Monster Hunter Series

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
MHX isn't really a new generation - it's more of a all-star/greatest hits of all 4 generations (thus the name).

I'd wager MH5 will be ready close to launch for the NX or whatever the next handheld is in 2017.

Murked

Bronze Knight of the Realm
"Unfortunately, the new system will not come with the game included, a depressing trend we also saw with the Fire Emblem Fates New 3DS XL."

WTF seriously? That's lame.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So I bought into the hype before and had some fun playing the game on 3DS and on Wii U, but can someone tell me why it is so intriguing to keep rehashing the same monsters over and over again? Isn't this going to be the same exact game as all the others?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They're definitely more iterative than they are ground up brand new games. I'd say like CoD or Madden, but that really doesn't seem fair. There is a great core game of doing mostly nothing but killing big boss monsters and not wasting time with clearing trash, etc... So each new one adds a new mechanic or two, maybe a new monster, some new armor, a new weapon, and mini game type stuff.

Plus they're a blast co op. I'm convinced if this came out on a major system like PS4 and not the Wii U or 3DS it'd be great for the NA market.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Dandain, man0warr, and at least 1 or 2 others are usually pretty heavy players. Me moreso on release and a month or two following. I tend to get like a squirrel and just move on to something else though.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I actually picked MH4U again up this spring and got myself Crown Ranked online. There are some really compelling monsters to fight. The thing I like about the MH series is that as a game they are about the only action combat animation locked gameplay that revolves around boss fighting. There's virtually no trash, and at this point 13 weapon styles to pick from. I think the challenge of cutting tails/heads and the different difficulties of the weapon types give the game a broad possible appeal. If it wasn't stuck on the DS it would be bigger in the West for sure. Monster hunter gets better with age, because they have so many monsters to pull from now. In that way its a little less like other franchises. Each game adds a certain number of new encounters and then the rest gets filled out with other monsters they've previously designed. Mounting was a really awesome feature in MH4U I felt, even if certain weapons had an easier time exploiting terrain (IG). I kind of view the franchise as if you want a dark souls boss fight on demand. It doesn't shy away from being difficult either which cannot be said of many games these days.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Well with the new aerial style everyone should be able to mount super easily this time. I have like 215 hours in MH3U and 250 in MH4U, got up to silver crown and every weapon and armor set I wanted. Without a GRank I hope this one has just as much content.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I really liked what I saw of World/Iceborne and decided to go back a few games. Starting with MH3U and MH4U (yeah, simultaneously), then Generations, Rise, and finally back to World.

MH4U seems way more advanced than 3U on QOL and so forth, it's surprising considering they launched close together. Matter of fact MH3U seems so un-advanced despite being HD that it feels like if I'm gonna go that far back I might as well also get/play MH1 and 2 on the PS2. Someone talk me out of that because I feel like it's one of those things the completionist side of my brain will want to do, then the rest of my brain will regret it midway through. Playing PS2 games now is -rough-.

Hopefully MH3U is giving me most of the MH1 and 2 experience in an HD form and I'm not missing out.

Really looking forward to the jump to Switch after these.

I've only played 3 and 4 for a couple hours each, but is there seriously no dedicated lock-on button in those games? I MUST be missing something. Especially in 3 it's getting annoying trying to attack smaller foes without a lock-on.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So MH3 was a Wii exclusive, and has all the caveats of that. It was out for years before MH4 released on the 3ds. So the ultimate version of either is going to eclipse the original, but anything MH4 related is going to shit all over MH3. Which don't get me wrong, Tri was my jam back in the day. I really liked the water mechanics even if they haven't revisited them thus far. MH3 was a big departure from the previous two games, but everything after is just more evolution.

I haven't messed with Rise yet but it's coming out for PC next year (what, in a couple days?) and so far PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (seriously I cannot put enough of these) console versions of the games. It's absolutely night and day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So MH3 was a Wii exclusive, and has all the caveats of that. It was out for years before MH4 released on the 3ds. So the ultimate version of either is going to eclipse the original, but anything MH4 related is going to shit all over MH3. Which don't get me wrong, Tri was my jam back in the day. I really liked the water mechanics even if they haven't revisited them thus far. MH3 was a big departure from the previous two games, but everything after is just more evolution.

