Monster Hunter: World

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'd get this on PS4 regardless as I'd imagine it will have the larger playerbase.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
4U charge blade is back, with the 1 improvement from Generations that was made + tons more, might actually use it again..

All the Mantles, Gillie/Rock steady/Challenger/Glide( that are available in the demo so far)

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Jesus fucking christ at the Heavy Bowgun vs the Great Jagras. I am not sure if that was considered overgeared the encounter, or if it is just ludicrously powerful. Some of those new shots do absurd amounts of damage.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Jesus fucking christ at the Heavy Bowgun vs the Great Jagras. I am not sure if that was considered overgeared the encounter, or if it is just ludicrously powerful. Some of those new shots do absurd amounts of damage.

Could easily just be a dev build.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya for all the demo stuff the Capcom guy's always have "endgame" setups, special weapons that are always end game setup, most of the bows/guns in them have access to every single shot available in the game, so people can play around.

So far I'm happy that there is no, Hunter arts being shown(and are probably not in), while they were a nice idea, people didn't really like the "style" system because of locking out specific combo's from weapons, I am curios though if gun's still have there "natural" shots, shells that are always available for every gun, made it easier, cause you didn't need too carry around all the components to make specific shots.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that Arekkz guy who made some of the videos posted here said on Twitter it's purposefully easy for the demo to keep the playsessions short. Don't want people spending 30mins hunting stuff when you have queues and stuff. Gear is supposedly higher, and they might have reduced mob hp but yeah.

Anyway for a demo of a game coming out in like 6months, it sure seems pretty polished. Like I'm sure they still have a ton of work to do on assets, but looks solid already.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
What they've shown definitely looks solid, but I wouldn't expect them to show the stuff that isn't solid and they'll be working on for the next six months either!

Hopefully the PC release won't be too far behind the consoles. If its more than a couple months I'll break down and get it for the PS4.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I didn't realize they were changing armor skills so much, hard to tell how much this will change the mixing and matching game but I'm thinking this will benefit hunters. I know most of my endgame armor setups always has a few loose points.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm hoping it is more of a "normalization" so-to-speak rather than having to juggle all the different +/- attributes. Although we didn't see any negative attributes in the vid I guess. We'll hopefully still be able to mix and match and with charms, etc have a lot of variability depending on build.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
There are a lot of unknowns, but my initial impression is positive. Not because I hated the previous system, but the worst part was looking up what armor pieces had the skills needed, sockets, gems and charms doing like a 5 hour min max google fest to figure out what parts needed to be collected if the set worked. Allowing armor to be usable as you make each piece is also a better experience. Having to craft an entire new set before equipping it is a less good new player experience.

When he showed evade in the video it had five levels of potency, even though it took 15 points previously in evade to get a third level of potency. Negative skills are not really a huge loss, because no one would run around with a negative skill if they understood that -9 was nothing bad. By rebalancing points, and stretching out the scaling there should be a better feeling system with all the same difficulties of stacking certain combinations of abilities. I am not 100% certain, but I think if you think about all the armor skills as like a combinatorial problem, there should be a redesign to this system to maintain virtually all of the utility while making it just better feeling obvious and intuitive. Presentation and gradient of skills really only seems to be the new things here, and I think that this is just better.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
There are a lot of unknowns, but my initial impression is positive. Not because I hated the previous system, but the worst part was looking up what armor pieces had the skills needed, sockets, gems and charms doing like a 5 hour min max google fest to figure out what parts needed to be collected if the set worked. Allowing armor to be usable as you make each piece is also a better experience. Having to craft an entire new set before equipping it is a less good new player experience.

When he showed evade in the video it had five levels of potency, even though it took 15 points previously in evade to get a third level of potency. Negative skills are not really a huge loss, because no one would run around with a negative skill if they understood that -9 was nothing bad. By rebalancing points, and stretching out the scaling there should be a better feeling system with all the same difficulties of stacking certain combinations of abilities. I am not 100% certain, but I think if you think about all the armor skills as like a combinatorial problem, there should be a redesign to this system to maintain virtually all of the utility while making it just better feeling obvious and intuitive. Presentation and gradient of skills really only seems to be the new things here, and I think that this is just better.

This problem has actually gotten a lot better with, Kiranico website they have everything translated already, you can go thru and select what "skills" you want for armor/weapons, they have even sort-of figured out charm chances(some of the charm info is there but alot is still missing, Thanks RNGesus) it will still probably be a problem, but it does look like they have simplified some of the abilities.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
It still takes an enormous external database to figure out what your goal in the game is. As someone who loves the games, I put up with it and appreciate the database for what it does. But it is not fun, and it is poorly designed from a player optimization standpoint. These new systems, should they be less obtuse than previous systems just are automatically better. They could be worse, but they were so old and archaic I am optimistic that almost any redesign that involves the game itself will be a thousand percent superior. Maybe we will still be tied to a third party database regardless, but it'd be nice if it was all in game.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
With them doing the weapons database into the game, I bet they have expanded it into armor as well, wouldn't really be that hard to poke a database to get the information, sense it's already built for weapons, but I bet some external databases will be needed, for min/max just the way it is.