Mortal Engines (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
1.00 star(s) Rating: 1.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Mortal Engines

Genre: All

Director: Christian Rivers

Cast: Robert Sheehan, Hera Hilmar, Ronan Raftery, Stephen Lang, Leila George, Jihae, Hugo Weaving, Colin Salmon, Sophie Cox, Caren Pistorius, Aaron Jackson, Mark Hadlow, Menik Gooneratne, Joel Tobeck, Stephen Ure, Kee Chan, Patrick Malahide, Regé-Jean Page, Frankie Adams, Mark Mitchinson

Release: 2018-12-12

Plot: Set in a world many thousands of years in the future. Earth’s cities now roam the globe on huge wheels, devouring each other in a struggle for ever diminishing resources. On one of these massive Traction Cities, Tom Natsworthy has an unexpected encounter with a mysterious young woman from the Outlands who will change the course of his life forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
For anyone curious what Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit) is working on - Mortal Engines, due out Dec 2018. He posted a teaser concept art pic today

ICFC8mo.jpg

The movie is based on a book series, 4 books total, about a post apocalyptic world ~2500 years in the future. The background:

reddit said:
Two millennia ago the Ancients (humans in the 22nd century) destroyed themselves in the Sixty Minute War. The weapons used completely fucked up Earth and caused natural disasters and dried up oceans and left it completely unrecognizable. A lot of technological knowledge was lost after the Sixty Minute War so all modern technology is a sort of Victorian-Era Steampunk. Working Ancient tech, which is much more advanced, is incredibly rare and highly sought after though.

Humans built cities on giant traction wheels and built them up on tiers like a wedding cake. These cities then drove around chasing and stripping smaller roaming towns of resources and enslaving the smaller populations. This has been happening for hundreds of years and food has grown scarce. The first book is set around London.

Sounds pretty cool, like a variant of Horizon Zero Dawn or Fallout. Chick above looks exactly like Aloy.

Stephen Lang (Avatar, Into the Badlands) and Hugo Weaving (Matrix) are already confirmed in it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I'd also recommend The Broken Empire and Red Queen books by Mark Lawrence, also a similar theme although rooted much more in fantasy than post apoc.

While I thought the hobbit series was absolute shit, taking a simple idea and stretching it out to 3 (was it more?) movies, this may seem more in Peter Jacksons wheelhouse - taking a 4 book, complicated series and making it a more manageable set of movies. I have no idea if its planned as a single stand alone, a trilogy, etc.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For anyone curious what Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, Hobbit) is working on - Mortal Engines, due out Dec 2018. He posted a teaser concept art pic today

View attachment 142152

The movie is based on a book series, 4 books total, about a post apocalyptic world ~2500 years in the future. The background:

Sounds pretty cool, like a variant of Horizon Zero Dawn or Fallout. Chick above looks exactly like Aloy.

Stephen Lang (Avatar, Into the Badlands) and Hugo Weaving (Matrix) are already confirmed in it.
Horizon Zero Dawn....what a great game.

Im really interested about this movie btw

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sounds like a Weibo with a fetish for Howl's moving castle/Laputa.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Can't remember much about this, but I do remmeber enjoying reading it. I'm sure they will change the ending of book 1, like they did with Golden Compass.

Malkav

French Madman
Looks good to me.
At least they seem to do a good job with the whole "Municipal Darwinism" aspect of the book.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks exactly like a first movie of a trilogy with the last two canceled.

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Started book one, pretty happy with it so far.

I see I never updated this. Book one was pretty good, the world was interesting, characters were decent, etc. The ending did an odd thing where

fucking damn near everyone dies including many main characters that a lot of time had been put into developing

but other than that it was a solid "C+". I don't plan on going any further in the series though. It wasn't something that I finished and immediately wanted more of. I can't see going to the theater for this though.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I can't watch anything from Peter Jackson unless it gets a lot of glowing reviews. The Hobbit movies were just fucking terrible. I was a fan of his early works like LotR and Dead Alive, but he went way too far in the wrong direction for me.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I can't watch anything from Peter Jackson unless it gets a lot of glowing reviews. The Hobbit movies were just fucking terrible. I was a fan of his early works like LotR and Dead Alive, but he went way too far in the wrong direction for me.

Ya I hear you. The BS with trying to stretch out The Hobbit...

He does have more good/great than bad, so I will see. Only director I will never see again is M Night Shyamalan.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Finally saw Split. Only decent thing from him. He did ruin his own reputation. Everything since the Sixth Sense has been pure shit
split is amazing in that the whole movie, your like "wtf is this shit, change your body through chemistry bullshit, arh", then you see the ending and you're like fuck it, i'm in cuz

there's gonna be another movie

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ya I hear you. The BS with trying to stretch out The Hobbit...

He does have more good/great than bad, so I will see. Only director I will never see again is M Night Shyamalan.

Unbreakable, Signs, and Sixth Sense were what I consider good. Split gets a lot of good word of mouth, but as it has been described to me by others you sit through two hours of shit for 5 minutes of awesome. Fight Club managed to do the big twist that changes the entire perspective without everything before the end credits sucking dick, so I never gave it another look. Lady in the Water pretty much tanked me for ever seeing anything by Shamalamadingdong ever again.

Peter Jackson I get the Hobbit hate, since he milked the fuck out of those, but I bet New Line had as much to do with that as he did (if not more, by inserting Legolas and Femolass into it). I did like his King Kong remake, though it had some needless gore in it.

• 2Picard

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Wait, what? Are you shitting on Fight Club right now or am I misunderstanding?

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fight Club is cool when you're 14.

Then you realize Tyler Durden is either full of shit, or is going to be responsible for a revolution that results in millions of deaths through famine.

• 1Worf
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database