Monster Hunter: World

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Btw since I haven't really played MH before, what are the restrictions on changing weapons? Is it just a matter of having the materials to craft a decent tier weapon of another type, or is there some sort of skill specific to weapons so you'd have to go back and hunt some early shit to use a new weapon? A bunch of these weapons look cool to me so I'd like to try various playstyles, just wondering if I can just switch freely.

You can try any weapon whenever you want, given that you've crafted it, but it is not on the fly swapping mid combat or anything. The only restriction is that you cannot change your weapon or armor away from town or possibly the hunting camp now in MHW. The hunting camp which can just be considered the standard starting location for any biome.

There should be a free "newbie" weapon for all 13 weapons. If this is your first monster hunter game, you should seriously try them all out. Find your style, its part of the elegance of Monster Hunter. There are weapons with extremely complicated move trees, and others that are simple by comparison. Your save file is a giant canvas that you can hunt and fill with whatever armor and weapons you want to harvest the mats for. The bottle neck to upgrading multiple weapons simultaneously is that they may require parts from completely unrelated hunts, or they can share a rare drop or 3. There is a "money" cost to upgrading, but that will not be your limiter unless your goal is to "try and make everything". Trying out different weapon types is most rewarding at the start of your save file.

Weapon crafting is so complicated that describing it is dumb. In light of that here is a link to the resource that all monster hunters previous to world have required referencing to min max planning. Some are not that great, some are elemental, some are status, many are precursor weapons. Some are sharper than others (this interacts will monster defense values on a body part basis to determine damage per hit and move). There is a giant chain of beasts that are necessary to hunt to traverse any weapon from its first to final forms. The weapon crafting imformation contained in the next link, appears to all be in game at the smith (a fucking amazing change). Hopefully armor gets the same treatment.

This is only one weapon, the longsword, this shows every single weapon stage and its name in the game.

Long Sword - MH4U - Kiranico - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Database

Here is the information chart for the simple monster, the dragon, Rathalos. Also from the same database.

Rathalos - MH4U - Kiranico - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Database

Things to notice, are the resistance levels by body part to different damage types, including physical. The status vulnerabilites follow, and as you descend the page you'll see all possible drops, their percentage chance, quests the monster is part of as well as all the weapons and armor Rathalos drops create. The percentages of Rathalos damage zones are all quite friendly to all 13 weapons, but some monsters aren't so universally (mostly) vulnerable to all weapons. Although for example, a fire elemental weapons fire damage component will be almost entirely resisted, while dragon or thunder are 1 and 2 for elemental types. Extreme resistance or vulnerability are not features of early game monsters.

The core of the game really is about learning the monster movements/tells, and then wielding whatever weapon to maximize damage to the monster and minimize it to the player. As difficulty goes up, the speed of the monsters, movesets, and the durations and combinations of tells all get more complicated. A lot of the variety comes from the environment. Players can dominate with any of the 13 weapons, but some of them have few true masters. One other thing to remember is the game contains a load of items that are universal to all the weapons, traps, bombs, potions etc.

Longer than I intended, I love me some monster hunter.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's how I figured it worked, just wasn't sure. Wasn't expecting mid combat swap, just meant like if there were a numerical value with specific weapons so the more you use it the more dmg you do which means changing weapons means hunting low lvl shit for a while like some games do, or if the only limit was whatever you equipped so that's good. Still need to wait for this to release first.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Your stats are 100% derived from your current weapon/armor. If you play 1000 hours of longsword, make a max level switch axe. Given your skill with the moveset of the switch axe is equivalent, you can shit on things instantly. There is no punishment for weapon type changing. You may even find that hunting specific monsters with specific weapons is something you enjoy too. Edit: You may also need to craft a set of armor to compliment the switch axe too.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
This is going to be terrible just like all of the previous MH games

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
To add to what Dandain posted, I hate crafting. Hate that fucking shit with the fire of 1,000 sun's.

