unfixed to this day are well known.
Quests were buggy/unfinished.
Dot stacking was broken.

I mean, did you really even PLAY this game?? It sounds like you didn't.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't think you understood the post.

Your post was completely retarded.

Eq is better than Witcher 3 because it had more spells!! Is the dumbest damn thing I've read in a while.

It also had "lava" that was just red colored water where you took a small amount of damage per second. You also had enemies that would aggro you and run back and forth like they're on a meth binge instead of towards you so they created an idiotic summon mechanic and dumb shit like death touches.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah, combat, especially for the melee, was lame as hell in EQ. Casters had a bit more fun with all their tools and such. Healers became essentially heal bots. Especially later on when the 3-6 box meta became a thing.

Nah man, hitting "A" then your kick button every 8 seconds was fucking amazing. Why didn't Witcher 3 or Skyrim have anything that awesome?

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users