Monster Hunter Series

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Generations ultimate on switch had enough quality of life stuff to put the hours in. It is a damm good monster hunter. MH world was my first entry and remains my favorite game of all time.
Rise is good and I am hoping PC version will pull me back in but it is definitely missing something that made world so good. It could be it just isn’t as beautiful or the weapons are extremely unbalanced but going to play the shit out of it when it drops again.

Rise is more in line with the original MH series with some QoL stuff from World, but it is a literal continuation of the base series ..

Hopefully hear something on World 2 eventually this year.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rise is more in line with the original MH series with some QoL stuff from World, but it is a literal continuation of the base series ..

Hopefully hear something on World 2 eventually this year.
Honestly if Hammer wasn't pointless in rise I would like it more.
200.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I just started Monster Hunter Stories 2. While very kid focused?, it is also very addictive. Not done much, just off the tutorial island, but enjoying it. Makes me look forwards to Rise as I've only tried the demo for that for a few minutes.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
They are entirely different games other than the namesake. MH:Stories is like babies first rattle and every other MH series is where you become a man. With that said I think the stories line is a really great introduction to familiarize yourself with names, items, grinds etc. and a similar game play loop, but it's a JRPG where you can close your eyes and press 1 button the entire time and be fine. The other MH games require at least a modicum of skill and active focus.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've checked out both MH4U and Generations Ultimate in the past week (just briefly on both counts, don't want to ruin MH3U which is the one I'm actually playing). GU on Switch really does look like a huge step up from 4U, which looks like a huge step up from 3U.

I came here to say that I'm really surprised that the character models haven't changed at all through the 3 games. You've got the same single semi-overweight model for female characters in all 3 games. It looks...bad when you're on the character creation screen, but in-game it isn't that bad, at least. If I'm going to watch a character run and jump around for 70 hours, it needs to be a fairly attractive character. There's a reason Sun Shang Xiang and her short-shorts was the only character I ever maxed out in Dynasty Warriors 4.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've checked out both MH4U and Generations Ultimate in the past week (just briefly on both counts, don't want to ruin MH3U which is the one I'm actually playing). GU on Switch really does look like a huge step up from 4U, which looks like a huge step up from 3U.

I came here to say that I'm really surprised that the character models haven't changed at all through the 3 games. You've got the same single semi-overweight model for female characters in all 3 games. It looks...bad when you're on the character creation screen, but in-game it isn't that bad, at least. If I'm going to watch a character run and jump around for 70 hours, it needs to be a fairly attractive character. There's a reason Sun Shang Xiang and her short-shorts was the only character I ever maxed out in Dynasty Warriors 4.

I believe, (I think I'm not 100% sure on this I know for Frontier they did it this way)

Models are only updated when new animations are introduced into the game, mainly new weapons make them re-jig models for everything too work right.

When they added Tonfa too Frontier the animations were well interesting, and also flying in a game designed mainly for ground combat was majorly busted it took them awhile too get this fixed though.

Same when they added the Switch Axes too frontier also, not nearly as bad as what Tonfa was.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, I tried really hard to get into MH3U and 4U, but I just couldn't do it. They're too antiquated. While MH4U is pretty much killed from the get-go by the old 3DS control scheme, especially camera movement, MH3U feels like it has a ton of potential. The lack of lock-on and objectives just makes it way too much of a time-killer without getting anywhere. I bet I would have loved MH3U if I'd played it back when I originally wanted to, when I first got a Wii U in Fall 2015 or so. I was catching up on a lot of Wii/Wii U games around that time so it would have fit right in.

Regardless, I'm gonna give Generations a whirl next. I hope this one can stick. Seems like it's the closest thing to an MH5, a continuation of 3 and 4 with more QOL. If it works out, I'll go on to Rise and then World (since Rise is more similar to Gen than World is). Five minutes into Generations and it's already head and shoulders above MH4U due to how far superior the Switch OLED screen is to the 3DS. Can also actually rotate the camera normally now.

rieter

Molten Core Raider
I havent really ever been a fan of the MH series, Ive given it a shot through the years and bounced off pretty hard each time. World I spent the most time in at about 8 hours. I picked up rise on sale last weekend on pc and im already at 43 hours in or so. I know thats not alot of time in a MH game, but for me, thats something. Something just clicked in it and I absolutely love it. Im really looking forward to Sunbreak when it comes out in June. I think its the wirebug and the doggo is what does it. The ability to move quickly and have a mount to ride to keep the flow going is nice, it doesnt feel like there a real break in pace for me. I hope they keep those and add them to World 2 or whatever so theres updated graphics with it too. Thats the one thing I do miss about World was it did look really pretty.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user