I love MH crafting. The whole premise of the game is just perfect from a progression and equipment point. You don't go get 15 bear asses and 28 kola nuts. You go find a big fucking wyvern dragon thing and break his talon off and go create your weapon of badassery. There's no spending 2 hours clearing trash mobs. Then you group up with some friends and go kill the uber badass terror bird, or fish, or raptor that shoots lightning from it's ass and rinse and repeat.

Fucking dragons man!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's gotten alot better lately, but still there are some pieces that are stupidly rare but that is the balance point of the game, high level monster gems(Hearts basically) but its' nothing like in 3U were you had to create your character at specific times for medallion tables drops..

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It's gotten alot better lately, but still there are some pieces that are stupidly rare but that is the balance point of the game, high level monster gems(Hearts basically) but its' nothing like in 3U were you had to create your character at specific times for medallion tables drops..

FUCK charm tables

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully they normalize the armor. Having to have a set for Melee and Ranged is stupid.

Thought this was already announced?

When you equip a melee weapon you get defense, when you equip a range weapon you gain elemental resist, at least that is what one of the recent videos show.

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Depending how much time is between the console and PC release will determine if I buy both or not.

Also, some armor skills from IGN Gamescom.

Head

Hunter's headgear - Stun Resistance 1 (3 max)

Forest Helm - Speed Eating 1 (3 max)

Jagras Headgear - Recovery Up 1 (3 max)

Anja Headgear - Attack Boost 1 (7 max)

Ingot Headgear - Defense Boost 1 (7 max)

Chest

Hunter's Armor - Attack Boost 1 (7 max)

Forest Armor - Recovery Up 1 (3 max)

Jagras Armor - Defense Boost 1 (7 max)

Anja Armor - Fire Resistance 1 (4 max)

Ingot Armor - Ice Attack 1 (5 max)

Gloves

Hunter's Gloves - Stun Resistance 1 (3 max)

Forest Gloves - Stealth 1 (3 max)

Jagras Gloves - Speed Eating 1 (3 max)

Anja Gloves - Fire Attack 1 (5 max)

Ingot Gloves - Defense Boost 1 (7 max)

Waist

Hunter's Flauds - Master Mounter 1 (1 max)

Forest Flauds - Recovery Up 1 (3 max)

Jagras Flauds - Recovery Speed 1 (3 max)

Anja Flauds - Attack Boost 1 (7 max)

Ingot Flauds - Stun Resistance 1 (3 max)

Legs

Hunter's Leggings - Cliffhanger 1 (1 max)

Forest Leggings - Stealth 1 (3 max)

Jagras Leggings - Speed Eating 1 (3 max)

Anja Leggings - Fire Resistance 1 (3 max)

Ingot Leggings - Critical Eye 1 (7 max)

2 utility slots for mantles or special equipment

Ghillie Mantle - Duration 120, Recharge 300 - Conceals you from enemy view temporarily. The effect expires if you perform an attack or take damage.

Glider Mantle - Duration 180, Recharge 210 - Increases jump airtime and grants the power to ride strong winds. Also makes it easier to mount monsters.

Challenger Mantle - Duration 180, Recharge 300 - Prompts monsters to target you more often and makes them easier to lure. The effect expires if you are attacked.

Rocksteady Mantle - Duration 90, Recharge 360 - Eliminates damage reactions, prevents wind effects, protects you from your hearing, and grants tremor resistance. You also receive less damage from attacks.

Health Booster - Duration 60, Recharge 150 - Places a smoker that gradually restores your health.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Really looking forward to this. You playing on PS4 or PC Janx Janx ?
What Delly said. Might end up getting it on both because playing with the PS4 broskies would be great + PC master race.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What Delly said. Might end up getting it on both because playing with the PS4 broskies would be great + PC master race.

PC has a much later release date right? I'd prefer PC but I want to play soooon!