Modern Family Season 4

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe I just can't find the thread

Last night's episode was a big bag of meh until the end, then it turned epic so quickly.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah last night's episode was kind of boring until the end. Which was hilarious.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mentioned that on one of the old boards after the community service episode when I noticed. Pointed it out to my brother this week and a bit later he told me "thanks, now I can't stop looking and I feel like a creep."

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alix has a horrible mother and dates older men.

Haley is a 22 year old teen

Luke is a secret genius who graduated high school at 13.

The Dunphy kids are weird.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
That's amazing that Luke is part of Mensa.

When you said Alex dates older men, I expected something like 30+. He's 18. That's not considerably older and should not really be significant.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
18 and 14 is a pretty large gap. Not unheard of, of course, but if I had a 14 year old daughter dating an 18 year old, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's basically a college freshman banging a highschool freshman, that's a big enough gap to be weird. Enough to make the dude a creep. Fourteen.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Pfft, she's 15 now, not creepy anymore.

Also, Luke graduating high school at age 13 explains a lot. The kid is genuinely funny.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, am I crazy or his the latest season(5) been a huge turnaround for the show and really made it worth watching again? They've reined most of the retarded over the top one joke parts of the characters, like Gloria and Cam being shrieking caricatures, and gotten back to making the jokes funny because they're funny and not because of the stupid reactions of the characters(BAZINGA LOLOL!).

Also the latest episode,Under Pressure, was one of the best yet. Lots of laughs but also seriously emotional and pretty deep with some actual character/relationship building. And not the usual hamfisted "Awww we all wuv each other" shit shoehorned in at the end.

iannis

Musty Nester
I kinda feel the opposite way, like the show's getting a bit stale. Don't get me wrong -- it's still a good show and I still watch it and I still laugh at a lot of the jokes and it's still in the top3 list of "best comedies on network". But a lot of the scenes recently I feel like the writing process is not so much writing a character but writing an established set of jokes, and they're not always new jokes either.

Phil and Claire I still enjoy. It's the same old shit with those two -- but it's gonna be, of course. That's the setup. The jokes are fresh. You can't re-use Phil's god awful puns and "sounded better in my head" wordplays. They're still doing some new things. But like Alex, Haley, Manny, and unfortunately even Luke have gotten completely flanderized to the point where just seeing a scene with them in it I absolutely already know what the scene is -- you don't even have to tell me anymore. The rest of the cast wanders around week to week on that spectrum of "Claire/Phil solidly good -- Children solidly bad".

But it's still a great show.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I kinda feel the opposite way, like the show's getting a bit stale. Don't get me wrong -- it's still a good show and I still watch it and I still laugh at a lot of the jokes and it's still in the top3 list of "best comedies on network". But a lot of the scenes recently I feel like the writing process is not so much writing a character but writing an established set of jokes, and they're not always new jokes either.

Phil and Claire I still enjoy. It's the same old shit with those two -- but it's gonna be, of course. That's the setup. The jokes are fresh. You can't re-use Phil's god awful puns and "sounded better in my head" wordplays. They're still doing some new things. But like Alex, Haley, Manny, and unfortunately even Luke have gotten completely flanderized to the point where just seeing a scene with them in it I absolutely already know what the scene is -- you don't even have to tell me anymore. The rest of the cast wanders around week to week on that spectrum of "Claire/Phil solidly good -- Children solidly bad".

But it's still a great show.
agree with these points.

i'd rank the kids
alex, haley, lily, luke, manny. at this point the boys' development is so bad i'd rather see the stupid little girl just be cute rather than see a forced manny story.

the problem with manny is that he's a fat, unpopular, wierdo - yet they're still trying to shoehorn this stupid persona of him being a ladies man with years beyond his age. just let him be a fat, unpopular, wierdo... failure is cool.

if they can make haileys fails work, they can make manny work.

this recent eps with luke wasn't bad and i hope they stay on point with it and let luke grow... they were almost there, but then we see him dancing like a fruit in the end, why can't he get away from his dad and stop being his dad's best friend and let him be his own person... they almost had it.

gloria is just unbelievably hot, that's it she has nothing to give to the show, nor should she... her only chance at being a human being is taken away when they hire a live in n(m)anny, she can't even grow as a person with her kid, the hired help is doing it for her.

the gays are just being a gay couple, they really don't have substance (still) other than being a gay couple with an asian adopted child, while trying vehemently to give kam a purpose in life.

phil and claire really are the rock and glue of the show, without them it'd be a mess. Claires story is perfectly fine, kids are going going gone, and she now has the time to have a career and do something (even if it is handed to her)

spronk

FPS noob
I have always disliked the show when it tries to go for that "awwwww..." saccharine family moment, but do enjoy all the crazy Phil, Claire, and Al Bundy moments. If Alex and Manny died tomorrow and they adopted two more asian babies the show would probably be a lot better. The writing isn't "tight", a lot of times characters are doing long setups for gags or situations that aren't very funny. Yes, its maybe interesting to examine Alex's feelings of intense pressure and the disconnect she feels from her family, but none of it was really funny and it took about 6 minutes of episode time.

Compared to Brooklyn 99, The Goldbergs, or Trophy Wife MF seems miles behind in the comedy, acting and writing departments. Not saying its a terrible show, but its near the bottom of my weekly watch lists now.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The little girl has the best lines in the show. (also I agree I really enjoyed the last episode)

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I gave up on this show at the beginning of season 3. It had gradually declined from S1E1 to then, and by that point I was just so fucking sick of the gays, the shrieking hispanic woman, Manny, etc.

Such a PC diversity circus. Really obnoxious.