Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Funnnnnnnnnnnnn ran around all over wyrmsbane with a group. Blind as a bat and it was dark. Fun times! Little way into 7. Really enjoying Cleric.

We died horribly and tried punching our way back down, was hilarious.

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
These are the only 2 that turned out decent:
mm04.png

mm03.png

We had another group following us around and did some stuff kind of over our heads.

I was completely lost and some corridors are just pitch black. I am using a 2 hander but I think next time I'm going to try to get some kind of 1 hander + torch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
Funnnnnnnnnnnnn ran around all over wyrmsbane with a group. Blind as a bat and it was dark. Fun times! Little way into 7. Really enjoying Cleric.

We died horribly and tried punching our way back down, was hilarious.
I was soloing on my almost level 5 cleric just destroying shit with a cracked staff. I also found that red dragon shield from their dragon they spawn on some random vendor for like 1s 35c. Lol.

Ultravision screenshot from last week.
Screenshot 2023-11-12 141247.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Nice! That's a steal. I think Cleric will be my starting class.

I noticed this time they let you directly map spells to keys. I had hell getting it all set up the way I wanted but once I did it is nice. Everything is double bindable which almost got us killed at first.

I always have big heal on Y, smaller on T, then stuff on R and E. E starts out bound as autorun so I couldn't cast that, then I hit t and it tried to send a tell to the person I had targeted :emoji_laughing: . I had to go remove the original binds, but I do like being able to bind multiple things to one key.

There was an enchanter in the second group. They had a charm pet going and we kept accidentally beating it up when it broke. They have some pretty strong indicators of a mez which I eventually learned to stop breaking. Enemy is kind of hunched over with some pink particlry.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Very entertaining but i gotta ask..

What will happen to this when Project Lantern takes off and is able to be implemented on EQEmu Servers?

Aside from what I mentioned before about the game being SUPER early into the dev process, I feel the target market for this game will be people from EQ1 and that's about it. Fortunately the devs have done amazingly well on the social media side and the word of mouth is impressive, so I dunno if I can fully state that it's JUST the EQ1 crowd.

---

Any criticism of the game that I would have at this point would be eclipsed by the fact that it's so early in the dev cycle. Things like quests pointing you to the wrong places are pointless to bring up given that most of the city is still in grey-box phase.

Some things that certainly need work are things like the scale of the city, I assume this is gunna be one of the "Main" cities but it just feels like they have a ton of fluff and space used but for no real reason other than "CITY BIG!" You have a ton of city sprawl but why? Compared to places like Freeport or Qeynos, it just feels like I'm running and running and running and running for no other reason than to give me scope of scale but then there is a ton of wasted space in open areas.

A cool concept is the merchants only buying what they want, but dear god if this is gunna be the case...then inventory management is going to be a nightmare and 90% of the "Loot" from mobs is gunna sit on corpses because no one has bag space for the junk. You only really have space for what...3-4 bags? I don't think bags go into the generic slots. I laughed a GOOD amount when I did my bard quest and it gave me a 6 slot combine bag and on turn in, gave me a 2 slot bag, LOL..

---

I wanna see how this game turns out but currently looking at Lantern and Evercraft too.

Lantern won't even have to worry about content since it just takes the EQ1 content and overhauls it in a new engine.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Is lantern writing a new client? I've thought about doing that.

Yeah, the foundation of Lantern is based in Unity.

I don't wanna shit on MnM too much because the world they create could be super engaging but if peoples goals is to snipe people from the EQ1 crowd, that's a super small market that resists change in a pretty major manner.

---

Current Lantern release is 0.1.6.

You can XP in a solo experience EQ right now but it is all super basic.

Preview of 0.1.7:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think there's plenty of room for multiple. I don't really live in games 24/7 anymore. I pop in during starts, during chaos. Have fun for a few weeks then do something else.

I'm even going to try that warcraft season of buggery stuff that is coming up in a couple weeks.

These are small projects so as long as they aren't buried in costs in the initial rush they should do fine with a few thousand players.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It looks like lantern is going for accuracy. I'd make light sources per pixel and do some fancy shading at least :D

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think people are vastly underestimating how quickly a game like this can take off. Just look at something like Valheim as a barometer.

1 Asmon stream and your playbase will instantly shoot up by thousands. Some of the younger generations will stick around, because they've literally never heard of EQ nor have any idea what a "slower" MMO is like to play. Hell, some of them haven't even really experienced WoW.

That said, I do agree that the market is still fairly limited, but there's a massive amount of untapped 14-18 year old aspies who have never been outside. Hell, a ton of us were completely enthralled in '99 and very few had spent much time at all behind a computer screen. Kids nowadays live behind one - which does mean the novelty isn't as huge to them as it was to us, but most have still never experienced a game like EQ.

First

Trakanon Raider
Some things that certainly need work are things like the scale of the city, I assume this is gunna be one of the "Main" cities but it just feels like they have a ton of fluff and space used but for no real reason other than "CITY BIG!" You have a ton of city sprawl but why? Compared to places like Freeport or Qeynos, it just feels like I'm running and running and running and running for no other reason than to give me scope of scale but then there is a ton of wasted space in open areas.
Night Harbor is the largest city planned. Areas of many districts have areas marked off for player housing and merchants. Portions of the city are also meant to be available as adventuring areas - depending on your faction choices those areas may differ a bit. Think something similar to Velious cities.

