Monkey Man (2024)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It looks good. I don't mind bollywood movies. I went to college with a lot of indians. I studied with them so I saw there movies.
Having a person of Indian descent who was born and grew up in England does not make a film Bollywood.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Having a person of Indian descent who was born and grew up in England does not make a film Bollywood.

Liberals often steal aesthetics and re-interpret them

Usually if they make these aesthetics the main point of the product it ends up sucking. But it can be interesting if it's a small integration

DickTrickle

Usually if they make these aesthetics the main point of the product it ends up sucking. But it can be interesting if it's a small integration
I'm unsure what point you're trying to make here. Do you really look at that trailer and think Bollywood aesthetic? Bollywood does not encompass all Indian filmmaking or all films involving Indian people. And this film certainly has nothing in common with the masala films that are typically associated with Bollywood filmmaking.

On a superficial level this is Indian John Wick.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Can you tell me how you know the political leanings of Dev Patel other than the assumption that he's an actor so must be "Liberal"?

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's funny how everyone thinks Dev is from the ME. The guy is shim
Can you tell me how you know the political leanings of Dev Patel other than the assumption that he's an actor so must be "Liberal"?
Dev always came off as a centrist. Like Denzel, he's young and stays away from bait

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Haven't seen it yet and I'm reading this thread to gauge reactions, FOH is actually a good place to get some honest and intelligent appraisals of movies.

I like the premise. Face of the resistance style: Elites are not immune from the wrath of commoners and poor folk.

But I hear there is some tranny shit in this which will be polarizing? ICYDK, Bollywood has been a bastion of progressive values for years but has recently taken a turn to become another boring right-wing orgy.

But never, never write off a movie or studio a priori because it's not Hollywood. Hollywood has been fucking trash for years now. I've not seen a Bollywood movie and have put it off because it sounds like it's a beta Indian rip off of Hollywood, which sounds extremely unappealing.

But then I saw both Raid movies, then Night Comes For Us, and it was some of the coolest and brutal shit I've seen. Asia is a fucking talent for action movies through that alone and they can beat the piss out of Hollywood. Good to see Iko and Joe Taschim or whoever find their way to bigger projects. Both deserve it.

• 1Picard

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Holy fuck can idiots stop calling this a Bollywood movie, lmao

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Bald Brah

Silver Squire
B
Holy fuck can idiots stop calling this a Bollywood movie, lmao
Bollywood is a step up from British films though.

Besides, India runs the UK now. It's as bad as jews in the USA.

1713182640401.png

DickTrickle

Haven't seen it yet and I'm reading this thread to gauge reactions, FOH is actually a good place to get some honest and intelligent appraisals of movies.

I like the premise. Face of the resistance style: Elites are not immune from the wrath of commoners and poor folk.

But I hear there is some tranny shit in this which will be polarizing? ICYDK, Bollywood has been a bastion of progressive values for years but has recently taken a turn to become another boring right-wing orgy.

But never, never write off a movie or studio a priori because it's not Hollywood. Hollywood has been fucking trash for years now. I've not seen a Bollywood movie and have put it off because it sounds like it's a beta Indian rip off of Hollywood, which sounds extremely unappealing.

But then I saw both Raid movies, then Night Comes For Us, and it was some of the coolest and brutal shit I've seen. Asia is a fucking talent for action movies through that alone and they can beat the piss out of Hollywood. Good to see Iko and Joe Taschim or whoever find their way to bigger projects. Both deserve it.
This is neither a Bollywood film nor aping Bollywood style/aesthetics. You say you haven't seen the film but have read this short thread and yet you couldn't absorb that information?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I was told this is basically Street Shitter John Wick, does it live up to that description?

• 1Like

Szlia

This is somewhat competently done, but feels more like a string of citations of other revenge movies than something original. There are buds of ideas here and there, but they never really bloom.

I did not time it or anything, but if I had to guess, I would say about a third of the movie is action, split in two long sequences (a first vengeance attempt that fails - I guess it's a spoiler for the people who thought it was a short film - and a second one as the finale). That's pretty far from John Wick or The Raid in India.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wasnt a bad movie, just a bit long. Thought it was gonna be more of a revenge story than it was. Action scenes were awesome and lots of it.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
how many Bollywood dance sequences were in there? Our resident big brains want to know

• 1Garbage

Szlia

I know you jest, but while the movie is set in India, is written and directed by an english actor who has indian roots (oddly, his parents were actually both born in Kenya) and deals with indian themes (corruption, the influence of sects, hijra, references to the Ramayana), it does not take the form of the type of light action indian blockbusters that often feature dance sequences and over the top action. It rather takes the form of a dark and gritty action movie, so a form that is more universal (note that India also produces films in this style).

DickTrickle

I know you jest, but while the movie is set in India, is written and directed by an english actor who has indian roots (oddly, his parents were actually both born in Kenya) and deals with indian themes (corruption, the influence of sects, hijra, references to the Ramayana), it does not take the form of the type of light action indian blockbusters that often feature dance sequences and over the top action. It rather takes the form of a dark and gritty action movie, so a form that is more universal (note that India also produces films in this style).
I don't know if you're supporting the previous posts about this obviously not being Bollywood despite multiple people thinking it was or if you simply didn't read any of the prior posts and are unintentionally regurgitating that point.

Szlia

I don't know if you're supporting the previous posts about this obviously not being Bollywood despite multiple people thinking it was or if you simply didn't read any of the prior posts and are unintentionally regurgitating that point.
I read the previous posts, but just added some finer points about the content of the movie and a little bit of nuance: the style and form we associate with Bollywood movies is not true for all Bollywood movies and also not exclusive to them. While it's rare to see european or american movies that from start to finish use the codes of indian popular films that feature multiple singing and dancing sequences, it's not that uncommon to see "Bollywood-style" dance sequences in non-indian movies. Wasn't there one recently in one of those film featuring Captain Marvel?