I haven't messed with Rise yet but it's coming out for PC next year (what, in a couple days?) and so far PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (seriously I cannot put enough of these) console versions of the games. It's absolutely night and day.

I loved World, was my first time really getting into a MH game. Tried going back to get my fix so to speak, but just couldn't. MHW was just so much better imo. I skipped Rise on the Switch, waiting for the PC version (Jan 12th), and while I am looking forwards to it, I have to say that I am eagerly awaiting MHW2. Gameplay is king in these games, but limiting the games to consoles with hardware equal to phones these days puts a serious damper on the graphical aspect. Rise on PC will of course be better with higher framerates and faster loading (MHW was so much better on PC compared to the PS4), but graphically it is very cartoony. Also puts a limit on size and scope of the world and monsters.

I'd love for MHW2 to be much "darker" in terms of monsters and such. Can still have the cutesy cats and such which is a staple of the series, but also combine it with a more scary world. Dark woods, creepy caverns and the likes.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Sounds like MH3U is a good starting point if it's a big departure, and the start of modern MH if you will.

I probably won't do MH4U side-by-side anymore because yeah, it shits all over 3. I figured I could play one at home and one on the go. I'll probably just book it through 3 and then continue on.

I'm guessing these aren't the kind of games you "book it" through to get to the end, though, and I can probably expect to spend like 70 hours minimum getting to the end credits even if I don't do that much optional stuff.

I have zero doubt these games are my jam because my favorite parts of FF12 and FF13, by far, like it isn't even close, were the optional monster hunts, which played out a lot like these MH games. So playing entire games of those kinds of hunts sounds great. I just wish there were a lock-on so I could play it like Souls.

Delly Delly I've revived your thread yet again!

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Delly Delly I've revived your thread yet again!

I saw this earlier but it didn't register to me that it was my thread from years ago!

Glad you're having fun with the older games. I imagine for most people the QoL from MHW is very hard to come back from let alone the vast gameplay improvements. I think that is one of the best parts of the series though. You can see each game that they're trying new things, working out some of the rough areas, but still sticking to the core ideas. Just seeing the evolution of the mechanics from one game to the next is pretty cool.

And I agree that MH3U is a good starting point. You're not missing much and it would probably be more of a chore than fun to go back further than that.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I saw this earlier but it didn't register to me that it was my thread from years ago!

Glad you're having fun with the older games. I imagine for most people the QoL from MHW is very hard to come back from let alone the vast gameplay improvements. I think that is one of the best parts of the series though. You can see each game that they're trying new things, working out some of the rough areas, but still sticking to the core ideas. Just seeing the evolution of the mechanics from one game to the next is pretty cool.

And I agree that MH3U is a good starting point. You're not missing much and it would probably be more of a chore than fun to go back further than that.

That's good to hear. I'm gonna stick with MH3U.

It's cool to see the evolution of various serieses, provided you don't need to jump back too far. I've found that the 2001-2008 pre-HD timeframe is the hardest for me to return to in terms of console games. PS2/GC games especially have this weird dark murky unpleasant look to them. I'm thankful for remakes of games from that era that "complete" a series, like Yakuza and Final Fantasy both did.

Speaking of FF, that and Dragon Quest are my two favorite JRPG serieses, but I also saw both of them evolve as they launched. (I played the NES ones during the SNES/PS1 era but it still wasn't a problem at that point). If I'd never played either series aside from the most recent entries and tried to go back to the early games now it'd be rocky at best if they didn't have the remakes they have. Same with Demon/Dark Souls, glad I played all of those in order too. I'm hoping the MH series ends up being a kind of FF/DS amalgamation for me and I like it as much as I like those.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Generations ultimate on switch had enough quality of life stuff to put the hours in. It is a damm good monster hunter. MH world was my first entry and remains my favorite game of all time.
Rise is good and I am hoping PC version will pull me back in but it is definitely missing something that made world so good. It could be it just isn’t as beautiful or the weapons are extremely unbalanced but going to play the shit out of it when it drops again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users