Monster Hunter: World

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
PS4 IDK, but I imagine data mining mods on PC make it a ton easier.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
And there is my biggest question... how in the world with all the hidden math that makes Everquest look detailed on its info, did they come up with MV in the first place. I mean yeah numbers pop up but there are no actual damage logs or anything like that so I'm curious how they are able to accurately break that down to the nth degree like that. I guess recording gameplay and just literally freezing it and counting actual numbers you see etc. It just seems like a shaky foundation to build that much exact math on. When I say that I'm thinking of these dudes Jinx and Tuna who legit have spreadsheets on this shit. It blows my mind how they are able to get that granular on a game that almost seems to actively prevent the actual real picture from being painted here.
I think motion value is extrapolated from the true raw and the damage that pops up when you hit. Also once the PC version released a lot of stuff could be datamined/confirmed better. I believe they were waiting for the PC version of Iceborne to do a lot of the serious math they couldn't do on consoles.

Anyway yeah it's interesting to see this game has such complex mechanics under an otherwise fairly simple gameplay.

Ultimately though you can just play whatever you want and while some options are truly bad, most of the stuff is just only slightly worse. Like if you want a weapon that doesn't look like ass like Acidic Glav shit, you can probably still use something else and not lose THAT much. Maybe your hunts take 20-30secs longer but unless you're speedrunning that shit won't really matter that much. If they'd just add layered weapons though, they keep making these event weapons with cool/funny skins but most of them are just bad(Rocket greatsword was the big exception being somehow the best weapon for all of vanilla, the upgrade is garbage though).

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really wish Layered armor was like transmog. IE I love how Nergagante's set looks but want/need to wear a much worse looking set. Why can't I equip my Nerg set in my layered slots? That would be so awesome.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really wish Layered armor was like transmog. IE I love how Nergagante's set looks but want/need to wear a much worse looking set. Why can't I equip my Nerg set in my layered slots? That would be so awesome.

There is layered Nergi armor in Iceborne when you get to the end of the campaign. Guiding Lands is where you get mats for layered armor sets. I finally got my bae Layered Armor Bezelgeuse Set!

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh wow cool! Good to hear because my son was curious what his set looked like and I was like "damn.. that's actually pretty sweet looking..." I also love the zombie dragon's Alpha set too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
All High Ranked armor is now layered once you get to Guiding Lands. Which is the area you need for mats for augs and all the late game stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think motion value is extrapolated from the true raw and the damage that pops up when you hit. Also once the PC version released a lot of stuff could be datamined/confirmed better. I believe they were waiting for the PC version of Iceborne to do a lot of the serious math they couldn't do on consoles.

Anyway yeah it's interesting to see this game has such complex mechanics under an otherwise fairly simple gameplay.

Ultimately though you can just play whatever you want and while some options are truly bad, most of the stuff is just only slightly worse. Like if you want a weapon that doesn't look like ass like Acidic Glav shit, you can probably still use something else and not lose THAT much. Maybe your hunts take 20-30secs longer but unless you're speedrunning that shit won't really matter that much. If they'd just add layered weapons though, they keep making these event weapons with cool/funny skins but most of them are just bad(Rocket greatsword was the big exception being somehow the best weapon for all of vanilla, the upgrade is garbage though).

The Turkey Leg Hammer could be good. It has very high raw but shitty sharpness. The space hammer is complete shit though. The Guild Palace weapons all have stellar sharpness so they will probably be good. I am going to use the Guild Palace Hammer, Greatsword and SNS. They also look sweet as hell.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh wow cool! Good to hear because my son was curious what his set looked like and I was like "damn.. that's actually pretty sweet looking..." I also love the zombie dragon's Alpha set too.
Only on consoles for now and Nergi was just added today, but yeah once you get to endgame you can actually use all the LR/HR armors as layered. Still can't use MR but they've been adding them steadily so probably the next big update in a couple of months they'll have the early MR stuff and eventually everything.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, as someone who flew through the story of the core game I have like no decos, lol. Most builds I look up almost every single deco they use I've never even seen before.

Gotta do a lot of farming / melding.

Still really enjoying Insect Glaive (Kdachi Vipertail I), but only like MR4 and HR25.

Steamworks seems silly, this was my haul yesterday.

View attachment 245254
The Greatest Jagras event is active, under High Rank events. Running that will give you up to 36 lvl1-lvl3 deco's. Doing the Gather events in Hoarfrost will give you some of the lvl4 deco's too, and those are quick.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The Greatest Jagras event is active, under High Rank events. Running that will give you up to 36 lvl1-lvl3 deco's. Doing the Gather events in Hoarfrost will give you some of the lvl4 deco's too, and those are quick.

Damn, I'm only HR25, Greatest Jagras requires HR50.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, think I'm still in the 30's. Missed out on the winter event as well due to this. Might be able to boost it this weekend though, we'll see.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, think I'm still in the 30's. Missed out on the winter event as well due to this. Might be able to boost it this weekend though, we'll see.

Some of the event quests offer bonus MR points. Do some of those.