I had the same reaction you did when I first entered the city and ran around. A buddy and I said much the same stuff to each other and were concerned. FWIW, it actually feels like it may be too small at times now. Think of the city as the world's Constantinople or Waterdeep/Calimishan. It's not a Sanctus Seru that is just meant to be huge and empty.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, the foundation of Lantern is based in Unity.

I don't wanna shit on MnM too much because the world they create could be super engaging but if peoples goals is to snipe people from the EQ1 crowd, that's a super small market that resists change in a pretty major manner.

---

Current Lantern release is 0.1.6.

You can XP in a solo experience EQ right now but it is all super basic.

Preview of 0.1.7:

Will LanternEQ support playing on existing emulated servers?​

This is a complicated topic and the real answer is that we don't know. Integration with existing emulated servers is possible down the road, but is not a current focus. It also complicates things as different well known servers are based on multiple versions of the EQEmu source. Additionally, as the client is a reimplementation from scratch, it will never match the original client completely.
Wait, so are they redoing the entire server-side too? That seems like a mountain of effort to duplicate something EQEmu already did.

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Night Harbor is the largest city planned. Areas of many districts have areas marked off for player housing and merchants. Portions of the city are also meant to be available as adventuring areas - depending on your faction choices those areas may differ a bit. Think something similar to Velious cities.

I had the same reaction you did when I first entered the city and ran around. A buddy and I said much the same stuff to each other and were concerned. FWIW, it actually feels like it may be too small at times now. Think of the city as the world's Constantinople or Waterdeep/Calimishan. It's not a Sanctus Seru that is just meant to be huge and empty.

I keep writing and stopping..I don't HATE the idea of a "Prime" style city bit the issues is if you are trying to slow down the experience of an MMO (Away from the Min-Max concept / mindset) then having a prime city kinda goes against that ideal.

I wouldn't say "belabor the point" in regards to making people trek back to "Starting Cities", but some level of effort to return back to attain things of worth would be nice. If you place everything in a Prime city then your player base will always question you if you DON'T have access to all class trainers and vendors in that city.

From a lore standpoint, it really doesn't make sense to have ALL the classes in one city unless you are going to create friction. An example would be, necromancers and shadow knights would be constantly set against Clerics and Paladins in a massive city. This could be a source of really good lore (possibly world level lore in the sense of expansions and content) if used properly but you really need to have a goal with what you want.

All that said, the game is super early. I want to see more and not just en eye-candy "more".

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I keep writing and stopping..I don't HATE the idea of a "Prime" style city bit the issues is if you are trying to slow down the experience of an MMO (Away from the Min-Max concept / mindset) then having a prime city kinda goes against that ideal.

I wouldn't say "belabor the point" in regards to making people trek back to "Starting Cities", but some level of effort to return back to attain things of worth would be nice. If you place everything in a Prime city then your player base will always question you if you DON'T have access to all class trainers and vendors in that city.

From a lore standpoint, it really doesn't make sense to have ALL the classes in one city unless you are going to create friction. An example would be, necromancers and shadow knights would be constantly set against Clerics and Paladins in a massive city. This could be a source of really good lore (possibly world level lore in the sense of expansions and content) if used properly but you really need to have a goal with what you want.

All that said, the game is super early. I want to see more and not just en eye-candy "more".
People THINK they want a "prime" city, because it reminds them of being a total dork in their D&D campaign, where they get to pretend they're living out their Waterdeep furry fantasies.

In actual gameplay terms? It's an annoyingly frustrating experience to move around in when all you want to do is drop your shit off at the bank or sell to a merchant real quick before heading to your grind/raid. At absolute BEST, "prime" cities turn into defacto "hubs" within said game and the rest of the world is completely untouched/unlived in, because everybody congregates there.

How many players hung out in Kaladim or Cabilis? How about Erudin or Oggok? Everyone hung out in/around Freeport because it was the largest, centrally located city. And that later graduated to PoK for the same reasons.

How many people hung out in Thunder Bluff? What about Darnassus?

You get the point. It's a total waste of assets to create megalith cities like that, unless your plan is that everybody goes there and basically nowhere else. In which case you might as well craft the rest of the "starting" areas as pseudo tent cities so you aren't wasting your time/art.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Siliconemelons

You get the point. It's a total waste of assets to create megalith cities like that, unless your plan is that everybody goes there and basically nowhere else. In which case you might as well craft the rest of the "starting" areas as pseudo tent cities so you aren't wasting your time/art.

EQ2

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Perfect example.

Freeport and Qeynos were stupidly fucking massive for no reason whatsoever and traversing them was a massive pain in the ass, even with the bell system.

Again, the "neighborhoods" idea all sounds cool on paper. But it's dorky shit that only works in Pen and Paper where "traversing" a city is all just in your mind's eye and happens instantaneously. In an actual MMO, playing a fucking walking simulator for 20 minutes to get to the bag merchant is going to have people checking out real fucking fast. Sure, it's cool and awe-inspiring in screenshots or the first 2-3 times I do it. It's a fucking chore when I'm just trying to get ready for the raid/dungeon with my buddies at 7PM and I only have 3 hours before I need to sleep for work the next day.

• 2Like

Groove

Trakanon Raider

• 2Like