Really can't recommend the steamworks enough. It will probably give you more shit than spamming Jagras. If you're a bit fresh you will generally be looking for these decorations. In no particular order.
  • Expert
  • Tenderizer
  • Critical Boost
  • Guard (if lance or smth)
  • Attack
  • Partbreaker
  • KO
These are going to be the core of a lot of builds for a lot of weapons.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I am a long time monster hunter fan, its literally the only reason I owned handhelds in the last 20 years. I realize this is 210 pages late in some sense. I skipped MH:W because a buddy of mine who I enjoyed the series with the mostly said it was too easy, didn't keep his attention. Knowing the G-Rank release of all previous games, I just opted to wait.

So compared to the old games the things I like.

1) I don't need an external companion website to plan what to farm and build. What they've done in game is nice, I can check out everything with reasonable ease. Including the bestiary.
2) Its not handheld, its visually very appealing.
3) I have enjoyed the new moves for the single weapon I have played. I am a longsword player, I just like the relative speed and back in the day I wanted to cut off tails, this is where I started and I struggle to switch to anything else, the enjoyment isn't the same! I might try some new weapons eventually, I hope they are all interestingly new but similar for players of other weapons.
4) Its still pretty novel to see the monsters interact and figure out how to get into the fray and do some work.

Some things they changed that I understand why, but that definitely changed the way I played.

1) The punishment for carting has been massively lowered by being able to eat again on the quest. In previous titles an early cart was generally a fast abandon and restart. It definitely makes expeditions extendable in a nice way.
2) Being able to interact with the item box on the quest really eases up failing, I don't remember being able to ever access my entire stash like this.
3) The skill system is better and (deco's), but the consequence is that I have looked like a dumb idiot all the way instead of wearing a coherent visual set. Making a full set of anything was much less necessary because of partial skill points, and actually seemed very suboptimal to make full sets. I miss looking awesome by not having to wear more complete sets. This also had the consequence of feeling like I farmed parts far less. With decorations being end game, much like mentioned above I've looted almost nothing so far of note, which really pigeonholed me into wearing gear with decorations I wasn't allowed to find yet.

I didn't want to spoil the experience of the L-H-M chain so I purposefully didn't use the defender items, I mostly play this solo and am not driven to min/max to the endgame I had to wait more than a decade to get off handhelds. I did the quests to unlock the beginning of Iceborne, just the first two expediions. Then I went back and fought the two tempered bazel's as it was clear that upgrading my gear into Iceborne would trivialize some of the content from world. So instead of doing that I've opted to do some High Rank expeditions and find those missing *'s in high rank.

Its great fun monster killing again, I really do enjoy the game. It seems that it is far more accessible than is ever been, but it still has the majority of monster hunter under the hood. You can still get shoulder slammed, tail whipped and eaten stunned and slammed by Deviljho in short order even in high rank. I do think the ranged weapons must be substantially finer to aim especially on PC.

I've played entirely with the steam controller, and it seemlessly works with the haptic pad running like a mouse. So that's just a a nice compliment to the PC port.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
A lot of older MH players are split on MHW because on one hand, it is a lot easier, a lot stuff is less punishing and like you said being able to refill your inventory mid quest makes a huge difference, some strategies involve switching weapons or sets between phases, you never run out of healing or ammo(without having to run around and gather new materials to craft new potions) and so on.

On the flipside the game has never been more popular(granted it probably helped releasing it on standard consoles rather than portables) and it's still a solid game with a fair bit of challenge to it in the endgame.

I don't really see Capcom going back to the old school MHs with how much MHW sold(literally their best selling game ever, and that was before Iceborne) so your friend might end up having to get used to it since I assume the next MH will probably similar to MHW rather than to previous iterations. And with portables being more or less dead other than the Switch, which I doubt they'll bother making a version for until they upgrade it to Switch Pro or Switch Too or whatever other name Nintendo figures out, the next game will most likely be consoles/PC again. Probably next gen, or maybe both gens(uglier version running on current stuff and better version running on future consoles, guess it depends on when they want to release it).

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I agree, its never going back. And for the most part it is better, this kind of sales means we get more games. If there is a full on game every few years on PC, shit I'll take that over never seeing one. It is nice to see the game get so much popularity, it bodes well for experiments and other systems being added or tweaked to the game for a long time. Plus having this fidelity of monster/visual bodes will for future turn around times and eventually a stupidly huge bestiary on modern rigs. At the core there is no other game that lets me pick up and smash action game style in 10-40 minute chunks without a ton of fluff. I hope that being unrestricted by harddrive space allows us to have an ever increasing number of maps. It would be awesome to have a huge number of regions in the game if they can port things forward.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
OK. My Guiding Lands is 7/7/4/1. Should I lock this up for now?

Also what the hell do I need to do to get these missing augment mats? Most are still damn question marks. Lance/Gunlance without health kinda sucks ass with the chip damage monsters give ya.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
OK. My Guiding Lands is 7/7/4/1. Should I lock this up for now?

Also what the hell do I need to do to get these missing augment mats? Most are still damn question marks. Lance/Gunlance without health kinda sucks ass with the chip damage monsters give ya.
I imagine tempered monsters in the areas you dont have leveled. Have fun!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Looks like I have both the zones I need for health augment at level 7. Just have to get a tempered Namielle to pop